If you are thinking of using WSL you may want to think again.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
This is yet another way hackers will try to corrupt your systems.
Malware detected.

Bringing the Linux kernel to Windows, IMO has always been a mistake.

Where windows goes, trouble follows

WSL isn't MSFT saying "We like Linux!", like people think.

It's MSFT saying, "Hey, now you don't need to switch to Linux."

Yep it's M.S.'s way of trying to stop defections. Don't think it working for them though.

Don't think it working for them though.

I do. We still haven't had the Year of Linux on The Desktop. They're still the dominant player on the desktop and that shows no sign of changing. Linux consistently grabs (depending on your sources) 2 to 3% of the desktop market.

Linux dominates in the server market, however. That's been true for a long time (in the tech world years).

Linux also dominates in the mobile market, if we're willing to count Android.

But, no... I'm not seeing a great migration from Windows on the desktop to Linux. I'm not sure that we ever will.

Yep it's M.S.'s way of trying to stop defections. Don't think it working for them though.
I think it's just MS trying to give a big fat middle finge to WINE. I mean most Linux stuff is portable anyway. Of course I'm killing myself laughing at this all backfiring on MS because in the name of marketing, they've shot themselves in the foot... And their users, yet again (it makes you wonder how many times the Windows userbase is prepared to be kicked in the nuts before they take action, unless they're masochists).

Linux also dominates in the mobile market, if we're willing to count Android.
Hmmm, Android, IDK. It's not GNU AFAIK. Then again, Debian "kFreeBSD" is still Debian without the Linux kernel... "What defines an OS? What defines reality?" Maybe Tim Leary could hold one of his "sessions" for us to contemplate it. My take is we should call GNU/Linux "Lignux" and pronounce it "Lie nix" (most outsider already pronounce it like that anyway). But colloquially, we've come to use these terms, so in context, no, Android and non-GNU embedded systems aren't "Linux" as we've come to call GNU/Linux, but rather "Linux-based". Apart from anything else, Android exploits a lot of legal stuff to allow OEMs to lock us out our own devices, so that goes against the way we define Linux by principles/ethics.

But, no... I'm not seeing a great migration from Windows on the desktop to Linux. I'm not sure that we ever will.
So far as migrations, just wait until Windows 11 starts "not supporting" some hardware all the other stuff they warned about such as compulsory TPM etc. I don't expect the end for MS or a majority market share for Linux (ever? Apple are still farting against thunder there) but I think the Linux userbase will go up to around 10-25% in the couple of years following 11's full rollout and beginning of forced upgrades, which is a leap compared to where we are. Unlike with Win7 and WinXP, people can't stay on Win10 coz technically MS could force-update them to 11 or brick their PCs (I wouldn't put it passed them to provide zero-day updates to 10 now already), so users will have nowhere to hide and that fact alone will piss them off to the point where they'll migrate because by then there's a good chance that all AAA games will be decently playable on Linux and a lot of them natively so.

The verifying of downloads etc is an area that causes concern in Linux.

It is usually the new people to Linux who throw their hands in the air when they look at a page showing how to do this...... Because all they see is a complex mess surrounding the terminal.....it is an instant turn off, (i dont blame them)...and the usual result is they simply do not do it. We have to remember they have been in Linux probably for less than an hour so the sight of all that crap in a terminal and different directories etc ect is daunting

They will trust to "luck", hoping they are ok because of the source of the download.

Yeah, it is complex, and it's hard to understand if you don't grow your knowledge starting from the basics,... but that's the same as everything in security. Starting with the password and second factor of authentication basics, and all the way down to the rest.

We think everything is safe by default and it's not. And sometimes we boast around saying that Linux is secure by default, which is blatantly false, contributing to these scenarios.

As far as the Migration, Many have already switched after the Windows 10 thing, but Window 11 promises to send more folk the Linux way. The year of the Linux desktop is a myth that is not going to happen. But a good number of folks will come to Linux in the future to escape MS choices that do not go well with older hardware. I believe the desktop is on it's way out. eventually cloud computing of some sort will be the norm. Either the Chromebook model or something similar. The desktop as we know it will be a memory in the next 10 to 20 years.

Because I mentioned in a previous thread that Big Tech is digging it's own grave, and will eventually fall into it, Linux (and the BSDs to a lesser extent) will be the only OS left afterwards. Perhaps the Year of the Linux desktop will come in a way we won't foresee. However, it would be interesting to see the BSDs gain more traction as well.

As far as the Migration, Many have already switched after the Windows 10 thing, but Window 11 promises to send more folk the Linux way. The year of the Linux desktop is a myth that is not going to happen. But a good number of folks will come to Linux in the future to escape MS choices that do not go well with older hardware. I believe the desktop is on it's way out. eventually cloud computing of some sort will be the norm. Either the Chromebook model or something similar. The desktop as we know it will be a memory in the next 10 to 20 years.
Actually, that has been my biggest fear since mobile phone processing power has skyrocketed. Now I see foldable screens (I never believe that would happen, I always though it'd be some sort of slide-out thing that joined seamlessly). But yeah, I really am dreading that day, whichever supersedes Desktop PCs in the end.

Actually, that has been my biggest fear since mobile phone processing power has skyrocketed. Now I see foldable screens (I never believe that would happen, I always though it'd be some sort of slide-out thing that joined seamlessly). But yeah, I really am dreading that day, whichever supersedes Desktop PCs in the end.

With SoC devices, they can be used to create micro-PCs, so its not too far off from being the future. Personally, I see the tablet replacing the desktop since it's already replacing laptops.

With SoC devices, they can be used to create micro-PCs, so its not too far off from being the future. Personally, I see the tablet replacing the desktop since it's already replacing laptops.
Now you've given me a scarier thought. Imagine:
You get home from work, you plug your phone into you monitor and "devices hub" (externally-powered USB hub) to which you mouse 'n keyboard, your gamepad, speakers, mic, and whatever other peripherals are connected.
Scarier thought, still: Phone's bootloader is locked!

Now you've given me a scarier thought. Imagine:
You get home from work, you plug your phone into you monitor and "devices hub" (externally-powered USB hub) to which you mouse 'n keyboard, your gamepad, speakers, mic, and whatever other peripherals are connected.
Scarier thought, still: Phone's bootloader is locked!

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but if the phone was built with open-source hardware (on top of being powered by FOSS), would it prevent that scenario from happening?

Probably. I mean there are those Pine Phones. IDK about the on-chip firmware, but definitely on a BIOS level, if it free as in libre, this could be avoided (as long as we don't get govt mandates).

With closed evils, there is always the possibility of being able to flash ROMs (even if you had to resort to something physical like that Russian dude did to reset the page counter chip on his "broken" printer that was deliberately set to "break" randomly after N pages), but it's risky and you'd need a device to flash another.