IF You see this PLEASE Help

Lokman8

Credits
Hello,
as you can see from the title i really need help
i use kali linux 2021.1
and i was using firefox just browsing and then i restarted firefox cuz it was acting weird ,after i opened it all of my data was just gone nothing was there (no logins, no accounts , no bookmarks .....) i tried to see if there any profiles in my firefox but there wasnt any , so i decided to reboot my system,And everything was GONE all my files my projects my pictures my apps all of it just gone , even my configuration, i didnt install any shady app or anything like that, i was gonna post my past commands from terminal but the history is just clear.
this happened just now and i really need my files and data pleaseeeeeee help.

Lokman8

Credits
Scroll down on that page for your answer. You deleted a ton of important stuff. There's no magic fix for that.
what they said wasnt a fix,quick question can i still use my system normally or did i delete some system files cuz its running normally

craigevil

Credits
Lesson learned, Never use commands without knowing what they will do.
Also never input commands from some random website.
Personally I would reinstall, or even better install a distro that is meant to be used daily.
You have no idea what might be missing, reinstall.

captain-sensible

Credits
I can give you another tip: I just booted latest kali live from usb this version : 5.10.0-kali3-amd64

Timeshift appears to be in repo : see attached image

Timeshift helps with reverting . I don't know much about it since i'm a Slackware user mainly and timesh
ift isn't available for slackware. There is a thread/tutorial on this site all about it

I agree with craigevil ; best learn Linux using something like Mint or Ubuntu. Of course if you do that && also have kali live with persistence ,then you can have your cake and eat it

Attachments

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
You've probably deleted some important config files in your /home/<user> directory. Some of them will recreate themselves when you open the applications again - like Firefox should create a new profile and stuff like that.

Frankly, you're better off restoring from backups or doing a nice clean installation. You're also probably better suited to using a different distro. Kali is for advanced users, which you are not. Take some time, as others have suggested, to learn to use Linux. Then, after a year or three you can use Kali without much trouble.

Vrai

Credits
Stop. If you keep using the OS it will become very much more difficult to recover data.
Reboot with a "Live" version of some Linux distro and copy all your data that you can.

Then refer to @KGIII 's post above.
You're also probably better suited to using a different distro. Kali is for advanced users, which you are not.

Lokman8

Credits
thx for all the replies i reinstalled kali ,i cant switch to linux mint or anything cuz im learning some penetration testing +programming so yeah

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online

Latest posts