installation help

Guevan01

Reaction score
Credits
hello
i am using xmg apex 17 model. just want to know more about linux. i wanted to install ubuntu without uninstalling window OS. I really need your help.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

Get a 16GB or larger USB disk, not a cheap one and recommended it's USB v3.0 or later. I don't know about your particular computer model but if it's ten years old or older, then you could get an USB v2.0 disk but it will be slow. Download one of the Ubuntu ISO's, just decide which one. Don't decide on Lubuntu only because it has the smallest size, because if you don't like LXQt desktop environment it would leave you judged about all of Ubuntu. If your computer is older, however, you might want to avoid "Ubuntu" which comes with GNOME which could want a lot of memory and CPU power. It's because it's going to have Wayland protocol, not X11, and will insist on the Snaps which require a lot from the computer. Actually the Snaps will have to be dealt with on any Ubuntu flavor and might be a good thing for you, but if your system is ten years or older you might be able to afford only Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu. Kubuntu is nice but is about as bloated as GNOME with the visuals and other trickery.

(EDIT: Please note that the distro just called "Ubuntu" is the one that comes with GNOME. The other "flavors" are named according to the desktop environments they carry. For example, Kubuntu comes with KDE, Xubuntu comes with XFCE. But they all come from the same Canonical Ltd.)

Now, about putting that ISO into your USB disk, I know how to do it the Linux way. On Windows would have to use Rufus or other program which is less reliable and that's why I'm going to leave it to somebody else to describe it for you.

Don't be scared to try the live distro. Good luck and enjoy the ride. :)

Latest posts