Installing AMD GPU on Ubuntu 22.04

I have an AMD RX6600XT, which is a decent video card by standards. I don't load anything. The kernel does.

As @business_kid already state you don't need proprietary drivers with an AMD gpu on Linux. I'm using a Radeon RX 7900 XTX and and I am gaming on Linux with the kernel drivers.
Code:
Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: amdgpu

That's what I want the proprietary drivers of the GPU
So why do you think you need proprietary drivers to game on Linux?

I get this error when I place my GPU inside the slot.
Does the rest of the system boot and work, so that you get to a DE(desktop environment)?

How do I get root access to the folder?I don't know what command to use and I use the version 22.04.Should I upgrade to another version?
You just need access to the file

This is my file - look for COMPRESS=zstd - which is mine if yours says lz4 that is an issue you really do not need to be root just to look at it and check - just need it to modify it

1.png

You can also add the admin function to Nautilus to be able to open the folder in root you can get it through the Synaptic Package Manager - in the Search bow type in nautilus-admin

2.png

Also are you running kernel 6.5???
and post back results - see this thread - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum...-error-bricked-my-system-update-to-kernel-6-5

Last edited:
Wolly, when we give you advice, you don't do it. You throw back a lazy man's question. Prefix any command with 'sudo' to get root. I don't think this forum exists to spoon feed users who aren't bothered to do basic web searches and find out for themselves. Remember, the dictionary is the only place where 'success' comes before 'work.'

Wolly, when we give you advice, you don't do it. You throw back a lazy man's question. Prefix any command with 'sudo' to get root. I don't think this forum exists to spoon feed users who aren't bothered to do basic web searches and find out for themselves. Remember, the dictionary is the only place where 'success' comes before 'work.'
^^^ +1....

Lololol!!!!! Says it all, really. Unfortunately, it's symptomatic of an entire generation of M$ Windows users.....

Mike. :p

Generally that /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf file you may need to change COMPRESS=lz4 to COMPRESS=gzip
Save the changes then:

and reboot.
I changed my system to kubuntu and I get another error when I press the command:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-35-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega10_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_6_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_6_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_sjt_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_sjt_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_9_4_3_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_9_4_3_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sdma_4_4_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vcn_4_0_3.bin for module amdgpu

Where can I get these files?
Is this a place to look?

Now that I'm using Kubuntu I get the same error. What should I do?
Does your system boot and are you getting a KDE Plasma login screen?

@wolly :-

Please answer the question you're actually asked.

You keep evading the questions we need answers to and just concentrating on what you're interested in. We can't help you like this.

IF you interact with us, and answer questions when they're asked, you might just find that you'll get the answers you want FAR quicker. This is the nature of problem-solving/troubleshooting; questions & answers are an integral part of the process.

Forums work far better when there is an actual discourse going on. A one-sided monologue doesn't work for anyone, I'm sorry to say.....and "spoon-feeding" doesn't benefit YOU at the end of the day. There's always the forlorn hope that you might actually learn something from all this, y'know?
rolleyes-small.gif

Help US to help YOU. Capisce? That's the way it works.

Mike.
facepalm-small.gif

Last edited:
@f33dm3bits The system shows me the error when I place the R5 240 GPU. Is there a fix?
If you could answer my original question because not all errors matter, if you get a login screen and are just seeing those errors during boot-up there is no problem.
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega10_cap.bin for module amdgpu
Also it says "Possible" which means not necessarily, so the answer to the first question is important.

Last edited:
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_6_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_6_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_sjt_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_sjt_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_9_4_3_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_9_4_3_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sdma_4_4_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vcn_4_0_3.bin for module amdgpu
To add to that according to what I can find those firmware files mentioned are not for your gpu because your gpu uses other firmware binaries.

For example the "navi10_mes.bin" firmware is for the following AMD gpu's.
Radeon RX 5600 XT
Radeon RX 5700
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Radeon Pro W5700
For the AMD Radeon R5 240 (which is based on the Sea Islands GPU architecture), you typically need the following firmware files:
Sea Islands (CIK) microcode:
radeon/si58_mc.bin
radeon/si58_pfp.bin
radeon/si58_me.bin
radeon/si58_rlc.bin
radeon/si58_ce.bin
radeon/si58_mec.bin
radeon/si58_sdma.bin
Common Radeon firmware:
radeon/TAHITI_uvd.bin
radeon/TAHITI_vce.bin
Those are generally included in the package linux-firmware. So again if you could answer the original question.

Last edited:
If you could answer my original question because not all errors matter, if you get a login screen and are just seeing those errors during boot-up there is no problem.

Also it says "Possible" which means not necessarily, so the answer to the first question is important.
It boots with the error and after that the screen returns to normal.
So there is no issue at all?

It boots with the error and after that the screen returns to normal.
So there is no issue at all?
If your system boots normal and only shows those errors during boot then those errors aren't a problem. Just as a last check, I'm assuming you are also getting a login screen and you are able to use your Kubuntu installation?

So you install them or are they already installed?
The firmware binaries are installed by default during the installation and are part of the linux-firmware package. The ones you mentioned are firmware binaries related to AMD graphics cards other than the one you are using..

@business_kid , please back off with the confrontational attitude.

I don't think this forum exists to spoon feed users who aren't bothered to do basic web searches and find out for themselves.

You have been here all of 2 days, and are not in a position to determine what our policies are.

Although it is is bad etiquette to have the same question open simultaneously at multiple sites (whereby helpers at one site cannot be expected to know what helpers at another site are advising), the OP is aware of that now.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

... and welcome to linux.org

My desktop has an AMDGPU and has some of the same missing firmware - here is mine from my desktop

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-21-amd64

it really does not mean anything and does not hurt or cause system errors - you can go here to look for them - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/amdgpu - but I bet they do not exist because AMD never released them to Linux and quite possibly never will

Latest posts