Installing and configuring Brave browser on Debian 11

A little off topic, and if you think so (particularly the OP, @Terminal Velocity ) I can take this elsewhere. ;)

Since Cover Your Tracks gets mentioned, here are the results from my browser of choice

3y69r2m.png

... and that browser is Waterfox G6 (latest version).

I tip my hat to Brian @Condobloke , whom I believe has done an excellent job above, with demystifying Brave settings. I will certainly use that with those of my stable that have Brave on them. :)

Given IMO, that everyone should have two browsers on their Linux (one for contingencies), then if you have for example Brave as your main choice, you might want to look at Waterfox as an alternate.

I have it on all 80 of my Linux Distros, and that covers 4 Linux Families :
  • Debian-based
  • RPM-based
  • Arch-based and
  • Gentoo-based
I have not tweaked the settings, nor added any extensions, to get the above results, they are from the standard install.

Waterfox is based on Firefox, but has a few differences I find make it more versatile. It is slightly faster than Firefox, and it is easier to bring your browser profile with you from another Linux, than Firefox.

My two cents, enjoy your browsing.

Wizard.

Yup and as that'd be expected. Your configuration is unique, altered from the norm in ways most folks aren't going to go. That makes you more easily fingerprinted and potentially less private. So, what you did to increase your security lowered your privacy, making it easier to track across sites sharing information.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Anyone who is obsessed with security/privacy, and goes out of their way to make themselves safer and more "anonymous" online actually makes themselves easier to track!

Security and privacy aren't exactly "mutually exclusive", but it's an ongoing steeplechase with constantly-shifting goalposts. And THAT, unfortunately, will never change.

Having "portabilized" and tested/tried out so many different browsers over the last few years, my honest opinion is that a browser is a browser. They're all much of a muchness; all competent, all relatively safe; some have one feature, others have another, but there's nowt to really make any ONE stand out head & shoulders above the others.

You pays your money.....and you take your pick. There's ONE inescapable fact, however you look at it; they're the "glue" that hold on-line communities together. Without them, such communities couldn't exist...and thus, there is ALWAYS a "trade-off" between being accessible.......and being "safe" (whatever THAT in fact means).

(shrug...)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Update;

My settings for brave have remained the same since I first installed....with one exception

in the Security area I now use quad9 as my DNS provider instead of google

Simply insert this url as a custom dns provider

https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query

ongoing steeplechase with constantly-shifting goalposts. And THAT, unfortunately, will never change.

That's why I call it a process, but the above 'mind set' also works well enough. By process, I mean what you do and how you approach security for your system.

And, yes, it can make you stand out - but I'm a fan of the idea that obscurity isn't security (though it can help).

For example, your password is obscurity - disabling the brute force option and enabling 2FA is security.

I ran a secure office/lab for my business. I also passed a ton of security courses in the military. I was attached to an embassy and later worked in detention. So, security is (also) who you are, something you have, and something you know. There are multiple takes on how to verify all of those things.

Ah well...

So, security is (also) who you are, something you have, and something you know. There are multiple takes on how to verify all of those things.
Perhaps a longish article, or a series of articles, detailing your approach to these issues...?

I am quite sure the interest factor would be high among all members.

Your approach becomes a particular mindset, rather than a set or rules?

Your approach becomes a particular mindset, rather than a set or rules?

More a mindset. I do things like never forward anything through the router so that I can safely use SSH behind the scenes - but you can't connect to that over the 'net as it won't be forwarded. (And yes, I verify this sort of thing.)

I don't really do much beyond that. I don't even bother with a firewall. I'm pretty careful about which software I install, making sure to get it from the project page when not available from the repositories.

I've considered such an article, but I just keep it pretty simple.

I lock down my online stuff a lot better.

Members online

Latest posts