Installing Linux on a Windows 10 PC

wolly

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,I want to change from Windows 10 to Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux because there is an app that I would like to use,

What are the advantages for using Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux over Windows 10?

Should I stay with Windows 10 or should I move to Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux?

I'm a noob at opperating system and I don't know which one to install on my PC!

What are your opinions?

Are both Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux and Ubuntu opperating systems? How do they differ from Windows?

You have to look for Linux alternatives for every application that you use now in Windows, that's the biggest difference

Also,which version of Linux should I download Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise Linux(RHEL)?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a server class enterprise distribution.
Most workplace's pay for a subscription and it may be costly.

The free version of Red Hat is Fedora.
However, keep in mind that Fedora is the test bed for Red Hat.

Red Hat has a different package management system than Ubuntu has.

Since you are new to Linux I recommend Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a server class enterprise distribution.
Most workplace's pay for a subscription and it may be costly.
So Red Hat Enterprise Linux is not an opperating system?

Also,which version of Linux should I download Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise Linux(RHEL)?
Ubuntu desktop download--

Before you download any Linux you may want to share the specifications of your pc.
What exact machine, make and model is your computer?

So Red Hat Enterprise Linux is not an opperating system?
No, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a operating system but it is built for the workplace like company's and corporations that have a lot of server's and they pay Red Had for the subscription.

Before you download any Linux you may want to share the specifications of your pc.
What exact machine, make and model is your computer?
CPU AMD Athlon II X2 B28
GPU ATI RADEON HD 8490
RAM 4 GB(3.5 GB usable)

That's a 2010 machine, it is capable of running any desktop Linux you fancy, due to its age, I would consider one of the lighter builds, Mint LMDE, Linux Lite, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, MX-Linux etc

Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux and Ubuntu opperating systems? How do they differ from Windows?
Totally, I will not kid you, you will be on a learning curve, how steep and long is up to you, and what you want or need to get out of your computer, LINUX is not windows, and operates totally differently to windows, some Applications [we do not call them programs] are made to run on both, those made for windows only fall into two categories, those that will run on Linux using a compatibility layer [wine, bottle etc] and those that won't work at all, But there are many Linux built Applications, in most cases there will be something to do the same job

That's a 2010 machine, it is capable of running any desktop Linux you fancy, due to its age, I would consider one of the lighter builds, Mint LMDE, Linux Lite, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, MX-Linux etc
Those are versions of Linux? I don't understand!

Hi,I want to change from Windows 10 to Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux because there is an app that I would like to use,
Which application do you want to use on Linux?

Those are versions of Linux? I don't understand!
There are over 500 different Linux desktop builds, yes they are some of the popular newbie friendly Linux desktop builds with easy install GUL's [or in simple terms they are all point and click and can be installed using my instructions] { I had an athalonx2 desktop up to 3 yrs ago when the MB got fried]}

Staff online

Members online