Internet connection ceased working

Baddc053

Reaction score
Credits
Last night I rebooted my laptop and after reboot my internet connection failed.
I've changed nothing..no updates or the like. I rebooted the router & modem checked to be sure the password didn't get corrupted, it didn't.
I swapped usb modems, still nothing.
I really don't need to replace the laptop I'm hoping, but will if need be. I'm buying a new USB modem in the morning, but wondering if maybe someone knows of a software patch. Anything...I'm grasping for straws here.

Last night I rebooted my laptop and after reboot my internet connection failed.
I've changed nothing..no updates or the like. I rebooted the router & modem checked to be sure the password didn't get corrupted, it didn't.
I swapped usb modems, still nothing.
I really don't need to replace the laptop I'm hoping, but will if need be. I'm buying a new USB modem in the morning, but wondering if maybe someone knows of a software patch. Anything...I'm grasping for straws here.
which Distro are you using?
If you have inix installed could you post the output of
Code:
inxi -Nn
Also the output of this command
Code:
rfkill list

which Distro are you using?
If you have inix installed could you post the output of
Code:
inxi -Nn
Also the output of this command
Code:
rfkill list
I have the most recent Linux Cinnamon installed.
I tried getting system info and all, but can't find a way to xfer it from the laptop to cellphone. No internet on laptop to mail it to phone.
I'm open for suggestions if there are any.
Today was a crappy day anyway, was a dialysis day, my transportation home showed up 2 hours late, so I had the pleasure of waiting in our 96 degree weather for 2 hours, I was literally baked.
Thank You

can you put the system and networking adapter info into a text file and transfer that to your phone via the a usb connection?

Have you tried rebooting, again ? maybe a few times....

Is the internet connection via an Ethernet cable?.....check the connections...take them out and replug them

Via wifi?...reboot the router/modem. Wait 3o seconds before turning it back on. (do this anyway, regardless of whether it is wifi or ethernet cable....I think you may have already done this....do it again, please.

Do you still have the usb stick which Linux was installed with ?....if you do, insert it and try to boot from that usb stick.
Success ?
If it does boot to the usb, then follow this guide

Thank You.
I tried everything except rebooting from boot disk, will try that in the morning.
If that don't cut the mustard I'll just get a refurbished one from WallyWorld. For $250 won't be too hard of a hit. The present one is 14 years old and has had a tough life and needs a rest.
Thanks to all

Did you check it has not accidentally been put into hard block [flight mode on ] ?
If its not blocked, try a bios purge and re-boot,
save all work, disconnect all cables, press and hold power button down for 60 seconds, then re-start

I have the most recent Linux Cinnamon installed.
I tried getting system info and all, but can't find a way to xfer it from the laptop to cellphone. No internet on laptop to mail it to phone.
Today was a crappy day anyway, was a dialysis day, my transportation home showed up 2 hours late, so I had the pleasure of waiting in our 96 degree weather for 2 hours, I was literally baked.
Thank You
Cinnamon is the desktop eviroment not the distrobution. Is it Mint? or some other distro?
Tell me what the command rfkill said?

And if you can what wifi card is in use?
Laptop make and model number may be helpful also.

Did you check it has not accidentally been put into hard block [flight mode on ] ?
If its not blocked, try a bios purge and re-boot,
save all work, disconnect all cables, press and hold power button down for 60 seconds, then re-start
I'll check that, if I can find it. Didn't know that the laptop had that option. Man, if it ain't one thing, it's a couple others.
We did have a nasty storm, but everything is on an uninteruptable power supply so should have been protected. That is only thing I can think of that it burned out some modem circuit or something?
Thank You for the help, it is appreciated.

Cinnamon is the desktop eviroment not the distrobution. Is it Mint? or some other distro?
Tell me what the command rfkill said?

And if you can what wifi card is in use?
Laptop make and model number may be helpful also.
Mint with Cinnamon
0 wlan dell-wifi unlocked under both soft and hard.
1 Wlan phy0 & 3 want phy2 are the same

If It's a dell wifi card it's most likely a Broadcom. Check and make sure you have the right broadcom driver installed.
you can go to driver manager /or additional driver manager (forgot the name) It's under settings I believe in the menu.
see what it says for installed and recommended drivers for that card. it may also be that it got zapped had that happen to me once. the Dell mini cards are available on ebay.

If It's a dell wifi card it's most likely a Broadcom. Check and make sure you have the right broadcom driver installed.
you can go to driver manager /or additional driver manager (forgot the name) It's under settings I believe in the menu.
see what it says for installed and recommended drivers for that card. it may also be that it got zapped had that happen to me once. the Dell mini cards are available on ebay.
I was thinking that at one point, what changed my mind was that I connected a Netgear usb modem that always worked on the desktop PC, but it wouldn't connect on the laptop, reason it put in my mind, or what's left of my mind, it's maybe a circuit.

I was thinking that at one point, what changed my mind was that I connected a Netgear usb modem that always worked on the desktop PC, but it wouldn't connect on the laptop, reason it put in my mind, or what's left of my mind, it's maybe a circuit.
If it's been zapped it could have wiped the usb circuit also. Do regular usb sticks still work?

I'll check that, if I can find it. Didn't know that the laptop had that option
Depending on its age, look for a key with a transmitter tower symbol, it will either be a solo key somewhere on the top right-hand side or on one of the F keys, if its on the f key then press the Fn key down then the F key with icon [on old dells it may be press hold Fn key then press print screen

Last edited:
depending on your distribution
open a terminal and type inxi -Nn then copy and paste the results back, inxi is available in the software manager if it's not bundled in your distribution

tried getting system info and all, but can't find a way to xfer it from the laptop to cellphone. No internet on laptop to mail it to phone.
you should be able to plug the phone into the laptop via USB cord and just copy and paste the terminal output to a text file and then transfer the text file to your phone

If it's been zapped it could have wiped the usb circuit also. Do regular usb sticks still work?
Yes, everything runs as before, just nothing relating to the network. The usb adapter wasn't connected at the time, I dug it out of my backup supply, and it works fine on desktop.
That's why I'm thinking it's a toast circuit. It tries connecting, just being stubborn and showing it's in charge of the zoo, not me.

you should be able to plug the phone into the laptop via USB cord and just copy and paste the terminal output to a text file and then transfer the text file to your phone
Tried that. Even before everything went FUBAR it wouldn't recognize the cell phone.

Staff online

Members online