Internet connection problem

Aposof

Reaction score
Credits
I have a vodafone router with 2 connections (2.4G and 5G) (just keep that in mind as you read this post)

So when I installed linux mint like 3 days ago, I connected to both 2.4G and 5G connections and it seemed that they both worked just fine, starting from 2 days ago, only 2.4G is showing up on the Wifi connections, so I cannot connect to my 5G internet. Here is what I tried but not worked:

-Restarted the Router
-Restarted my computer

(basically I only tried the restarts). Since I am new to Linux I do not know what else to do to sove this. Can you help?

if you click on the networking icon in the panel at the (usually) bottom right of your screen then click on Network Connections, do the 2.4G and 5G connections both show up? if so, are they listed as separate connections?

if you click on the networking icon in the panel at the (usually) bottom right of your screen then click on Network Connections, do the 2.4G and 5G connections both show up? if so, are they listed as separate connections?
No they don't, only 2.4G shows up.

at the bottom left of the Network Connections window can you click the + button to see if you can add the 5G?

Have you tried booting to the previous kernel?

Yes I can different options pop up like ethernet, wifi etc.
have you tried it to see if it works? after selecting Wi-Fi, you would then click the Create button. i believe you would need to know the SSID for the Wi-Fi tab of the new window that opens as well as add in some info in the Wi-Fi Security tab.

have you tried it to see if it works? after selecting Wi-Fi, you would then click the Create button. i believe you would need to know the SSID for the Wi-Fi tab of the new window that opens as well as add in some info in the Wi-Fi Security tab.
I just tried that, it tries to connect for a while, then it says "Connection Failed". I have entered the SSID and the WPA password, but yet nothing.

I have no idea how to do that. As I said I am new to Linux.

Google will help you out. However, I'm actually preparing to write an article on this very subject!

Depending on if you're using UEFI or Legacy BIOS, the process is a bit different.

If you're using UEFI, the key you want is the ESC key.
If you're using BIOS, the key you want to use is the SHIFT key.

Reboot your computer and as soon as the OEM logo disappears, before the OS has started, press the appropriate key and hold it. The timing can be a bit tricky. If the OS splash screen appears, you missed your opportunity and will have to try again. It's done as soon as POST is finished. If your setup doesn't require either of those keys, you can start pressing them right after booting.

Anyhow...

This should bring up a GRUB boot menu.

You pick the "Advanced Options for _____".

You then select a previous kernel. They're numbered and you should have more than one installed. Pick the one that you were last using when the wireless adapter worked properly. You'll be using the arrow keys to select the choices and the enter button to confirm them.

Once booted, check to see if you can connect to the 5G like you could before.

Google will help you out. However, I'm actually preparing to write an article on this very subject!

Depending on if you're using UEFI or Legacy BIOS, the process is a bit different.

If you're using UEFI, the key you want is the ESC key.
If you're using BIOS, the key you want to use is the SHIFT key.

Reboot your computer and as soon as the OEM logo disappears, before the OS has started, press the appropriate key and hold it. The timing can be a bit tricky. If the OS splash screen appears, you missed your opportunity and will have to try again. It's done as soon as POST is finished. If your setup doesn't require either of those keys, you can start pressing them right after booting.

Anyhow...

This should bring up a GRUB boot menu.

You pick the "Advanced Options for _____".

You then select a previous kernel. They're numbered and you should have more than one installed. Pick the one that you were last using when the wireless adapter worked properly. You'll be using the arrow keys to select the choices and the enter button to confirm them.

Once booted, check to see if you can connect to the 5G like you could before.
When I hold the "esc" key, it just procceds to boot, but without showing the logo, its like stuff going on the screen quickly, (just like when you do something in terminal) and then it goes to the lock screen, "shift" does nothing for me.

i was hoping trying a previous kernel would work, but in the meantime there should be a program called Logs in the menu. you could try checking there after trying to connect to your newly added 5G wifi connection to see if there are any error or warning messages about what is going wrong.

You're doing it too late. If you have fast boot enabled it may be too fast for it to register.

You can also try quickly tapping the key - escape or shift as necessary (depending on BIOS or UEFI). This 100% works. There's no computer this doesn't work on - but the timing can be tricky.

escape or shift as necessary (depending on BIOS or UEFI). This 100% works. There's no computer this doesn't work on - but the timing can be tricky.
since Esc showed boot messages, it should be Shift to get this to work for @Aposof. agreed that the timing of it can be quite tricky unfortunately. i think it may also be specific to the right shift key: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#GRUB_vs_GRUB_2
Hold down (right) SHIFT to display the menu during boot. In certain cases, pressing the ESC key may also display the menu.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to express my appreciation for your assistance on this topic. I've decided to shift gears and won't be pursuing a solution any further.

Thanks for your understanding

This may be of help...
https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-roll-back-a-kernel-in-linux-mint-21-1.43961/

To boot to the Grub menu...it also depends on the motherboard. My old motherboard (Legacy) was tapping the Esc key but this motherboard (UEFI) is tapping the Shift key on boot.
m01101.gif

Members online