Introduction to Linux

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
See Rob's Hash 43 previous page

He is always busy, but usually gets there in the end :)

Welcome

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

brastem

Credits
(LOL) the way I started reading this post from joining this webiste almost had me in tears @arochester, due to the fact of it reminded me of how windows always starts with their greetings (and for me) i was always so eager to turn the damn thing on for the first time on windows 10 I was like "WTF ", from him jumping straight into asking where every little thing was with you coming back with all the answers almost made you seem as if you were Cortana for a bit, hahaha...

Well sorry for moment there, Well hi everyone, I thought I would get on one of these post and leave a message, but who knew it would only be four post in.

Robomech1

Credits
D

Deleted member 92873

Welcome to Linux.org's "Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course". If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no time.

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. One of the things that makes this course unique is that at any point during a course, you can add a note, or comment. This is done in the comments bar on the right hand side of the screen. These comments can be made public or private, and can take any form that you like. Feel free to use them to ask questions, answer other users questions, post code updates, or suggest different methodologies for solving problems.

Linux is a very popular operating system, and this course is followed by thousands of people each day. Due to this, there are a lot of people online who are also in the process of learning it. So please feel free to ask any questions that you have and someone in the Linux Community will probably answer you! Also, this whole site, including the courses are regularly moderated. If you don't get an answer to a question, we will do our best to answer it for you. In addition, please send us your suggestions for how we can improve the courses, any typos that you have noticed, or any errors that you have encountered.

If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.
What is the Linux os for the beginner download to start? I am not sure which is the good Linux OS good for me to do with it. Let me know see if you all have a good info for the Linux choose for beginner start.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
G'day @Zixobical and welcome to linux.org :)

Just start a new Thread at

https://www.linux.org/forums/getting-started.148/

and ask your question there.

Have your computer specs at your fingertips - RAM, CPU laptop/desktop &c - the more information the better, and whether you are using Windows and which version and whether you want to keep it or not.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

D

Deleted member 92873

I have a hp pavilion 15.6 laptop with 10 window also these is a file come up with attachment see my information what you need to see let me know if it is correct one. thank.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
D

Deleted member 92873

I post my computer spec information, do you get it? and I have another two laptops into the box cause one dell is missing with a motherboard, another laptop was Asus has a problem with a black screen no show any os on it. I was unable to find part for my dell - Asus. Keep looking to find these parts. if I was unable to find these part for my two laptops then I might get a new one desktop nor a laptop. OR the Linux box.

Yes, I find a information of the Linux book for the beginner Linux book. Sound like the Linux is better than another ios, os of the windows. I am not sure.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Take a look at the following screenshot, of the front page of "Getting Started"

Start Thread on Which Linux To Download/Use here

The above page is where I provided the links above.

Where my mouse cursor is hovering it has turned into a hand with a pointing finger. Click there.

Then go to the following link

https://www.linux.org/forums/general-linux.143/

Start Thread on Which Linux Books/Guides to Read here

You will get the help you need by doing things this way, and not posting at what is a tutorial.

I hope this is clear, I do not know how to put it any clearer. And yes, put in that attachment with your specs, in the Getting Started thread.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

captain-sensible

Credits
well @Alphard it can be a very rewarding educating occasionally challenging experience.
For me the old adage "prevention is better than cure" is very wise. Basically it means planing and thinking on the approaches to using linux.

if you have any questions or would like have feed back opinions then feel free to set them out in posts.

My approach is keep it simple, keep it minimal and take into account what gino d'acampo advises "mimimum effort , maximum satisfaction" !

On printers I suggest go for a HP , mine only cost circa 30 quid. It can scan, print letters and do 99% of everything i want. Why HP well there is a package called HPLIP which for instance is included standard in Slackware. It can also be easily obtained for a lot of others distro. because of that package you have all the software you need so that your printer can communicate with your Linux PC.

Condobloke

Credits
Which particular Linux ?....Linux Mint ?.....within Linux Mint there are three different desktop environments....Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE
The most popular version of Linux Mint is the Cinnamon edition. ... Although it misses a few features and its development is slower than Cinnamon's, MATE runs faster, uses less resources and is more stable than Cinnamon. MATE. Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment....and runs fastest of all.

Tell us first what pc/laptop you have...brand?, model >, specs (ram, hdd< cpu, anything and everything

The download sites are easy to find....you will need a usb stick/thumb drive....4gb is ok, 8 gb is better.

The download (it is called an ISO) is "burnt' to the usb stick using a special app....the app is available for windows or for linux depending what is already on your pc

You will need to eventually make a decision whether you want to just use Linux on the usb stick (this is called using it "Live"), or if you want to install Linux to your hard Drive and wipe windows when you do that....or if you want to install Linux to your hard drive and keep windows as well....this is called a dual boot scenario.

Decisions, decisions !!

The simplest approach is to load the ISO to the usb stick and then change the boot order of your pc so that it boots to the usb stick. You can then play with the linux on there as much as you like. It does not occupy space on the hdd...so it doesnt matter if you screw it up...it will do no damage.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
G'day @Jim43 and welcome to linux.org :oops:

You will get more personalised attention if you start up your own thread.

Best is here - https://linux.org/forums/getting-started.148/ and near top right "Post Thread".

I can move the above into its own Thread and give you ownership, if you wish.

Best is if we deal with the computers one at a time, with an individual thread for each. So just make a decision on priority and let us know.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Jim43

Credits
Wizard, That sounds good. Being new it is often hard to know both how and where to start. Yes, there are two different computers and each has somewhat unique problems. However, the problems I am having with the Dell computer should be resolved before starting on the problem(s) with the PBP. Thank you for answering and helping. Jim43

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Done, Jim - I'll clean up our couple above after.

Thanks

Wizard

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts