Solved Issue With Printing Off Hard-Drive?

Solved issue

Snort McDork

Reaction score
Credits
I just got a new Cannon printer 2 months ago. Previous one was 20 years old exactly. So it will print online stuff, but I cannot get it to print off the HD.
This does not make sense to me. Icon at bottom say, "waiting for printer" So if it works on-line, why not off the HD?
I'm on Cinnamon.
Any idea what I need to look at in settings?
On edit, I need to solve this fairly soon. I'm making a presentation next month, so I need to be ready for this. And another update, printer will not work online now. So I'm on Canon's website for drivers There are 4 different ones. 2 say Scangear, and the other 2 say IJ. Which one of these do I need to download? I'm guessing this is what I need to get this thing running, but not totally sure of that for having a new printer. Good news it recognizes my OS.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Mr. Frustrated

Attachments

• 0.00 00-31 cats on zoom calls Screenshot_2023-04-24_21-23-31.jpg
    0.00 00-31 cats on zoom calls Screenshot_2023-04-24_21-23-31.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

The exact name and model number of the printer would be a good start

Also, which version of Linux you are running

When you say it won't print from the hard drive....do you mean that it will not print something that you have saved?

Saved where?.....do you right click on the material that have saved and select print?

Tell us more

Assuming you mean printing Via USB, then it sounds like a driver problem, [wrong driver, missing codecs, missing dependencies]
Please advise full model of the printer ?
edit
in the interim, have you tried unplugging the printer at the USB and plugging it in again,
also check your software manager and make sure you have installed cups-backend-bjnp

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I missed giving the model number. I get flustered easily and just assume people know what I'm talking about. The printer is a Canon Pixma TR4722. I'm running on Cinnamon 21.1. When I first got this thing, I needed to print bank statements which are online. No problem. Then I tried to print stuff from a presentation I'm writing that is saved on hard-drive. Yes, it is material I have saved. So at first I thought it was only online printing would work, but now it's neither. Nothing engages printer. Icon at bottom says, "waiting for printer connection". But it has worked before when I simply do "Ctrl-P. That's what I find weird. Okay, I found the cups-backend-bjnp software in software Mgr. Stand by for test. I'll be back in a few.

Does anything interesting show up when you execute dmesg in a terminal?

Okay, I installed the "cups-backend-bjnp software, did refresh, tried to print, and got no response. I am not familiar with terminal, but I just typed in dmesg and got a ton of stuff that I have no clue what it means. There is "in red" a line that says, "unknown parameter-windows names" There is another one in Red that says, "no caching mode page found". So should I just go back to Canon page and download drivers-even if it does not say which one I need?

Cannon do not have print drivers for Linux, I used to get a similar problem with a HP printer, the only way I could get it working was un plug the usb [if connected] ,go to the printers [in menu] ,uninstall the drivers, then switch on the printer and re-connect the USB to re load the drivers

Last edited:
Okay, I installed the "cups-backend-bjnp software, did refresh, tried to print, and got no response. I am not familiar with terminal, but I just typed in dmesg and got a ton of stuff that I have no clue what it means. There is "in red" a line that says, "unknown parameter-windows names" There is another one in Red that says, "no caching mode page found". So should I just go back to Canon page and download drivers-even if it does not say which one I need?
So do I download anything from Canon, or is there something I have to do in the terminal? Getting concerned because I still don't know what I need to do to get this printer working.

FOOMATIC should solve the problem

Read the link I posted in post #3, ....right down the bottom...

Method 3: Install Canon Printer Driver Via Foomatic DB

In Linux, click on Menu,,,type in Software Manager...at the top of the window that opens type in foomatic

see my screemshot below
1692752770753.png

The two with arrows pointing to them are the ones to download and install. Click on them and then the Install button for each one.

That should be sufficient. If it does not print...try a reboot first.

Okay. I will do that right now.
I'll be back.
Still baffelled why this printed before but not now.
stand by

Go through the instructions above, FIRST.

If that fails, then.....

from the Canon site
TR4722
We currently don't have any specific guides for your printer but if you call 1300 460 738 one of our Print Assist support staff will be able to help get you up and running.
.....which leads me to ask you....where did you get this printer >???

If I were you, I would access the Canon site where you are (I am assuming America ?),,,,find their support phone number and call them.

Make sure you tell them you are running Linux Mint cinnamon 21.1

I have searched the Canon site in Australia and cannot even find a mention of that TR4722 Pixma printer.

Wow, that's weird. Well, they do have a newer version of the Pixma series (TR-4722). Initially was thinking if I should try an HP printer, but stayed with Canon.
Yes, I'm in U.S and I'm bummed. Installed foomatic update/ driver you suggested, and nada.Went through trouble shootIng and I still nothing. I got this printer from this tech dude who has shop down the street from me who also installed the OS. The Pixma printer I had before was 20 years old and apparently no more updates. So I got this Pixma 4700 series (since previous one worked 20 years for me), from him new out of the box. Don't want to deal with him any more because he was rude enough to me on phone once where I almost went down there to punch his lights out. He really pissed me off. He only wants my money. So F-him. So I will give up on this for today and call Canon tomorrow-giving them my OS and see what they say. I'm trying to do this on my own since I do not know anyone to call since I moved back here after being away over 20 years. Was desperate enough that I was shopping the other day and asked this dude working the frozen food section if he knew anyone that was a Tech person. So I will give up today and try again when my blood pressure is back to normal. I appreciate your help. Cheers. I will keep you posted.

there's more

Method 4: Add Your Printer via GUI Interface
Ubuntu/Linux also offers you to add your printer into the system from the graphical setting menu. which yoTo add your Canon printer, first, you need to open the settings menu,(type system settings into menu). After opening the settings, find the ‘Printers‘ menu. And, there you go, plug inyour printer and click on the search printer button.

add printer on Ubuntu/LINUX GUI

When the auto scan finds your printer, it won’t take more than a few seconds to connect your Canon printer. Here, I’m using a Ubuntu Linux with the Gnome DE; if You’re using any different desktop environment, the setting location might be in a different place.

After adding your printer to your device, you can use the printer to print documents through a local area network system. You need to find the network printer to configure with your device.

Ubuntu/'LINUX also allows you to connect the printer through the device URL.
If all this looks like it is falling over the cliff....type printers into Menu.....if that opens, Right click on whatever printer is shown there and select properties. With a bit of luck it will show you the URL address of the printer.....You can use the url to add the printer

Was desperate enough that I was shopping the other day and asked this dude working the frozen food section if he knew anyone that was a Tech person.

With the pandemic over, LUGs are meeting in person again. See if you have a LUG nearby to find a 'tech person'.

SUCCESS!!!!!

After being on hold for 45 minutes, I was able to get a hold of a Rep. who kinda, sorta knew about Linux. I told him my OS, and he did research on his end and came up with (from Canon website) the CORRECT driver for this printer. There were 4 different downloads. He told me to DL the IJ-Debian V.6.30 driver that is 64-bit. I downloaded it, turned on printer, did a test and WHA-LAAA!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!! It's working!! OMG. I can breath again! I feel human. Now I can stop complaining and yelling at my cat. Thanks guys for putting up with me. If the Canon dude was not in Ohio, I would have bought him a beer or pizza. The Defense has no further questions Your Honor!!! Thank you so much for taking a ton of bricks off my shoulders. I honestly do feel human again.

Attachments

• 0 0 Screenshot_2021-03-02 Сats rule the world-new contract (copy).jpg
    0 0 Screenshot_2021-03-02 Сats rule the world-new contract (copy).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 92
Go through the instructions above, FIRST.

If that fails, then.....

from the Canon site
TR4722
We currently don't have any specific guides for your printer but if you call 1300 460 738 one of our Print Assist support staff will be able to help get you up and running.
.....which leads me to ask you....where did you get this printer >???

If I were you, I would access the Canon site where you are (I am assuming America ?),,,,find their support phone number and call them.

Make sure you tell them you are running Linux Mint cinnamon 21.1

I have searched the Canon site in Australia and cannot even find a mention of that TR4722 Pixma printer.
SUCCESS!!! (see post below).

Staff online

Members online