Issues Uninstalling Apps, Persisting Problems

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
I'm having problems with an app working properly. Usually uninstalling then reinstalling software fixes issues (at least it did when I was still chained to the Giant!). I uninstalled it through the 'Software Manager' ( which I also used to install it).

The problems are persisting. I found multiple ways to uninstall apps using the terminal, but I don't know which is best or reliable. None of them address 'left over pieces of apps'. It looks like Zoom (and maybe Bleach Bit?) is not being completely uninstalled through the software manager. I thought of using some maintenance commands recommended in this thread. Operating System Maintenance, What is necessary? However, if this turns into a lot of work, I don't want to complicate things further.

I've included all information that I can think of that may be necessary to help me.

*A few important things to know about this problem.
The software is Zoom.​
  1. Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
    1. Fully updated
  2. A brief time line.
    1. I first installed Zoom about 2 weeks ago.
    2. Everything worked fine
  3. I installed Bleach Bit and ran it once using Auto Clean
  4. My system was running very slowly.
    1. I restored my system to a date prior to installation of Zoom and Bleach Bit
      1. Zoom and Bleach Bit were both uninstalled (They didn't show up in the menu anyway)
  5. I reinstalled Zoom (not Bleach Bit)
  6. After reinstalling Zoom there are 2 problems:
    1. Audio has to be turned up to 100% and even then, I can barely hear anything.
      • Audio works normal with every other app.
    2. Even though I restored my system to a date 3 months ago, Zoom still shows a history of meetings and my user name
  7. I uninstalled and then reinstalled Zoom through the Software Manager
    1. Audio problems are even worse now
    2. Meeting history is still on my system.
  8. On all 4 of my Androids, Zoom has to be uninstalled by going to the 'PlayStore'.
  9. Possible related issue
    1. Settings in my browser are supposed to be deleting ALL cookies when I close it.
    2. A lot of them are not being deleted

easiest way is to uninstall via either synaptic or the software manager......I dont think it makes any appreciable difference which one yo use.

Then.....if you have not already installed flatsweep ......do so, from the software manager

Open it via the menu...(type in flatsweep)....it will run automatically and put a message up on your deskjtop/screen, saying either ....No leftover data found, or it will show you how much data it removed.

If you used synaptic to remove, I would expect near to zero traces left over. And if there are any specks they are not worth worrying about.

I just reread your post....some details may have been saved in a config file etc

easiest way is to uninstall via either synaptic

I'm not sure how to use Synaptic Package Manager to remove Zoom
1719356473458.png

or the software manager

I've used this twice but still have the problems

As far as I can understand it, this is locate the files.

'SELECT ALL' , command not found

Using 'locate zoom'

I don't know what to do with this.

1719356743587.png

I know you asked me to hold off....but I am going out for an hour or two....hopefully the below will tide you over.

If it proves to be completely unneeded, I will simply delete the post

Synaptic...open it...select search out on the right hand side....type in zoom....if it is installed it will have a green? square box next to it....
Right click on zoom...select mark for Complete Removal ...

Then there is an icon on left hand side up the top that says apply...click on that, and just follow it through......dont argue with it.....just click on yes/ok etc whatever it says there to obliterate it

I dont have zoom installed ....so cant give a blow by blow

I would us this and then have a close look at the links i supplied earlier

sudo apt purge zoom ......will also be worthwhile trying

At the end of the day, a few tiny bits and pieces will not cause any mayhem to your system

I suspect I may need help from @wizardfromoz

I uninstalled Zoom again from the Zoom icon in the menu.
I ran Flatsweep
After that I typed in 'locate Zoom' in the terminal. A LOT of Zoom Files were populated.

1719359355885.png

I took a look around. They seem to all be stored in my TimeShift snapshots.

1719359444892.png

So I opened TimeShift and searched for Zoom files in my original SnapShot, the one I took immediately after installing Linux Mint on this system. I hadn't even installed Zoom yet.
Furthermore,
there are Snap Shot files dating all the back to 2018 with Zoom files. That was long before I tried Linux at all or even heard of Zoom.

1719360084383.png

What should I do???

I know you asked me to hold off....but I am going out for an hour or two....hopefully the below will tide you over.

If it proves to be completely unneeded, I will simply delete the post

Synaptic...open it...select search out on the right hand side....type in zoom....if it is installed it will have a green? square box next to it....
Right click on zoom...select mark for Complete Removal ...

Then there is an icon on left hand side up the top that says apply...click on that, and just follow it through......dont argue with it.....just click on yes/ok etc whatever it says there to obliterate it

I dont have zoom installed ....so cant give a blow by blow

I would us this and then have a close look at the links i supplied earlier

sudo apt purge zoom ......will also be worthwhile trying

At the end of the day, a few tiny bits and pieces will not cause any mayhem to your system

I think I might need WizardFromOz to help me with this. See my previous reply in this thread.

Their presence in your Timeshift files will not be a concern, because sooner or later those snapshots will be deleted by Timeshift itself as newer up to date snapshots are taken.

Chris will doubtless have more to add.

Their presence in your Timeshift files will not be a concern, because sooner or later those snapshots will be deleted by Timeshift itself as newer up to date snapshots are taken.

It seems to me that Zoom files shouldn't be in a SnapShot taken months before I even installed Zoom on this computer. There are Zoom files dated back 2018. That was before I used Linux, at all. That doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

No doubt.

Morning all, more coffee and then I'll put in a few thoughts.

BTW the 2018 references are nothing to be concerned about they are the time-date stamps for when the version of Zoom was produced, not to do with time appearing on your computer.

No doubt.

Morning all, more coffee and then I'll put in a few thoughts.

BTW the 2018 references are nothing to be concerned about they are the time-date stamps for when the version of Zoom was produced, not to do with time appearing on your computer.
Well that's good to know!

It appears the Zoom installed through Software Manager is a flatpak from flathub.

Sherri, what do you get from

Code:
sudo dpkg -l | grep flatpak
..that's an l for list not a capital i

It appears the Zoom installed through Software Manager is a flatpak from flathub.

Sherri, what do you get from

Code:
sudo dpkg -l | grep flatpak
..that's an l for list not a capital i

Code:
Script started on 2024-06-25 22:09:19-04:00 [TERM="xterm-256color" TTY="/dev/pts/1" COLUMNS="80" LINES="24"]
[?2004h]0;sherri@Booh-Kitty: ~[01;32msherri@Booh-Kitty[00m:[01;34m~[00m$ sudo dpkg -l | grep flatpac[Kk
[?2004l
[sudo] password for sherri: *************             
ii  [01;31m[Kflatpak[m[K                                    1.12.7-1                                   amd64        Application deployment framework for desktop apps
ii  gir1.2-[01;31m[Kflatpak[m[K-1.0:amd64                   1.12.7-1                                   amd64        Application deployment framework for desktop apps (introspection)
ii  lib[01;31m[Kflatpak[m[K0:amd64                          1.12.7-1                                   amd64        Application deployment framework for desktop apps (library)
[?2004h]0;sherri@Booh-Kitty: ~[01;32msherri@Booh-Kitty[00m:[01;34m~[00m$ exit
[?2004l
exit

Script done on 2024-06-25 22:10:44-04:00 [COMMAND_EXIT_CODE="0"]

That looks difficult to read....

Let me try again....
Code:
herri@Booh-Kitty:~$ script flatpack.txt
Script started, output log file is 'flatpack.txt'.
sherri@Booh-Kitty:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep flatpak
[sudo] password for sherri:             
ii  flatpak                                    1.12.7-1                                   amd64        Application deployment framework for desktop apps
ii  gir1.2-flatpak-1.0:amd64                   1.12.7-1                                   amd64        Application deployment framework for desktop apps (introspection)
ii  libflatpak0:amd64                          1.12.7-1                                   amd64        Application deployment framework for desktop apps (library)
sherri@Booh-Kitty:~$ exit
exit
Script done.
sherri@Booh-Kitty:~$

OK, that looks good.

Now take a look at your screenie in #4, the one with Terminal output.

We're going to issue a couple of commands that will clean that up, and we'll use sudo, which should not be necessary with your Home, but Zoom may have done some voodoo so we'll save having to repeat ourselves.

I'll follow up with the commands.

Typing 'exit' doesn't clear everything? Clear as in everything I've done in the terminal

Staff online

Latest posts