Issues Uninstalling Apps, Persisting Problems

... and leave out the one with the

zoom*

that won't work with the slash

That's about as good as we'll get, the rest is just harmless cruft.

I didn't see your last 2 replies. I was concentrating on putting everything into the terminal correctly.

I'm going to go get some more noodles. Back in a few minutes

*Aside.

My list of future questions is getting longer. Unfortunately, I need to have Zoom running properly. All of this has my mind brainstorming ideas to keep this from happening again. And all of those ideas come with... MORE questions!

I saw references earlier in your Downloads folder to a couple of Zoom .deb files.

Is that where you installed from, or from Software Manager?

I saw references earlier in your Downloads folder to a couple of Zoom .deb files.

Is that where you installed from, or from Software Manager?
Sorry, I got carried away replying to a post.

Yes, I downloaded it from the Software Manager.

Well, you could do that again when/if you have need of it for work.

It looks as if it will be a flatpak.

Well, you could do that again when/if you have need of it for work.

It looks as if it will be a flatpak.

The reason all of this got started is because Zoom wasn't working properly after I restored my system. I uninstalled it in hopes of getting it to work right. It got worse. Then I found all those files in the Timeshift SnapShots.

I need to use Zoom several times a week, sometimes daily. Not for work... I'm not happy about finding the files in old Snapshots.

Would it be okay to delete the Zoom files in the SnapShots? I want to have the option to restore my PC back to a time that does not have ANY Zoom files. I can't do that now at all. The only remedy I know of is to reinstall Linux from scratch with a USB drive.

And while I'm at it and it's related to this problem...

Is there a way to prevent TimeShift from backing up Zoom files?
I also thought about running Zoom in a VM, but TimeShift would back that up also.

Is there a way to put a leash on Zoom?

I didn't mae myself clear enough at #35

That's OK, they simply indicate the LibreOffice caters to Zoom.

That refers to the facility to zoom in and zoom out, icons &c - those are rightly included in Timeshift snapshots.

They are not to do with the Zoom conferencing app.

Would it be okay to delete the Zoom files in the SnapShots?

No
That would compromise the integrity of the snapshots, as stored in the log files in /var/log/timeshift

OK, just remember those Timeshift snapshot files are not about the Zoom app.

eg, if I type in and enter

locate zoom

I get about 40 lines, half or more are from LibreOffice references to the zoom in zoom out function.

If you want, we can clean up the rest of the cruft using your Nemo File Manager.

You just need to set in The top Menu's View - Hidden Files

Then you should be able to reinstall Zoom with impunity... following a Timeshift snapshot, of course :)

That might be tomorrow

So, have we concluded that other than the SnapShots, Zoom is not on my computer at all?

Tomorrow? Past your bedtime?

I'll leave this for you -

1. Open Nemo, click Home near upper left, if it is only showing about 8 folders
2. Click the Nemo Menu - View - check show Hidden Files, that will show files and folders and double (or more) the display
3. In your #34, use that as a guidleine of save the content to a text file and open it up with the Test Editor and place it alongside the Nemo window
4. Work your way through deleting the files and folders, stopping just short of Timeshift, or else keep your Downloads .deb files if you wish

Then you can reboot and install Zoom after taking a TS snapshot, of course.

Tomorrow? Past your bedtime?

I'll leave this for you -

1. Open Nemo, click Home near upper left, if it is only showing about 8 folders
2. Click the Nemo Menu - View - check show Hidden Files, that will show files and folders and double (or more) the display
3. In your #34, use that as a guidleine of save the content to a text file and open it up with the Test Editor and place it alongside the Nemo window
4. Work your way through deleting the files and folders, stopping just short of Timeshift, or else keep your Downloads .deb files if you wish

Then you can reboot and install Zoom after taking a TS snapshot, of course.

Yup.
I'll save this for tomorrow! I'm pretty tired.
BTW I'm in a different time zone now, an hour ahead of where I was. Down south it would be 1:25 am. Here it's 2:25 am.