It's time for a poll. How long have you used Linux?

Generally, I do not like polls, but I like voting for contributing :) I am using Linux more than two years. First I started to see a different OS than Windows. If my memory dont lies to me, it is called "tweaking" in Windows. Today I can say that, only pc games that I could not play under Linux(on the same hardware and their number is not so few) sometimes hurts me badly . One of the most positive side effects is that, Linux increased my chess play time because of that!

I stumbled upon linux in my first year of collage where there was a hype around saying linux is must for programmers

Right about now, the exact date eludes me, I'd be joining the 15+ years club.

From mid-summer 2007 until now...

Alas, the poll is a snapshot in time more than a running tally, and my answer can not be changed.

Right about now, the exact date eludes me, I'd be joining the 15+ years club.

From mid-summer 2007 until now...

Alas, the poll is a snapshot in time more than a running tally, and my answer can not be changed.
Without an exact date. Your start date doesn't count. You're now in the 0-6 months category.

You're now in the 0-6 months category.

If that's the case, I've sure learned a lot in the past half year!

I'm pretty sure it was right around this time of the year, as it was really hot out and I didn't want to go outside. I didn't put much thought into it. I just downloaded Ubuntu and started installing it. I seem to recall that I thought about dual booting but decided to not bother with it.

I haven't seen this answer yet, too long!

I played with it back in the 90s, but never used it as my primary operating system and did use it on the server side. So, I don't count that.

I can say...long enough that I've forgotten how to use windwoes.
m1230.gif

Chug-a-lug, Bob, I love that answer.

As of my vote, it is interesting to notice that the higher percentage of the votes are for less than 6 months...which includes me. Though I tinkered with Linux in the early days, I do not think I can really claim that time for the poll.

I remember Best Buy also; paid for Netscape Navigator, Suse, and I think Mandrake also. Maybe not Mandrake though but I did use it also. We also had a Circuit City which I thought was much better than Best Buy.

Aahhh ... Netscape Navigator, that takes me back.

SUSE? In 2002 I told my wife "This Linux distro has 1,500 apps/packages!" (40K to 50K nowadays).

Mandrake - I helped a fellow set up his Members section for CFS (Completely Free Software) and as an unexpected consequence scored 3xCD of Mandrake, but did not know what to do with it, lol.

Live and learn :)

Wiz

Aahhh ... Netscape Navigator, that takes me back.
don't it just! this made me remember my first dial up service [from the uk] was PAG using CompuServe for it's time I thought their browser was brilliant

Netscape... Mandrake... Whoa. I'm having flashbacks to places I've never been! :eek:

I used Netscape and Mandrake for a quite a while. I remember they got sued for using the magician's name. They ended up with Mandriva. It went down hill after that. They now use the SeaMonkey browser for the setup sheets.

My first Linux was Suse Linux 4.2 that came on a cd with a magazine in The Netherlands. This was around juni 1996.
Following years I tried Mandrake (I liked that one), Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu from 2006. From then I used a lot of Ubuntu style distro's.
Ouch I'm old!

Members online