Just works Linux distro.

lekkerlinux

Reaction score
Credits
I would just like to ask everyone, which Linux distro just works out-of the-box and is not based on Debian/Ubuntu/Arch. So called independent projects.

In my own expereince Solus fits that description.(Until a kernel update cause programs to act up.) Fedora, I am using now not so much.

I would just like to ask everyone, which Linux distro just works out-of the-box and is not based on Debian/Ubuntu/Arch. So called independent projects.

In my own expereince Solus fits that description.(Until a kernel update cause programs to act up.) Fedora, I am using now not so much.
It's been my experience with almost every single distro I've tried, being bare metal or inside a VM, that most of them do just that; works out of the box. Also, what do you mean exactly by "works out of the box"? Slackware does and just like in Arch you have still to do some post-install tasks but it does work out of the box. I think most do; wifi, video, audio, mouse/touchpad, keyboard, USB ports, audio jacks, sd readers ... all of it works out of the box, no need for go hunting drivers or whatever. You have to ask yourself, what it is exactly you want/expect from a Linux distro, what are your requirements, what are you going to use it for, your hardware and anything else you may consider as a critical point/feature. After answering those questions, I think you might find yourself in a better position to say "hey, this is the one" :)

It's been my experience with almost every single distro I've tried, being bare metal or inside a VM, that most of them do just that; works out of the box. Also, what do you mean exactly by "works out of the box"? Slackware does and just like in Arch you have still to do some post-install tasks but it does work out of the box. I think most do; wifi, video, audio, mouse/touchpad, keyboard, USB ports, audio jacks, sd readers ... all of it works out of the box, no need for go hunting drivers or whatever. You have to ask yourself, what it is exactly you want/expect from a Linux distro, what are your requirements, what are you going to use it for, your hardware and anything else you may consider as a critical point/feature. After answering those questions, I think you might find yourself in a better position to say "hey, this is the one" :)
Yes, I meant a Linux distro that doesn't need me to get programs working, that don't after install. Where everything works in the webbrowser and I don't have to go codec hunting. Also where the audio player works from the beginning with no the extra tweeking neccassry. The video player sometime doesn't work either and I have to install another one, like VLC. No freezes from the begging, like Ubuntu18.04 started freezing just after install.

The only one I have tried that works like that is Zorin, the 15.2 version and in the past as well. It's a no homework distro. Just a bit slower than others. I would just like to have a viable alternatives, just in case the Zorin brothers join a commune and turn into organic farmers.

The stable LTS Linux distros are always going to be the best choice for OTTB.

To get the DVDs to work most often requires running these commands in the terminal.

sudo apt install libdvd-pkg

and then this command in the terminal.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

There will always be certain things that new Linux distros need to have done after install to complete them and have them run properly.

The stable LTS Linux distros are always going to be the best choice for OTTB.

To get the DVDs to work most often requires running these commands in the terminal.

sudo apt install libdvd-pkg

and then this command in the terminal.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

There will always be certain things that new Linux distros need to have done after install to complete them and have them run properly.
A dialogue box usually pops up when I insert a music CD. On Fedora nothing happens and even when I go into Rhythmbox it can't open the CD. Works on Zorin and Solus.

Not sure if sudo apt will work in Fedora, it's usually sudo dnf whatever.

Fedroa is mostly great, just the music CD thing and some video's, like on the CNN site that don't want to play.

Fedroa is stable overall, but Solus is better.

In Zorin everything works from the begging. It's targeted at Windows refugees that no no Linux technical stuff. I was one some years ago.

Yes, I meant a Linux distro that doesn't need me to get programs working, that don't after install. Where everything works in the webbrowser and I don't have to go codec hunting. Also where the audio player works from the beginning with no the extra tweeking neccassry. The video player sometime doesn't work either and I have to install another one, like VLC. No freezes from the begging, like Ubuntu18.04 started freezing just after install.

The only one I have tried that works like that is Zorin, the 15.2 version and in the past as well. It's a no homework distro. Just a bit slower than others. I would just like to have a viable alternatives, just in case the Zorin brothers join a commune and turn into organic farmers.
What's your set up? I mean, hardware. I've found that the best approach seems to be building your own thing up, at least it's worked for me; no unwanted/undesired programs but only those ones I will use, like and need. For instance, I've installed Q4OS plasma version and at the desktop profiler at boot chose the developer/minimal mode, which installed a minimal set of apps; konsole, dolphin, konqueror and kwrite. Then I added my owns
Code:
sudo apt-get install vlc clementine chromium claws-mail ark kolourpaint  calligra okular gwenview ncdu partitionmanager bleachbit zim kate imagemagick aria2 pcsxr
I've added a few others when needed. So, don't know but like I told you in another thread maybe you should try using VMs, it's quite fun actually and you'll learn lots of stuff. Install virtualbox, create a couple or as many as you want, I have 6 at the moment running different distros and even a windows one to run some apps that don't work in wine. I have a litlle proyect too; using an Ubuntu minimal iso, I want to build a system combining diferent ppas from as many as possible Ubuntu's derivatives; Linux Lite (this one is a great distro, everything worked out of the box when I tried it. Really recommended and it's fool proof) Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc, etc ... I don't know whether or not that'll work but I'm just curious about that. Next, I think to try the same thing with Debian.

Yep I try and stay with Debian base or Debian Ubuntu as I most familiar with both.

Arch is lunch eater and sure takes me a lot of time to get things to work and work right.

Debian and Ubuntu base is just rock solid or has been and is for me and most of the time installs and updates without any issues on my old Frankenstein builds.

I think users screw up distros by trying to add software from outside the repository which isn't proven or tested as the software from the repository of the distro being used.

OH Well that's how ya learn what not to do. :eek::oops:o_O:confused::(

What's your set up? I mean, hardware. I've found that the best approach seems to be building your own thing up, at least it's worked for me; no unwanted/undesired programs but only those ones I will use, like and need. For instance, I've installed Q4OS plasma version and at the desktop profiler at boot chose the developer/minimal mode, which installed a minimal set of apps; konsole, dolphin, konqueror and kwrite. Then I added my owns
Code:
sudo apt-get install vlc clementine chromium claws-mail ark kolourpaint  calligra okular gwenview ncdu partitionmanager bleachbit zim kate imagemagick aria2 pcsxr
I've added a few others when needed. So, don't know but like I told you in another thread maybe you should try using VMs, it's quite fun actually and you'll learn lots of stuff. Install virtualbox, create a couple or as many as you want, I have 6 at the moment running different distros and even a windows one to run some apps that don't work in wine. I have a litlle proyect too; using an Ubuntu minimal iso, I want to build a system combining diferent ppas from as many as possible Ubuntu's derivatives; Linux Lite (this one is a great distro, everything worked out of the box when I tried it. Really recommended and it's fool proof) Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc, etc ... I don't know whether or not that'll work but I'm just curious about that. Next, I think to try the same thing with Debian.
I have and old PC from 2013 with modest AMD A10 and a graphics card of 2 GB. I also have a large collection of CD's that I like ripping to PC, for the convenience.

I use Fedora Workstation at the moment and had two issues. The first one related to a missing codec that's installed when you choose the extra software and drivers during before installation in say Zorin 15. Haven't figured out the other one yet.

My point is some Linux distros take extra work to get everything working and other just work from the beginning.

Recrntly I got interested in trying something bleeding edge, after having a bad experience with Manjaro last year. So I tried Solus and it was fine, with only one program crashing after a LTS kernel update. Now I'm trying Fedora and it mostly works well. Just have to learn the new commands and how the various repositories work and so on. More complicated than Zorin though.

I tried Q40S last year, the KDE version and something went wrong, leaving me with unrecognised file system message. I also mess up the Debian netinstall when I have to choose some mirri site and it doesn't work.

Anyway, for now I keep Fedora and see how it goes for awhile.

Yep I try and stay with Debian base or Debian Ubuntu as I most familiar with both.

Arch is lunch eater and sure takes me a lot of time to get things to work and work right.

Debian and Ubuntu base is just rock solid or has been and is for me and most of the time installs and updates without any issues on my old Frankenstein builds.

I think users screw up distros by trying to add software from outside the repository which isn't proven or tested as the software from the repository of the distro being used.

OH Well that's how ya learn what not to do. :eek::oops:o_O:confused::(
I had a strange experience with Ubuntu 18.04 this year when it started freezing while doing a update after I installed it. Zorin based on Ubuntu never does that. Not in the past and not with the latest Zorin 15.2. It just seems a tad more slow than Solus and other rolling release distros.

That's what I'm trying to find out. What the most reliable bleeding edge distro. Arch is to much trouble and Fedora seems more promising. Just needs more work than the Debian/Ubuntu based ones.

I am actually suprized that Fedora runs well on my 2013 system and it allocates the same amount to the swap file as the amount of RAM I have on my PC. Zorin/Ubuntu just creates a 2GB swapfile, while Fedora creates 7.9GB. That sometimes makes a difference while playing a game and I would imagine editing photos and video too.

Oh yeah, I had to enable a third party repo in Fedora to get a codec I needed to play video's on CNN and Facebook, but it's like you said, it may make the whole thing more unstable.

Why do you think you need bleeding edge Linux distro and software I'm curious.

On my old Frankenstein builds non-bleeding edge distros work better.
I have post Antergos distress disorder. I enjoyed that one so much and then it came to an end.

I was just interested in finding an alternative to Ubuntu based stuff, just in case they start messing things up in Shuttleworth land.

Operating systems, markets, politics and all kinds of stuff, gets better and then they get worse. Good to have the back-door open.

At least I have Zorin on a DVD now and that is the best current distro that usable for my experience level.

I am still suing Fedora now, but like I said before, I had to enable a non standard repo to install a codec I needed. Fedora started acting up after that. Going into a hibernate state and I didn't choose that at all in the settings.

That's my original piont. If the OS works from the begging and nothing needs to be added, it's the most reliable.

I understand and it's good to have a fallback Linux distro.

If Fedora doesn't work for you give SparkyLinux a try it is working OOTB for me on my outdated Frankenstein builds.

Sometimes some of us users still need to distro hop to find a Linux distro that will work on the old computers and hardware we use.

With the many outdated Frankenstein builds I have I enjoy trying out new and different Linux distros and I enjoy doing it and sometimes learn new things about Linux..

I have and old PC from 2013 with modest AMD A10 and a graphics card of 2 GB. I also have a large collection of CD's that I like ripping to PC, for the convenience.

So, basically you do common stuff on your computer, you want to rip your CD's and need a distro that ships with codecs and multimedia stuff, is that right? Have you considered trying one made for that purpose and/or building one yourself? There are a few multimedia focused distros out there that might meet your requirements https://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Multimedia. I tried Ubuntu Studio few years ago and it was quite nice.

I understand and it's good to have a fallback Linux distro.

If Fedora doesn't work for you give SparkyLinux a try it is working OOTB for me on my outdated Frankenstein builds.

Sometimes some of us users still need to distro hop to find a Linux distro that will work on the old computers and hardware we use.

With the many outdated Frankenstein builds I have I enjoy trying out new and different Linux distros and I enjoy doing it and sometimes learn new things about Linux..
Yes you are right, Poorguy. Fedora is a bit of a challenge. I had to enable a third part repo to get a missing codec I needed and after that the video's on sites like CNN and Facebook started working, as well as Rhythmbox music player.

I have a four core processor running and using only 1.8 GB RAM on lite use. Music player and Firefox, that's all.

Fedora just goes into a hibernation state if left alone for hours and don't want to wake up. Screen lock off and just set to blank screen after 15 minutes.

Oh well, a few days ago I had two problems to fix and now only have one issues left.

It's like the Fedora penguin poops on yuor foot but looks up at you, saying don't let me go yet.

So, basically you do common stuff on your computer, you want to rip your CD's and need a distro that ships with codecs and multimedia stuff, is that right? Have you considered trying one made for that purpose and/or building one yourself? There are a few multimedia focused distros out there that might meet your requirements https://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Multimedia. I tried Ubuntu Studio few years ago and it was quite nice.
Yes, that's right Tolkem. Zorin 15.2 is just right for me in all regards, but I wanted to have a plan b distro and was getting a bit bored with Zorin because it worked so well. With just one flaw, it allocates just two GB to the swap file, while say Fedora creates 7.9 GB. Great for the occasional gaming.

I figured out while using Fedora 13 Workstation that some video's didn't play on some sites and Rhythmbox wasn't working either.

I had to go read up, I had to enable a third party repo and install the codec I needed to get everything working. I'll use Fedora for a few weeks to see how it goes. Was using Solus before, but sometimes some programs started crashing after the kernel updated, even though I was using a LTS kernel.

So I'll try out Fedora and if it's a too demanding beasty go back to Zorin.

I have about a five year old machine that I had built using the components that I selected and back then I was not considering Linux a distro as my OS. But with the end of life for Win 7 and a HD that decided to start packing its bag and not play the game. I thought what the heck and Stuff Win 10 and come across Linux mint and liked it. Installed two new HDD and installed Mint.
No problems with the OS my problems were due to My ISP provider and a sound card that is more windows specific than Linux.
Mint itself worked straight out of the box no hassles and I doubt that I will have trouble with the other distros that I plan to install to play around with as well as having some features I like plus one or two will not be Debian based.

It's like the Fedora penguin poops on yuor foot but looks up at you, saying don't let me go yet.
:D

As frustrating as it may be at times stick with it and learn as much as you can about Fedora.

You might consider scanning through the Fedora forums and see what you find about the problems you have encountered.

One advantage I have over most is several working computers available to use and when I run into issues or don't understand something I can search on a different working computer for a solution.

Stick with it and you will conquer and find the needed solutions because that's what it takes to learn the distro.

I understand the frustration of things sometimes not always working OOTB.

I have about a five year old machine that I had built using the components that I selected and back then I was not considering Linux a distro as my OS. But with the end of life for Win 7 and a HD that decided to start packing its bag and not play the game. I thought what the heck and Stuff Win 10 and come across Linux mint and liked it. Installed two new HDD and installed Mint.
No problems with the OS my problems were due to My ISP provider and a sound card that is more windows specific than Linux.
Mint itself worked straight out of the box no hassles and I doubt that I will have trouble with the other distros that I plan to install to play around with as well as having some features I like plus one or two will not be Debian based.
Yes, Linux MInt is very popular! I have never tried that one myself, but saw it once on the laptop of a PC technician in a computer shop.

They even have one based on Debian with cinnamon desktop. I never tried cinnamon nor could I install Debian itself, so I would try that one out one day.

Debian with cinnamon desktop
Mint is based on Debian/Ubuntu but they also have a LMDE
Its main goal is for the Linux Mint team to see how viable our distribution would be and how much work would be necessary if Ubuntu was ever to disappear. LMDE aims to be as similar as possible to Linux Mint, but without using Ubuntu. The package base is provided by Debian instead.
I have the cinnamon desktop. But there is Mate and xfce desktops as well.

Members online