KDE Plasma 5.23.5 Crashes 'Solved'

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
This KDE Plasma DE keeps crashing on my Slackware 15 stable system.

I've been in the KDE Settings a handful of times today and the font settings I made work for FF but not for all of my KDE applications.

I've tried to file a bug report by creating an account at https://bugs.kde.org/.
The menu to choose the subject of Plasma X11 DE is not listed among the long list it provides.

The manager that handles this report on my system allows me to fill out the report and the details I provide for the devs to read, however; it fails to send it:-
At best, I've been able to copy the report to a file.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the version I have <or> upgrade to 6.0 that was out 3 months ago?

Attachments

• Framework.png
    Framework.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

This is your KDE screwed up. I am on Slackware-current and my options are:
Desktop Session:
Plasma (X11)
Plasma (Failsafe)
Plasma (Wayland)
Plasma (Full Wayland)

plus XFce and Openbox. Based on the fact that you have issues with fonts I think that your KDE is damaged.

This is your KDE screwed up. I am on Slackware-current and my options are:
Desktop Session:
Plasma (X11)
Plasma (Failsafe)
Plasma (Wayland)
Plasma (Full Wayland)

plus XFce and Openbox. Based on the fact that you have issues with fonts I think that your KDE is damaged.
I've got the same options as you.

What's the fix?
A new installation? Download from src and compile a higher version of Plasma?

Probably safer method is to reinstall KDE.
And also I would stick to 1 DE only, multiple DE's equal multiple possible problems.
I'm not well versed on running the build script and upgrading the libraries from 5.23 to 5.27.
First time for everything:- Anyway:
I'm thinking about e-mailing 'Alien Bob'. Mr. Eric Hamleers and see if he can point me to the place I need to learn this.

I've noted what you said about 1 DE.
However after running this distro for 10 years plus I've never had any issue's choosing the KDE or XFCE DE.

Can you explain what do you mean by
"The menu to choose the subject of Plasma X11 DE is not listed among the long list it provides."
Do you not see a menu, menu is incomplete and xfce or other DE/WM installed is missing. You can't select DE.

Can you explain what do you mean by
"The menu to choose the subject of Plasma X11 DE is not listed among the long list it provides."
Do you not see a menu, menu is incomplete and xfce or other DE/WM installed is missing. You can't select DE.

When the system boots I have the options to choose Plasma X11, Plasma Fail Safe Mode, Plasma Wayland and XFCE.
I'm able to go to any DE I want to.
The trouble is the Plasma X11 that's installed is old and crashing.

But Wayland works?
If so then something happened to your config. I would check your logs. Alien Bob will ask for your log files at least to understand the issue.

But Wayland works?
If so then something happened to your config. I would check your logs. Alien Bob will ask for your log files at least to understand the issue.
I have to try wayland and see if it boots and works.
I'll let you know as soon as I can.
Sending Alien Bob a private messaged isn't an option any more. The account isn't set for that.

You're best bet is to grab the sources and compile it yourself. It's not too complicated. Just do the following...

grab the sources

then run

cd kde/kde
chmod +x kde.SlackBuild
./kde.SlackBuild

Sit back and wait because it will take a while to finish. Assuming it doesn't error - if it does then most likely a reinstall

the files are here - https://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware64-current/source/
On Oregon State University

I would start with creating a new user. If this will work (e.g. no crashes) then you are o.k. otherwise KDE reinstallation would be the next step.

Good luck

You're best bet is to grab the sources and compile it yourself. It's not too complicated. Just do the following...

grab the sources

then run

Sit back and wait because it will take a while to finish. Assuming it doesn't error - if it does then most likely a reinstall

the files are here - https://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware64-current/source/
On Oregon State University
Before I compile it myself I'm thinking I should remove the old version first.

The link https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-current/source/a/tree/
is Slackware-Current. I'm running Slackware 15 stable not Slackware-Current.

Can Current pkg's be installed on Slackware stable?

I would start with creating a new user. If this will work (e.g. no crashes) then you are o.k. otherwise KDE reinstallation would be the next step.

Good luck
Got it, thanks on that.
Can Current pkg's be installed on Slackware stable and work w/o downgrading?

:)

Very helpful read GatorsFan!
Before I do anything I'm pulling out the 500 GB Toshibia and performing a backing up.

Installing Slackware-Current does sound good even-tho there may be some inconveniences and risk's involved.
I'll have to sleep on this as there appears more than one way I can rectify this:-

Backup is now complete.
I'll proceed with post # 10 (in the morning) and download the src's and build and compile.
Hope this goes well.

Things didn't go well. Errors and framework failed to build. :(

Code:
- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:8 (find_package):
  Could not find a configuration file for package "ECM" that is compatible
  with requested version "5.116.0".

The following configuration files were considered but not accepted:

/usr/share/ECM/cmake/ECMConfig.cmake, version: 5.90.0
    /usr/X11R6/share/ECM/cmake/ECMConfig.cmake, version: 5.90.0

--
 * ECM (required version >= 5.116.0), Extra CMake Modules., <https://commits.kde.org/extra-cmake-modules>

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.21/Modules/FeatureSummary.cmake:464 (message):
  feature_summary() Error: REQUIRED package(s) are missing, aborting CMake
  run.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:10 (feature_summary)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/tmp/kde_build/frameworks/attica-5.116.0/cmake-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
frameworks failed to build.
bash-5.1$

I'll have to download the Slackware .iso and perform a fresh install over the weekend.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.