KDE Plasma 5.23.5 Crashes 'Solved'

Good News!-:)

I send a message to Patrick Volkerding (a few days ago) because I thought he may answer me as he did in the past.
He explained to me that:

Code:
That's still the right version of Plasma to be using on Slackware 15.0. Have you been applying any patches? One thing to consider is that if you use anything under /patches, then you should use it all since a patch you apply might depend on another patch in there. I'd consider going into patches/packages and running this to make sure:

upgradepkg --terse --reinstall --install-new *.txz

I went back and removed "solved" from the thread because a fresh install may not be nessassary.Pat's instructions should rectify the issue with KDE crashing.
^Will do this after a decent nights rest.^

Last edited:

Ok I found the patches/packages directory here in 2 different places.

I've went through the patches/packages index parent directory several times looking for the exact txz and I haven't a clue which one should be chosen. Once I know which name_of_pkg slack15.0.*.txz I'll be good to go with:

Code:
# cd patches/packages && upgradepkg *.txz

At this point, after spending about 2-3 hours searching online I'm confused as to how to apply this patch:-

Anyone have any ideas?
@GatorsFan , @osprey, @wizardfromoz ?

Ok I found the patches/packages directory here in 2 different places.

I've went through the patches/packages index parent directory several times looking for the exact txz and I haven't a clue which one should be chosen. Once I know which name_of_pkg slack15.0.*.txz I'll be good to go with:

Code:
# cd patches/packages && upgradepkg *.txz

At this point, after spending about 2-3 hours searching online I'm confused as to how to apply this patch:-

Anyone have any ideas?
@GatorsFan , @osprey, @wizardfromoz ?
Maybe this link will help - http://www.giustetti.net/wiki/index.php?title=Patch_install

I'd go with the above ^^^^

I still have not got as far as Slackware, yet, so not much good to you.

Cheers

Wiz

Last edited:
I'd go with the above ^^^^

I still have not got as far as Slackware, yet, so not much good to you.

Cheers

Wiz
Thanks, Chris-
It's ok mate, when you have time give it a spin.

The thing is I'm not finding the kdelibs which is what I need to apply that patch to the crashing KDE DE.

Maybe @VP9KS will know as he's been running Slackware for maybe longer than I have.

Making some progress today.
Looking here at the ftp website for Slackware 15.0 I already have the patch system wide.

If I can't find a way to upgrade the KDE 5.23 that Pat says needs the patch I may have to perform a fresh install of stable. Running a build script may help and the other options would be to install and run current:-

While I'm at it I'll have a look in the KDE Forum and see what if anything is mentioned there.
:)

Attachments

• Kernel.png
    Kernel.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 22
Joining the KDE Discuss yielded appropriate. Helping others with KDE and other things can lead to other opportunities too:-

Last edited:
A recent update that included a new kernel, new modules for the kernel, new version of FF solved the crashing issue.

I can now right click on the desktop to configure the desktop or the wallpaper w/o it crashing.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Another new kernel today and I now have all the folders, icons and what I should have.
So glad the KDE side of Slackware is working correctly!

Attachments

• KDE Home.png
    KDE Home.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 6
  • MPlayer Ocean.png
    MPlayer Ocean.png
    893.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Terminal.png
    Terminal.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 6