Solved Kubuntu 22.04 black screen after sleep (AMD Radeon + Ryzen 7700X CPU)

Solved issue

Pacmack

Reaction score
Credits
My Kubuntu 22.04 LTS won't wake up properly from sleep, the screen stays black even though the mouse is visible and I can move it. How could I fix it? I have AMD Radeon RX6700XT + AMD Ryzen 7700X CPU. I have the AMD drivers from their website installed but when I check Kubuntu Driver Manager in the Additional Drivers feature it doesn't list AMD drivers despite them being installed.
My dual monitors are connected via DP.

Driving me insane, please help.

As far as I know, AMD drivers comes pre-bundled with the kernel. A newer kernel version can include fixes for power management and graphics issues. So,

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Can you also post the output of this command?

Code:
sudo lshw -c video
(This should display graphic driver details)

If none of these things work, you may want to try Noveau drivers. In order to do that you have to remove current installed drivers from your system.

My Kubuntu 22.04 LTS won't wake up properly from sleep, the screen stays black even though the mouse is visible and I can move it. How could I fix it? I have AMD Radeon RX6700XT + AMD Ryzen 7700X CPU. I have the AMD drivers from their website installed but when I check Kubuntu Driver Manager in the Additional Drivers feature it doesn't list AMD drivers despite them being installed.
My dual monitors are connected via DP.

Driving me insane, please help.
You may need the amd firmware if it's not installed. In debian it's in the package: firmware-amd-graphics. Some info on ubuntu here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1124253/missing-firmware-for-amdgpu. Can't say for kubuntu.

If the graphics card is amd, the nouveau driver won't work since it's for nvidia graphics cards.

Removed amdgpu drivers that I had installed from AMD website, updated my BIOS and for now the problem seems to have gone away. Not sure if that fixed it or it will persist further.

Members online