Libre office (writer + calc) are running slow

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
hi all,

libre office (writer + calc) run really slow on my computer. computer meets the system requirements;

for both writer + calc i have auto saved turned on for every 10minutes (which doesn't seem like too frequent for libre writer + calc to run slow)

writer + calc also crash alot. and then when i restart the computer, libre will do "document recovery".

so you can guess my question now :) ;

auto-save is useless right? if i turn it off and libre office writer/calc crashes, then won't libre's document recovery do its thing and recover any unsaved changes?

thx

this sucks!

Are the Updates for your computer up to date ?

Which distro and what version number are you running?

hi c - forgot to mention that. yes it is :) you've responded to my posts before. thank you for being on here

hi s - the libre office system requirements website doesn't list different requirements per distro so shouldn't matter (if it does, please have them update their website)

hi v,
maybe this info will help; i'm using my computer as i normally would right now (aka this is the normal amount of stuff have open) and heres the results from task manager;
cpu 10%
processes 276
memory 82%
swap 4% (is his what you're talking about? reallly low meaning its a non-issue right?)

heres what pisses me off;
from task manager;
internet browser is using 800mb
libre is using 760mb

internet browser is using hardrive + internet so shouldn't it be behaving slower than libre office (which just uses the hard drive)

not to brag but i will :) my internet browser rarely runs slow.

this sucks!

Last edited:
What are the chances of you reinstalling Libre Office ?

At least then you will be playing from a clean sheet.

There should have been an update to bring it up to the latest version

I can tell you how to go about that is you are unsure where to look

hi c

1. i didn't understand your last sentence, please rewrite

2. what are the dangers of reinstalling libre office

3. so you're saying linux update manager should've updated libre office to which version?

hi c - forgot to mention that. yes it is :) you've responded to my posts before. thank you for being on here

hi s - the libre office system requirements website doesn't list different requirements per distro so shouldn't matter (if it does, please have them update their website)

hi v,
maybe this info will help; i'm using my computer as i normally would right now (aka this is the normal amount of stuff have open) and heres the results from task manager;
cpu 10%
processes 276
memory 82%
swap 4% (is his what you're talking about? reallly low meaning its a non-issue right?)

heres what pisses me off;
from task manager;
internet browser is using 800mb
libre is using 760mb

internet browser is using hardrive + internet so shouldn't it be behaving slower than libre office (which just uses the hard drive)

not to brag but i will :) my internet browser rarely runs slow.

this sucks!

Hi,

if the memory becomes full your os start to use swap. Which is on your harddrive so, so your system slow down. This should prevent for out of memory kills.

While you're right about LibreOffice itself working the same on every distro, each distro doesn't work the same. Telling us which distro and version number you're using helps us understand the problem more clearly, because those of us who are running the same distro and version number you are now, and have experienced this problem before, can guide you on how to fix it yourself.

so you're saying linux update manager should've updated libre office to which version?

We can't tell that unless you tell us which version of Linux Mint you are using.

Wizard

hi v,

yeah my swap space is not being touched...so what could be causing libre office to be running sooooooooo slow on a fresh restart?

unfortunately the version numbers won't help anyone as it is IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to be running the SAME linux dist + dist version number + libre office version # + COMPUTER MODEL # + CPU + RAM SIZE + RAM SPEED.

this sucks!

heres the info;

swap.jpg

Attachments

• swap.jpg
    swap.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 82

Members online

Latest posts