Reaction score
Credits
hi

trying to open the program but it keeps opening a new "untitled" document

the command i'm using is
libreoffice --writer

any ideas on how to just open the program

thx

A new untitled document is how the program is opening, give a title to the document and start writing

Open without --writer? Simply...
Code:
libreoffice

This opens the LibreOffice Menu where you can select Writer, Calc, Base, or other tools. But when you open Writer, it will open a blank document. That's normal.

any ideas on how to just open the program

Why not just open it from your Menu or from your Panel?

4dQWY7L.png

You can click Libre Office Writer in the Menu and it will open, or when you get to that point, you can right-click to add to your panel, add to desktop, and so on.

Cheers

Wizard

Code:
libreoffice --help

Indicates that the "--writer" option creates a new document. It doesn't mention that it opens it but I guess that goes without saying. :)

Less:
lowriter --help

Indicates that the "--nodefault" option "Starts without displaying anything except the splash screen (do not display initial window)". Unfortunately that's exactly what it does - the splash screen goes away after a few seconds and you are left with -nothing-, although "pidof lowriter" indicates it is still running. I'm imagining Dr Nefario saying, "Yes... I was wondering, under what circumstances would we use this?" :D

I suspect the LibreOffice Writer UI is so document-centric that it just can't run without a document, even it's an empty one.

hi t - marbles is an idiot. by the time he fixes all of his problems, his linux will be obsolete and then we will have to hold his hand again when he has to start with the new linux version

Your version of Linux is supported until June 2025, so there is plenty of time for you to learn a whole lot more. :)

Cheers

Wizard

hi w - thats not the version of linux i have. everything i learn from the kind people on here will obsolete by the time the new version comes out :(

thats not the version of linux i have.

If you tell us which version of linux mint you do have, I can tell you how long it is supported for.

doesn't matter, it will become obsolete so all of the stuff marbles learned from the kind people on here will be useless

doesn't matter, it will become obsolete so all of the stuff marbles learned from the kind people on here will be useless
That is Totally incorrect. You could not be more wrong if you tried all day.

i know when it expires, marbles is right though
Basics stay the same, when new features are added that will be something new to learn. I'm surprised you haven't taken my offer to buy you a Windows license yet.

You got in just in time, Maarten. I am reluctantly closing this Thread, as it is clear that the OP is unwilling or unable to comply with the reasonable requests of Staff.

I have tried to remain patient with him, because, with myself having 8 mental health disorders (all medicated, all managed) I try to go the extra yards with people I believe likely to be challenged.

It is entirely up to our good Members here to continue to provide what assistance and experience they can and have, to him.

In closing, and for the record, the OP has said in Forum at least twice that he is using LO 6.4.7/6.4.7.2, and for that to be so, he is using one of these Linux Mints

LM 21.0 'Ulyana'
LM21.1 'Ulyssa'
LM21.2 'Uma' or
LM21.3 'Una'

For all of those, the end of life is June 2025, as I have said above.

Thanks to all

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online