linux for imac

gwb21471

Reaction score
Credits
Do they make linux for a 2011 imac with a intel cpu and 8gb memory. I want it where i can install it without the macos on it. I do thanks for the help i get.

Welcome to the forums,
that I am afraid is the wrong question, as GNU Linux is so designed to run on almost anything,
the question should be can I install Linux on an old Imac, and the answer is yes, but you may be limited to what distributions you can install by what the specification of your machine is.
You can find information by using the search facility for "Linux on Imac" and "install linux on mac"

Last edited:
Just to toss this into the mix, and to add to @Brickwizard's post...

Any 64 bit should work (as would 32 bit, but that's not a great idea). They'll likely (more often than not, in my experience) need to use 'nomodeset' as those often had Nvidia graphics.

So, this is also applicable:

i been looking online and web site keep telling me to use deepin os. There is lot of pros with it but the biggest con they all put is it base out of china and not lot of apps work with it. i look at unbuntu and pop! os. but i didn't see a mac version just a pc version. i will keep looking.

You will be exceptionally lucky if you Get Pop to work.
First thing to do is download a selection of distributions with different desk tops and run them "Live" from a pen-drive this will give you a good idea if they will work on your machine, and if you like the desktop, the first priority is finding a distribution that will work, example the latest mint lmde5 if it works and your happy with it but don't like the desktop, then you can pick any desktop you do like say one of the many Mac n' hack type and install that, the same goes for most distributions." I don't understand the bit about not a lot of apps work with Deeping" like most other distributions you can swap and change any bits you're not happy with as 90% of Linux apps will run on any distribution.

How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips

You don't need a "Mac version."

Any 64 bit OS should do it.

i didn't see a mac version just a pc version.
that's because there is no specific Mac version of Linux,
Linux comes in 3 basic forms [not all available in every distribution] Linux for I386 [for very old 32 bit machines] Linux for AMD or x86 [this is the general 64 bit build] or linux for Arm [this is for the latest netbooks and servers using Arm architecture CPU's]

Well on my 2011 macbook pro got unbuntu to install. Pop! os wouldn't do anything on it. My imac just waiting for the hard drive tray to finsh 3d print so i can put a 2.5 hard drive in. sorry i said my imac was 2011 but it is a 2009. I try pop! os first on the imac to see if it will install if not i do unbutu on it. thank you for the help.

Staff online

Latest posts