linux livecd default keyboard input

There is/was a distro from France that started in French and likely used a French keyboard layout. There's the North Korean distro that defaults to Korean. I'm sure other examples exist.

So, I don't think there's a true default. It is whatever they set up when developing the distro.

There is/was a distro from France that started in French and likely used a French keyboard layout. There's the North Korean distro that defaults to Korean. I'm sure other examples exist.

So, I don't think there's a true default. It is whatever they set up when developing the distro.

I don't think dear leader would let you have a North Korean keyboard because there's no internet. :)

I don't think dear leader would let you have a North Korean keyboard because there's no internet. :)

But they DO have internet.

I mean, the regular people don't, but there is internet access for their elite, scientists, and the likes.

But no... No, the regular people don't have internet. Their Linux distro is called Red Star OS. I've installed it in a VM to play with.

Last edited:
What was your take?

Not much. I could figure out what most everything was, but I don't speak Korean. I guess it spies on you (to be expected) and reports home to the mother ship if you install and use it. I'm not particularly scared of North Korea, so I didn't actually care if it spied on me. This was also some years back, not something recent.

I didn't care that NorK would be spying on my VM while I played with it. I'm not too worried about the Dear Leader and his Hermit Kingdom.

I didn't care that NorK would be spying on my VM while I played with it. I'm not too worried about the Dear Leader and his Hermit Kingdom.
It isn't about fear of what they may spy, but about what the VM may attempt on your local network. Unless you have firewalled the VM, it is essentially a trusted IP within your local network. Hence, when I decided to try out Deepin a couple years ago, I did not give that VM a bridge interface. I made myself happy seeing what was so special about the DE, and deleted the VM when done.

It isn't about fear of what they may spy, but about what the VM may attempt on your local network.

VBox is pretty well isolated, just don't bridge your connection (as you mentioned) and you'll be just fine. Obviously, don't install the VBox toolkit, either.

But they DO have internet.

I mean, the regular people don't, but there is internet access for their elite, scientists, and the likes.

But no... No, the regular people don't have internet. Their Linux distro is called Red Star OS. I've installed it in a VM to play with.
I knew the internet existed but only for the elite and it's heavily monitored.
mad0034.gif

I've learnt a lot about the hermit kingdom from this girl...who escaped to freedom.
happy0034.gif
://www.youtube.com/c/YeonmiParkOfficial

I knew the internet existed but only for the elite and it's heavily monitored.
mad0034.gif

I've learnt a lot about the hermit kingdom from this girl...who escaped to freedom.
happy0034.gif
://www.youtube.com/c/YeonmiParkOfficial

I am not sure how much further this can go without violating the 'no politics' rule. That rule includes politics in nations we don't live in, as well as our respectively local politics.

I can say that I applied twice for a visa to visit the Hermit Kingdom, but both applications were rejected. I understand that I can go spend some time near the border in China while bribing the right officials and probably get a visa after a few months of pestering (and paying) people. I do not want to visit that badly.

In both cases, the visa rejection was really slow, like around six months. I found that a bit odd.

They must have some devices as there's a group of people who strap USB thumbdrives to balloons and let them float into NorK territory. I gotta assume they researched this and there are devices on which to read said devices.

You're lucky you weren't allowed to go there..not somewhere I'd go.
happy0035.gif

Staff online

Members online