Linux Mint Forums Hacked.....? :(

B

blackneos940

Hello, everyone..... :3 I'm back, and..... I saw on It's FOSS that the Linux Mint Website got Hacked..... :( Well, I know what "Hacking" really MEANS, and, this was actually a "Crack", as far as I can tell..... But it's still bad..... :( What does this mean, anyway.....? Well, some are saying that it was Wordpress, and NOT Linux Mint itSELF..... :\ I know Linux isn't BULLETPROOF, but I sometimes wonder how safe I really am, now that I use Mint on this Laptop of mine..... But it's probably just paranoia..... ^^ I'll be posting more on here soon, as I'm finally starting to crawl out of this "hole" of mine..... ;) LATER!!..... ^^

What happened?

Hackers made a modified Linux Mint ISO, with a backdoor in it, and managed to hack our website to point to it.

Does this affect you?

As far as we know, the only compromised edition was Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition.

If you downloaded another release or another edition, this does not affect you. If you downloaded via torrents or via a direct HTTP link, this doesn’t affect you either.

Finally, the situation happened today, so it should only impact people who downloaded this edition on February 20th.

In case you haven't read the whole thing.

In case you haven't read the whole thing.

Well, I never saw THAT..... :\ I DID see what happened from Arstechnica, and I think Wired, maybe.....? :\ But, yes, I had known about the ISOs being modded, but I didn't yet understand what exactly went on.... :) I'll read and Bookmark the URL.... :) Thanks for pointing it out to me, buddy..... :D

At least I don't really use Linux Mint anymore.

Anyway, this just shows how vulnerable everyone is on the internet. Regardless of what security measures you have in place, there always is the chance, as in what happened to LM, that something can get overlooked, and things like this happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Linux Mint does. My point is that our precious internet is not as safe as it used to be.

At least I don't really use Linux Mint anymore.

Anyway, this just shows how vulnerable everyone is on the internet. Regardless of what security measures you have in place, there always is the chance, as in what happened to LM, that something can get overlooked, and things like this happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Linux Mint does. My point is that our precious internet is not as safe as it used to be.
Well, it seems like Linux Mint itSELF was not compromised, at least..... :) Also, I heard that Wordpress has pretty shoddy security..... :\ However, I still feel safe using this Distro..... :) And I always EXPECT to be..... :D

Staff online