LINUX ON ACEMAGIC X15?

Emanate Presence

Reaction score
Credits
As a senior, and newbie to Linux, some help would be appreciated.

I just saw there are laptops sold configured for and loaded with Linux. That would be more ideal, but would strain my budget.

I'm looking at the Acemagic AX15 Laptop on Amazon.

Does anyone know if it can run Mint Linux?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forums Youn'en
It would [may need some work]
this machine is only a little better than some Chromebooks and worse than others [Linux can be installed on a Chromebook, but can be a right pain in the butt to configure] if you're on a budget then I would look for a reconditioned Del or Lenovo with either an I series Intel or an AMD Ryzen CPU and around 8gb ram [you can get away with 4 gb for basic home computing & surfing]

Welcome to the forums Youn'en
It would [may need some work]
this machine is only a little better than some Chromebooks and worse than others [Linux can be installed on a Chromebook, but can be a right pain in the butt to configure] if you're on a budget then I would look for a reconditioned Del or Lenovo with either an I series Intel or an AMD Ryzen CPU and around 8gb ram [you can get away with 4 gb for basic home computing & surfing]
Thank you!

Thank you!
It's not expected that anyone gives me free consultation.... and no one will be responsible for the outcome but me. HOWEVER, all tips and suggestions are welcomed. I'm an old DOS guy who went grudgingly to Windows and after new laptop stolen went to an iPad which served well but is worn out. I'm on Azores with weak WiFi and screen freezes sometimes it's not clear when my writings post. This Lenovo has half the storage and half the RAM, but of course that's not all that matters. Any comments if this is better than the ACEMAGIC?

About this item​

• This Full HD 15.6 inch Lenovo laptop impresses with a fast AMD Ryzen Quad Core processor, 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD
  • CPU model.family: ryzen 3 2200u
  • Graphics coprocessor: integrated graphics
  • CPU model.speed: 2400.0 MHz
  • Graphics description: AMD Radeon graphics
  • Human interface input : touch pad
  • Wireless comm standard: 802 11 AC

• RAM memory.installed size: 8.0 GB
  • Native resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
  • Other features: 1x HDMI 1.4b, 1x USB-C 3.0 with DisplayPort 1.2, 2x USB-A 3.0, 1x Gb LAN, 1x jack, keyboard with German layout (number pad), touchpad
  • This device comes with pre-installed Windows 11 Pro. The packaging is therefore carefully opened before shipping and closed again after installation.
  • Battery.cell composition: lithium ion
  • Control method: touch
  • Graphics ram.type: shared
  • System ram type: DDR4 SDRAM
  • Hard disk.interface: pci express x16
  • Hard disk.size: 256.0 GB

I recommend reconditioned Lenovo thinkpads. With SSD drive. I have used several and they always work with Linux well.
And Welcome to the Linux.org forum. Don't know where you are located but if in the U.S. New egg has some pretty good deals on reconditioned Lenovo's and Dells. See here:

and here:
I'm on the Azores, on a small Portuguese island in the Atlantic. Only choice is Amazon.

the machine you described should work for you.

I'm on the Azores, on a small Portuguese island in the Atlantic. Only choice is Amazon.
[ which one]
you can buy from E-bay but may have to pay extra shipping [and duty if purchased outside the EU]

We do get eBay here, our son in Germany buys from them. I will check it out. I see Amazon.de has a refurbished selection and will look it over. Unfortunately certain items don't ship here and some keyboards are German, so it's a process to find viable ones. Are you up for seeing another one or two, if I don't overdo?

Ah, which island? We are in a remote area of Faial Island.

Incidentally, I'm with you on Bill Gates. Too much to post here. My website has more.

We are in a remote area of Faial Island.
now that is a small island.........

Any dell or Lenovo between 3 and 8 yrs old, with Ryzen or Intel I5 or I7 CPU [try to avoid I3] with a min 4gb Ram will run any Linux distribution you fancy, newer machines can cause more problems for the newbie as drivers for the latest components are not always available
you mentioned Mint, I run Mint LMDE on my dell [it's a tad lighter than mint 23 [Ubuntu] based], my friend @kc1di runs Kubuntu on his [I belive] Lenovo laptop

now that is a small island.........

Any dell or Lenovo between 3 and 8 yrs old, with Ryzen or Intel I5 or I7 CPU [try to avoid I3] with a min 4gb Ram will run any Linux distribution you fancy, newer machines can cause more problems for the newbie as drivers for the latest components are not always available
you mentioned Mint, I run Mint LMDE on my dell [it's a tad lighter than mint 23 [Ubuntu] based], my friend @kc1di runs Kubuntu on his [I belive] Lenovo laptop
Well, that's helpful information. I just have to chew on the fact that older is better in this case. You probably answered my next question. I haven't always had great results with refurbished. How do you feel about this new one, then I won't press for more:

Processor: AMD Athlon Gold 7220U, 4 Thread CPU, 3.70 GHz

Memory: 8GB DDR5 RAM

SSD: 512 GB, Windows and applications launch lightning fast

3D graphics card: AMD Radeon 610M 4GB shared memory, 2 graphics cores, DirectX 12, with HDMI

Display: matte 39 cm (15.6 inches), full HD 1920 x 1080 pixels, HD BrightView with LED backlight.

Yes, Faial is small. 2 hours drive around island for us slowbies. Different than central California where we moved from.

The Athlon Gold 7220U, is considered an entry level CPU, it is solid and reliable and fine for everyday home computing, definitely not good for more than light gaming or photo rendering or video editing, with 2 cores each with 2 threads it has a reasonable turn of speed for everyday computing, surfing, etc. was often used in the entry level HP laptops [HP's often cause problems avoid if possible].

The Athlon Gold 7220U, is considered an entry level CPU, it is solid and reliable and fine for everyday home computing, definitely not good for more than light gaming or photo rendering or video editing, with 2 cores each with 2 threads it has a reasonable turn of speed for everyday computing, surfing, etc. was often used in the entry level HP laptops [HP's often cause problems avoid if possible].
I'll probably stay with your recommendation for "Any dell or Lenovo between 3 and 8 yrs old, with Ryzen or Intel I5 or I7 CPU [try to avoid I3] with a min 4gb Ram..."

There's another that might work for me but is new.

An Amazon seller just notified me automatically (in French) they got my question about the laptop they offer and will respond. I asked if the German keyboard is only in the numeric keys as it appears.

Amazon also has reconditioned Lenovo thinkpad Amazon
Thank you. I'm on Azores and order from Amazon.de and the one you linked looks great but they don't ship here....

Attachments

• IMG_2685.png
    IMG_2685.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

Members online