Linux OS which load entirely into RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy posted this video which told me MX Linux has options for loading into RAM. In addition to actually watching that video, actually READING all the replies, and studying this intently, as well as DOING many installs and experiments. I come back and share what I've learned, HOPING people with zero interest can just not screw up the thread for those who do have interest, and guy is still bent out of shape about something? I guess it's because I told him nicely his post about his liveUSB wasn't helpful and he went on to prove me right by continuing to post more completely unhelpful replies.

View attachment 19475

Before condemning other folks replies, it might be helpful if you looked in the mirror - at length.
Just my opinion of course.
OG
TC

Some observations on the video.

When the OS is loaded into RAM, you mention that it's "not saving anything from my hard drive and not loading anything from my hard drive" at that time, rather, all the configurations are loaded into the "linuxfs".

Does that mean that all the configuration files for the apps which are normally on the hard drive in various dot files and dot directories in the /home/<user> directory, have to be set into the linuxfs file? Or are all the configurations made in the /etc configuration files?

Does the way it's set up make the system a single-user system?
Has it lost the UNIX multi-user capability?

The frugal system is booted from the grub of another linux OS, which you mention as a down side. It may be possible to boot using the syslinux/isolinux bootloader software and then using the BIOS/UEFI boot menu which would make it truly independent of the other installations on the machine. As described, it has been integrated with a dependency on another distro's grub, but it doesn't need to be that way if it uses any independent bootloader.

Unfortunately the video is not a step-by-step set of instructions of what was done to create the frugal installation, rather it's an overarching personal free range commentary about the frugal system, which later runs into more general commentary. For the time spent to watch it, I would have preferred to get the details of what you actually did and learnt, but YMMV.
There's a lot of options. For example, you can keep your home directory seperate from rootfs, a third file to linuxfs and rootfs. You can save with personal or not personal. You can add additional users like any other installation. For information on step-by-step there's better places to get that information. I don't want to get my balls busted for posting a link or saying where you would find such info, but it probably is not too hard to figure out.

Because there are so many options, I don't know if saying exactly how I did it would be valuable to anyone. My main thing is to say it's really only for someone willing to do some learning. People who want a 5 minute video to explain things to them, this is not for them. People who want to think this is the same as their live USB, this is not for them. Someone who likes to reply to threads on forums all day without reading them, or posts videos without watching them and then displays their ignorance from not hearing what was said in the video is not the type of person who would want to try this. This is for someone who wants to draw information from a number of sources and find out what is best for them through trial and error. Someone with curiosity who enjoys learning I guess.

One thing I didn't mention is it will help you understand your processor, RAM, and hard drive better and how they interact. From the replies I can tell that many people do not know this. If they'd like to learn, doing this will help.

Last edited:
But my post is really just for anyone interested in it. I'm not trying to generate clicks and views or garner 10,000 people to watch my video. I don't understand why you feel the need to weigh in at all? I can't just post a Linux question on a Linux forum and expect that maybe someone who is interested and knows something about it to reply? This requires a bunch of people with no interest in it and don't even know what I'm talking about to weigh in? Why?
Because you don't get to pick who among us is interested in your ideas, or who will respond with questions about your ideas. You don't set the tone for the forum... we set the tone. And we usually begin and continue with friendly banter and joking, in addition to probing for more information. It's been this way for many years, and you are obviously not familiar with us and how it works here.

Your ideas aren't controversial or the source of disagreement, not now and not in your previous thread. It's your attitude, and your expectation that you can set the rules of discussion for us. I hope you can come around to seeing what I'm telling you. Please engage in a friendly manner and lighten up on the attitude.

We can all get along here. If you don't like someone's comments/questions... ignore them. Ignore mine, I don't care. But if you keep bringing anger and hostility to your comments, of course it invites the same back to you. The staff here won't let that go on for long. Let it go, and play nice. You know you may not be here long if you don't. Or if we are not your cup of tea, we won't mind that you look for another community, and a breakup between us can be your choice. Really, the choice is yours right now.

Good luck!

@atanere :-

I suspect the OP thinks we're like LinuxQuestions.org. A site which, while full of highly-educated individuals who know a hell of a lot about Linux & programming in general, is also deadly dull. There's no banter, no friendliness.....every thread is straight into the highly-technical stuff. I had an a/c there for a few years - still do, I suppose - but I just left them to it 'cos it wasn't my sort of community. What little humour there was, was exclusively SysAdmin humour; a relatively small, select club where everybody knows each other.....and the jokes are all very much "in-house".

(If you don't belong to the club, you couldn't possibly understand the humour.....)

Rather like StackExchange, in a way; full of uber-geeks that kind of assume everybody else is the same.....and if you don't demonstrate exceptional technical knowledge & know-how, they REALLY don't want anything to do with you.

The OP still has an a/c with the Puppy forums.....but I doubt we'll see him back. After jeering at, taking the p**s out of and regularly insulting our Admin, rockedge, he left just before he would have been permanently banned anyway.....

I've got no time for people like that.

Mike. o_O

I do think linux.org should be a place where people can post a question about a linux topic there is some people interested in without the most active members and mods of the forum destroying the thread. That would be nice. Even a topic which may be for people who like to read and learn about things. Anti-learning doesn't seem like a great linux philosophy to me. But please keep posting about everything except Linux OS's which load into RAM and prove me right more.

OP is taking a vacation.

Rudeness, complaining while not answering questions, etc... Just generally crappy behavior towards our helpers.

They're welcome to return after that month. Heck, I'll have forgotten about them entirely after a month.

This guy posted this video which told me MX Linux has options for loading into RAM. In addition to actually watching that video, actually READING all the replies, and studying this intently, as well as DOING many installs and experiments. I come back and share what I've learned, HOPING people with zero interest can just not screw up the thread for those who do have interest, and guy is still bent out of shape about something? I guess it's because I told him nicely his post about his liveUSB wasn't helpful and he went on to prove me right by continuing to post more completely unhelpful replies.

View attachment 19475

This guy put a like in for the video I posted...the help he needs can't be given on this Forum.
1713654155253.gif

Don't worry my Padawan I will teach you how to use DuckDuckGo and understand youtube videos after your Holiday...you have my word.
m1212.gif

I am just finishing my 2nd Sunday morning coffee, and I see that coffee is not the only thing that has been brewing. :(

I have locked this thread, for the duration of the enforced holiday provided the OP by @KGIII , whose actions I endorse.

If the OP decides to return after the month expires, he might do well to re-read the site's Terms and Rules, they are only 8 paragraphs and 18 lines, possibly the shortest of any Linux forum.

If there is another repetition of this, I would say three strikes and you're out.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online