linux pop ups are taking over

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
i keep getting an infinite number of pop ups (see below)

i don't know what happened. i didn''t click on anything and this is the first day its happening

how to turn this off

i don't want to chose an email client as i don't use this feature

thx

Attachments

• daily linux problems.png
    daily linux problems.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 147

If you click on the little arrow shape, there should be an option, once set, you won't/shouldn't get bothered again.

hi c,

i did a restart and i'm not seeing it anymore. i will let you know if it happens again

thx for your prompt response

why was linux designed so poorly that restarts fixes problems it causes?

I've hear that as pebkac - person between keyboard and chair

Whatever acronym you wish to use, the meaning is clear. The weakest point of any computer system is not hardware, it is not software, It is carelessness and a lack of diligence from the operator.

Problem in chair, not in Computer......@JasKinasis ...Perfect !

I got a pop up...
m1203.gif

2023-09-05-15-03.png

problem happening again.

if i did a restart and the problem was fixed, then the comments above are invalid

so now the problem comes back, its still linux's fault

why are people so rude on here? they're quick to judge me without experiencing the problem themselves

let the bickering begin..................

problem happening again.

if i did a restart and the problem was fixed, then the comments above are invalid

why are people so rude on here? they're quick to judge me without experiencing the problem themselves

the biggest reason you are getting so much flak is this....

"hi c,
i did a restart and i'm not seeing it anymore. i will let you know if it happens again
thx for your prompt response
why was linux designed so poorly that restarts fixes problems it causes?
"

you made this rather ignorant comment. The people above were most likely correct and I am surprised that somebody didn't just say "go back to windows". Many see that last line as "fighting words"

I can understand you are upset and frustrated, I have been there at times also.
Now if you want help I went through the thread and I can't find information about what flavor of linux this is happening on, what you may have installed, and most important... a picture of some of the offending pop ups. I only saw one picture and that looks like part of a setup that you didn't do or say no thanks to.
basically we could use more information so we can help. Remember that going to a mechanic and saying your car doesn't go as fast as you think it should will do nothing unless you tell the mechanic what kind of car you have and what you are trying to do. Insulting and Complaining to those trying to help will not further your cause.

I am willing to help but you must provide some information so I can speak intelligently to you about it, and you must be open to the possibility that you may have caused the issue. But if possible we will help you either way. Linux is like anything else. A learning experience.

Last edited:
they're quick to judge me without experiencing the problem themselves

They're human, I suppose. We all are. (I've not previously commented in this thread.)

The popups appear to be asking about email. Did you set something up, perhaps a cron job or other system task, to email you upon completion?

problem happening again.

We will try to help but need more info.
What distro are you using? is it a fresh install?...

Last edited:

I try not to be prideful - but I'm a wee bit proud of this.

Copy and paste the bit you linked and search Google for that search term.

Yes, I'm as amazed as you are with the results. I did not expect Google to grace me with that position.

Search terms: 'ask a good support question' (to be more clear, though there are other terms that it pops up for. I'm pretty darned pleased with that.

Looking at your vague description and your screenshot looks like you might have reset the default applications, you should be able to go to settings -> default applications(might be a different location or naming under setting for whatever Desktop Environment you are using) and set them to what you want from there. I'm still offering to buy you a windows 10 or 11 key like the last time I replied if it will make your life easier. Do you want it?

Last edited:
Many of us have experienced these or similar problems, which accounts for the advice we provide.

We often have, effectively, one hand tied behind our backs when you refuse to give us the name, version number, and desktop environment of the distro you are using, and you have been asked numerous times, going back as far as January, as as recently as June 27 and June 28. On that latter occasion you were asked by one Member first, and by me, second.

You have also told us we do not need to know that information, and I maintain that it may help.

Back in January, you told us you were using Libre Office 6.4.7.2, and so I was able to establish that you were likely using Linux Mint 20.2 'Uma' or thereabouts, and advised some helpers to that effect.

You do yourself no favours by withholding this information, and I am only surprised that there have not been more people giving less than friendly responses.

We don't know that, and you certainly don't.

If the problem was, even briefly, fixed with a reboot, you could have taken that opportunity to take a Tmeshift snapshot to revert back to if it happened again.

Do yourself, and us, a favour, and help us to help you.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

marbles

i think i found a solution for you. After seeing wizardfromoz finding you are likely using Linux Mint 20.2 'Uma' or thereabouts "post 17" i looked for this problem on Firefox and found this.
Mark thunderbird mail even if your not going to use it.

P.S. if you can not help us help you. WE CAN NOT HELP YOU!
P.S.S. My apology for raising my voice.

Members online

Latest posts