LMDE GPU - how to check drivers.

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!

How do I check which drivers im using for my GPU? I am running a HP Victus, with a NVIDIA 3050, and an 13th gen intel i5 with 16GB of ram. I am running LMDE 6 and i heard there are proprietary drivers and open source drivers, which are better? and how do I find out which ones im presently using?

Hi!

How do I check which drivers im using for my GPU? I am running a HP Victus, with a NVIDIA 3050, and an 13th gen intel i5 with 16GB of ram. I am running LMDE 6 and i heard there are proprietary drivers and open source drivers, which are better? and how do I find out which ones im presently using?
Hey there, dude! Checking which GPU drivers you're using in Linux is quite simple. To find out if you're using proprietary or open-source drivers, you can use the following commands in the terminal:

For NVIDIA GPUs:
Code:
nvidia-smi

For AMD GPUs:
Code:
sudo lshw -c video | grep configuration

For Intel GPUs:
Code:
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor"

If you see the NVIDIA driver mentioned in the output, it means you're using the proprietary driver. In the case of AMD or Intel, if you see a mention of "Mesa" or "X.org" in the output, it means you're using the open-source drivers.

As for which one is better, it depends on your specific needs. Open-source drivers generally have good compatibility and stability, but they might lack certain advanced features or performance optimizations present in proprietary drivers. Proprietary drivers, on the other hand, can provide better performance and additional features, but they might be less stable and have limited support.

Ultimately, it's up to your personal preference and requirements. If you're happy with your current setup, then you're good to go, bro!

Staff online

Members online