Logged in and Kali now shows bridge connection

jeffjot

Reaction score
Credits
Have had some weird behavior lately- namely an old cell phone in my drawer I haven't used in years started playing music all by itself around 1 am. It was a video music file I had downloaded to my PC. I had charged up the old phone for the first time in about 5 years last night only to find out the screen display was no longer working so its useless. Even though the android itself works- I can plug it in and see the files.

I have no idea how that could happen, but it was creepy! Anyway I logged in my PC this morning and under Network Connections, it shows my wired connection. But it also shows underneath that now, "Bridge lxcbr0". I've never seen this before. What does it mean?

OK I tried checking to see what connections are on my network with:

sudo arp-scan --interface=eth0 --localnet

I got:

Interface: eth0, type: EN10MB, (addresses)
Starting arp-scan 1.10.0 with 256 hosts (https://github.com/royhills/arp-scan)
(ip address) Magicjack LP
(ip address) (Unknown)
(ip address) 2Wire Inc
(ip address) Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd.
(ip address) Wyze Labs Inc
(ip address) Wyze Labs Inc
(ip address) Smart Innovation LLC
(ip address) Seiko Epson Corporation
(ip address) Roku, Inc.
(ip address) 2Wire Inc
So. Magicjack LP I know, that's my internet phone. The two Wyze Labs Inc appear to be my garage cam and yard cam (for dog sitting). I'm assuming this just means they're on the network, right?
The Seiko Epson appears to be my downstairs printer. And the Roku is my Roku.
So what are the others?
Of course "Unknown", yeah that's good. But Hon Hai Precision Ind Co, Ltd? Smart Innovation LLC. And 2Wire, Inc? Is there any way to find out more information about these?
Maybe I sound a little paranoid but to have a 2015 old Android phone start playing music from your PC, boxed away in a drawer by itself, blaring loudly after midnight would have you looking too, lol

Could the unknowns be:
  • Network equipment like a router, an access point, a managed switch, or something like that?
  • Streaming device?
  • Smart TV?
  • Other media related devices like a DVR (TiVo?), Blu-Ray or DVD player?
  • Kitchen and home appliances like the oven, washer, or dryer?
  • A neighbor on your network?

In addition to the above, you may also want to scan for other hidden networks in your home. When I scanned our home three years ago, I discovered two hidden WiFi networks operating inside our home. I tracked them down to two Roku-based ultra-low-cost Smart TVs. The WiFi networks were for WiFi-based remote controls, which we did not own and did not know about. The configuration setting is not labelled with anything like "WiFi" or "802.11" or anything like that.
(Roku: Home -> Settings -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Device connect -> Disable "Device connect")

About a year and a half ago, we bought a Samsung washer and dryer set. I recently discovered that each of them has its own WiFi access point. They appear only when the washer or dryer is running, and turn off soon after they stop, which is why it took so long to notice them. I assume that they are there for servicing the appliance, but found little documentation about them. There is no simple way to disable them.

So what is the lxcbr0 bridge connection for, exactly?
My laptop doesn't have it, and works fine without it. It only has the wired connection, which is all I need.
Can I just get rid of it? It also has "Enable IGMP snooping" checked as "yes". Oh yes, well by all means. Enable snooping!
Also what's the purpose of the checkmark, "Allow all users to connect to this network". I'm the only user, why would that need to be checked.

if you're using WSL or a VM, then it should show as a bridge connection

Well I have Wine and I do have a dosdevice and C: drive. Is this what you're talking about?

Well I have Wine and I do have a dosdevice and C: drive. Is this what you're talking about?
No, have you installed Kali direct to your hard-drive, or a persistent pen-drive {which will connect directly to your internet}, or have you installed it through WSL [windows subsystem for Linux] or a VM [virtual machine]{which will connect to the internet via a bridge to the host OS.
So what is the lxcbr0 bridge connection

Are you using Kali for pen-testing, or are you trying to use it as a daily operating system [not what it is designed for, -read the full Kali documentation]

Members online