MDADM Array Query

doac00

Reaction score
Credits
Folks

New to forum so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I have a Netgear NAS that uses MDADM for it's software RAID. I have a RAID 6 setup and a failed disk which I duly replaced to only have the another disk fail while the new disk was syncing/striping etc... I'm not competent in Linux or MDADM but have not done anything with the system as yet. I took out the second disk that have so called failed as well to check it with the WD check software on my PC via a USB to SATA connection (all fine). The event count on this disk and the 2 that have not failed are the same, obviously the one that was re-building is not (and differs more than 50). I was wondering if it would be worth trying to force the array knowing this or it there are other things to check prior to this like superblock sizing and such like???

Any assist would be appreciated to try and re-build this array

Thx

I'm not really great on NAS, but I have started using a Synology unit - RAID 5 - that I set up for a small non-profit that I have a relationship with. The Synology unit has some decent utilities for checking disk health, I would be surprised if Netgear did not also have some built-in capabilities. I would start with any utiltities that Netgear might have, or recommend for installation. An external disk check checker may not understand the disk's configuration and could report a false positive. I would agree that the disk with the high event count MAY have a problem, but/if it is will be hard to tell without investigating IT more thoroughly.

Thanks - but I don;t want to "mess" with any Netgear GUI here, don't want to try and write over anything at this moment in time - CLI into the unit I can see that it's LINUX based and Mdadm is used for the RAID assembly. I have allot of data on the device so clearly want to see if I can recover this - the disks are all WD RED drives, and you can use their application to check the disks (but in order to do that I need to take out of NAS and into a PC to enable the check).

Just need to know what checks I need to do to possibly allow a forced array to work knowing the event count on the 2 good disks (good to the NAS) and the last failed disk have the same event counts - Mdadm will not assemble the array right now.

Sorry, like I said I don't know the Netgear product very well. All I was pointing out is that the Synology thing has some GUI tools for doing health checks. I won't do anything here to jeopardize what you have. I do recommend that you backup your data to an external drive, simply because you are experiencing some anomalies and your data is far more important than selecting a system administration tool for a health check - at this point.

You may want to find a Netgear NAS forum or contact Netgear customer service directly. I wish you well.

Members online

Latest posts