Microsoft gives a link to Linux.org

arochester

Reaction score
Credits

Scroll down to "Community support".

Very interesting. There are a few Omissions/errors but on the whole what a boost for us, [it could explain some of the increase the number of visitors viewing our pages]

That article is like saying ''we don't see Linux as a competitor, we even host an article about it for charity''

No I haven't read that, interesting story
The interesting bit [if you look at the date] is this was just a couple of months before the release of WSL [Windows subsystem for Linux], since when they have developed their cloud operation also based on Linux not windows. Makes me think MS may move away from producing its own OS and just concentrate on the more profitable service sector of the industry.

The interesting bit [if you look at the date] is this was just a couple of months before the release of WSL [Windows subsystem for Linux], since when they have developed their cloud operation also based on Linux not windows. Makes me think MS may move away from producing its own OS and just concentrate on the more profitable service sector of the industry.
Why wouldn't they, they've already got the home user base and quite most of the business industry.
I don't know of any businesses where I go that use Linux they use Windows.
Cloud is the future and where things are moving towards.
When things go cloud the companies that own the clouds don't need user permissions to collect and search and use user data.

MSFT is like a part of the Linux foundation. They make bank with Linux, specifically with their cloud hosting platform. They even have their own Linux distro.

They make bank with Linux, specifically with their cloud hosting platform.
So, they are looking after their own?....omg...that does sound creepy !

It never ceases to amaze me the number of rabbit holes that "exist" on linux/the internet/M'soft

Here we have a perfectly sane suggestion by the biggest in the business, to use a smallish sites resources in order to "help you assess what's available, well-supported, or growing in popularity."

In my book, that's a well intentioned compliment.

It is a fact....WE ARE THAT GOOD.

I read this article like someone told an employee to write an article about Linux with information that's available in countless other places just to show that they don't compete with Linux. Just like YouTube hosting videos about the evils of Google and alternative email providers and search engines

It seems to me like some kind of strategy suggested to them by educated people in marketing. A ''non conflict'' strategy to maintain the status quo... Just a guess

So, they are looking after their own?....omg...that does sound creepy !

Darned right, they are. They want a piece of the FOSS space. They're legit members of the Linux Foundation and one of the top code contributors to the Linux kernel.

They're not doing this out of the goodness of their heart. No. No, they are not.

Scroll down to "Community support".

Oh my stars and garters Alan, I never thought I'd see the day. :D

Does that mean we should gird our loins in anticipation of a plethora of people joining?

I must put out the fancy tablecloths and polish up the best cutlery.

Friday here in Oz so

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Hey!

At the moment of this writing, there's no link: just a screenshot and a plain text Linux.org mention.

Was this always the case?

At the moment of this writing, there's no link:
we are mentioned twice, this bit has a click link
"

Bare metal Linux​

Bare metal Linux just means that Linux is running directly on the device hardware. This install method requires you to create a bootable USB drive by downloading an iso install file from the site hosting your chosen Linux distribution. You will need to use a Windows computer (or any desktop device with an existing OS) to create this drive.

Many users choose the traditional method of installing bare metal Linux on a device that is also running Windows and using the "dual boot" method. To dual boot Linux and Windows, you need to partition your hard drive to create separate spaces for both the Linux and Windows OS. The performance speed between WSL, virtual machines, and bare metal Linux has become so close that few developers choose this method due to the overhead of needing to restart (reboot) your device any time you want to switch between the operating systems. If you choose the bare metal Linux install route, you may also need to deal with potential driver issues or hardware compatibility problems that may arise with Linux on some devices.

You can find a list of Popular Linux Distributions available for download on Linux.org. Once you've chosen a distro, follow the instructions to Create a bootable USB to install bare-metal Linux."

At the moment of this writing, there's no link: just a screenshot and a plain text Linux.org mention.

They've banned it for Sydneysiders, Gabe - works fine in Queensland. :)

I find this very strange m$ would do this...especially when m$ calls Linux a cancer.
t2403.gif

It might backfire on m$ when these windowz users see how much better Linux really is.
m1212.gif

I find this very strange m$ would do this...especially when m$ calls Linux a cancer.
t2403.gif
That was Steve Ballmer who said that back when he was Microsoft's CEO, he actually came back from that.

Last edited:
ok these mods are way too super cereal, the botnet spamming thing was a joke, but i guess some people cant read the sarcasm in the room........

Members online

Latest posts