New to Learning Linux

luvrgirl

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys :) I'm currently in online university getting a certification in Linux+ and LPIC-1 and its been a struggle! Does anyone have any resources or help that can make this smoother? I cannot drop the class of course, but I don't want to either, I really really want to begin to learn this. Any help resources? I'll even take a tutor. I'm like a newborn here :rolleyes::(

Welcome to the forums.

The best way to learn is to actually get your feet wet somehow. This is the hardest part: Look for a Linux distro, to download its ISO. Begin with the page on this site, on the line near the top which says "Download Linux". (Surrounded by "Members" and "Newsletter".) Choose one of those distros and download the ISO. Get a 16GB or 32GB pluggable USB disk that doesn't have anything important on it! Then "burn" the ISO onto the USB. If you don't know how to "burn" then start another topic and ask about it.

Just choose one distro. If you can't decide then you need to look around in Internet search to see what other people are saying. Or maybe on this forum. I'm not going to suggest one or the other, that's up to you.

This is going to be a crash to some people: you should spend a good deal of time on the terminal. Try out some things like creating a file. Like using "FOR" command to repeat an operation for a list of files. Trying to write your first "bash" script and get it to work. It could be fun... but scripting could be a genuine headache because the terminal interpreter is very specific about things, stuff needs to be in an exact place or it refuses to budge. :/ But don't be discouraged by my statements about it. Dealing with the terminal is one of the most important aspects of being a Linux power user. Some people use Linux and rarely deal with the terminal, but that's considered OK these days. But it could be an advantage for you if you could learn it.

Reading books and watching other people doing it on Youtube isn't going to do anything, perhaps except increase suspicion and/or increase fear of making a mistake. If you are serious about getting a certification, you must get your hands on actually using the target product. There is no better way.

Hi luvrgirl and welcome to Linux.org.

I second what kc1di said....the best way is to indeed: use it-:)

14 years ago I didn't know a thing about Linux so I installed Linux Ubuntu and started using it everyday and joined the Ubuntu Forums. As time progress it wasn't so intimidating to use.
I also installed Slackware (which will not hold your hand) read all of the online documentation and it taught me a lot.

Look for study guides online that will help you to pass your exams.
Good luck with your certification.

@luvrgirl :-

Welcome to Linux.org.

I second what's been said above. Use it! You learn far quicker by "breaking" and re-installing your system - often several times; this is, BTW, perfectly normal for Linux newbies - than you ever will by reading tons of documentation and trying to approach it from the theory angle.

Getting your hands "dirty" has ALWAYS - in my experience - been the quickest way to get the hang of anything.

We're happy to help in any way we can, but the impetus HAS to come from you......or else everybody's wasting their time (especially you). And it usually all stems from one thing; humans do NOT like stepping out of their "comfort zone".

It gets worse the older you get, too. Believe it!

Mike. ;)

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

I'm pretty new to this forum as well, you'll find tons of great help here. Also don't sweat it just stay persistent in learning Linux little by little.

Staff online