Not Sure About Mint Anymore.....

B

blackneos940

Now, you guys KNOW I LOVE Linux Mint, and I Love ANY FOSS Operating System..... :) However, as evidenced by installing it on my Laptop, and my Mom's (both of which are pretty new [her's a little older than mine]), I've found something troublesome.... :( Linux Mint is somewhat slow to Boot, and even SLOWER to Log IN..... D: This is after only having ONE Program (other than the already-existing ones), Autostart on Login..... (It's Psensor, if any of you are wondering..... :)) It's gotten to the point that a Girl at a Computer Store/Repair Shop my Mom took her Computer to to sell (which I put Mint on, even though she wanted to sell it anyway) (and this Girl who honestly doesn't seem to know too much about Computers or that the Windows Product Key is, in fact, NOT on the bottom of most, if not ALL, new Laptops), said that it took too long to Boot..... :( It seems like I can't seriously recommend Linux Mint to people anymore..... :( And I LOVE it, and still continue to use it, despite it taking a while to actually to start up..... :) It seems that this slowness occurs, even on FRESH installs..... :( Any help guys.....? Is Mint now too slow for people to use.....? I sure hope not..... :( However, if it IS, then ignoring it won't help at all....... :( Thanks for any help guys....... :3

You pay for bloat, the price is high: speed. Install LFS or at least Debian minimal (Gentoo/CRUX/whatever you build yourself). If you will go with Debian, don't forget to remove that God darned systemd, strip down the kernel, remove unnecessary shenanigans from autostart and lo! Your God darned fifteen year old Inspiron boots in astounding ten seconds. Seriously, you've just found another skill to impress ladies and lassies.

You pay for bloat, the price is high: speed. Install LFS or at least Debian minimal (Gentoo/CRUX/whatever you build yourself). If you will go with Debian, don't forget to remove that God darned systemd, strip down the kernel, remove unnecessary shenanigans from autostart and lo! Your God darned fifteen year old Inspiron boots in astounding ten seconds. Seriously, you've just found another skill to impress ladies and lassies.
Haha!..... :D You're funny, buddy..... :3 All that actually sounds really cool.... :) However, I also want to look into putting Xubuntu on this Laptop my Mom is going to sell..... I mean, let's face it: NO one is going to want to assemble Linux when they turn a Laptop on, and I don't trust myself to set something like LFS up for them, either..... :( So, Xubuntu it is.....? :3

I am!

No big difference there would be. Xfce is taking the bloat road, porting their major components to GTK+3. Think LXDE, Openbox or maybe even TDE.
Well, of course you are, silly..... :p I mean, I'm talking about people who are NEW to Linux..... :) Think about when I first came to this Forum..... :) Now think back even FURTHER..... :D I just stumbled upon Ubuntu, new to this "Linux thing", and the LAST thing I wanted to do was assemble it from scratch..... :) Also, I like LXDE too, as well as Openbox, and, well, that Trinity thing is new to me..... :) Anywho, I sure HOPE that XFCE remains lightweight enough.... :( Anywho, I've been studying Computer Networking recently..... :) And I LOVE it.... :D

Haha!..... :D You're funny, buddy..... :3 All that actually sounds really cool.... :) However, I also want to look into putting Xubuntu on this Laptop my Mom is going to sell..... I mean, let's face it: NO one is going to want to assemble Linux when they turn a Laptop on, and I don't trust myself to set something like LFS up for them, either..... :( So, Xubuntu it is.....? :3
I'm a sucker for XFCE distros so Xubuntu is one of my favs, but nothing beats Linux Lite though. :3

I'm a sucker for XFCE distros so Xubuntu is one of my favs, but nothing beats Linux Lite though. :3
Yeah, XFCE is that GREAT, if not PERFECT combination of lightweight, AND snazziness..... :D I've also heard nothing but good things about Linux Lite..... :) I'll give it a spin in VirtualBox, and tell you what I think!..... :3

It looks like, as Mitt said, that Cinnamon is going that way as well..... :( Slow, unresponsive..... Man, do I need to borrow IBM's Watson just to RUN this OS.....?? :(
I agree. It seems that they're gearing more for newer PC's and not the older ones. I'm running Mate on Mint and love it. Works just fine :)

I agree. It seems that they're gearing more for newer PC's and not the older ones. I'm running Mate on Mint and love it. Works just fine :)
Mate..... Hmm.... Well, with this 8GB Laptop I have, I would've thought Mint and Cinnamon to be faster..... :( (And it IS.... Once it Logs In..... :))

I liked Mint for hardware support and I didn't think the boot speed was unreasonable. I wouldn't really consider it for a laptop though, but I think it was easy to get going on my Desktop with my Radeon card.

I liked Mint for hardware support and I didn't think the boot speed was unreasonable. I wouldn't really consider it for a laptop though, but I think it was easy to get going on my Desktop with my Radeon card.
Hmmm..... Maybe I should look into getting a good Desktop as well....... :) Heyyyy, look who changed his Profile Pic.....! :3

Yeah, XFCE is that GREAT, if not PERFECT combination of lightweight, AND snazziness..... :D I've also heard nothing but good things about Linux Lite..... :) I'll give it a spin in VirtualBox, and tell you what I think!..... :3
:D

Members online