Old Technology

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
A topic for sharing anything interesting and fun having to do with old technology(hardware, software, etc)

Freespin

The first video game I played on a dos computer.

Last edited:

Not about old computers or software kinda similar.
If to off topic and you prefer I will remove my post.

I like playing with oscilloscopes and signal generators to make different patterns / images whatever.

It does require a cd of whats known as oscilloscope music which is created using a synthesizer.

Old working oscilloscopes and signal generators can be found on ebay for not a whole lot of cash if your willing to look.

You also need to purchase leads for the oscilloscope and signal generators and also audio output cables from the audio source you will be using.

I have a lot of fun playing with oscilloscopes and signal generators.

That's cool thanks for sharing! Would that be considered as old technology or something else? If so I can change the topic name so that it's fits into it, for example "Old Technology" or something else.

Yes it can be considered old technology as my oscilloscope is from the 1970s and my signal generators are from the 1980s.

My oscilloscope.
I found it at a garage sale for $10.00 and plugged it in and it worked no probes but purchased a couple el cheapo probes off ebay.

http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/gallery/_data/i/upload/2012/11/04/20121104083723-a793bad2-xs.jpg

My signal generators.
At a local flea market I found a box of electronic test equipment and took a gamble and purchased it all for a $20.00 dollar bill.

Surprisingly most of the electronic test equipment in the box worked.

Image 1 - Global Specialties Function Generator, Model 2001

Last edited by a moderator:
The topic name has been changed to "Old Technology", that way more sub-topics can fit into the topic and more cool old technology stuff can be shared :)

This game was awesome and is still awesome!

I don't think Morse Code is used commercially anywhere anymore, but it is still popular worldwide today among a small segment of amateur radio operators (ham radio). Passing a Morse Code test was required in the US to operate on most high frequency (HF) radio bands until 2007. The video below says "SOS" was chosen to be an international distress signal in 1905 (Wikipedia says 1906), and one of the first times it was used was by RMS Titanic when it sank in 1912. The Titanic also used the more familiar distress signal at the time, "CQD" for "CQ Distress." (CQ is a general call, often interpreted as "Seek You")

I don't think Morse Code is used commercially anywhere anymore, but it is still popular worldwide today among a small segment of amateur radio operators (ham radio). Passing a Morse Code test was required in the US to operate on most high frequency (HF) radio bands until 2007. The video below says "SOS" was chosen to be an international distress signal in 1905 (Wikipedia says 1906), and one of the first times it was used was by RMS Titanic when it sank in 1912. The Titanic also used the more familiar distress signal at the time, "CQD" for "CQ Distress." (CQ is a general call, often interpreted as "Seek You")
Cool! I never knew morse code was named after a person.

Members online