Operating System Maintenance, What is necessary?

@Condobloke
I suggest to anyone interested to learn about the procedure of data deanonymization, what is aggregate data and how aggregate data can be "reverse engineered" (there is a special term for this but I forgot it).

Not sure, but I think site names could be accessible from registrars, google is registrar so it has full access to domain names registered by google.

I suppose they purchase or exchange that info from other registrars if their own database is not enough.
But there are others. Any domain name server should have a list of websites. Cloudflare comes to mind. Personally I just don't want to have anything to do with Google. I only interact with them when I must, which isn't that often.

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

But there are others. Any domain name server should have a list of websites. Cloudflare comes to mind.
Yes, there are many registrars but they don't host search engines.
google is both registrar and search engine and probably they get access to domain names of other registrars somehow.
Probably by exchanging services with other companies or just buying information.

I never understood though what prevents others companies to build a large index like google.

I never understood though what prevents others companies to build a large index like google.
No one has the market share that Google has.

No one can compete with Google.

Google owns the WWW period.

The funny part is that the Windows state of mind is mostly a state of mind and not a real thing with Windows.

True, Windows leaves garbage behind. True, the first harddiskdrives in the MS DOS and Windows 1.0 and 2.0 age were slow enough to bother with defragmentation.

But the culture among Windows users of cleaning, defragging, rebooting, and for crying out loud regular "clean installs" was and is most of the time nonsens.

To me it has the same feeling as people closing apps on their smartphone all the time. It may make you look like very computer savvy, but especially to people who are just even less understanding. And I know there are exceptions. Dad who plays around with illegal software on his Windows 95 machine in 1995 in the attic was NOT that exception.

Wow! I have a lot to read!

I've been busy tweaking my resume, submitting applications, working on my words per minute when I type and getting ready for an interview today.

I'm also in the middle of preparing a few things for a separate question in a new thread. I will be back later to read all of this.

FYI and this is related to THIS thread. Cookies from at least one website are NOT being automatically deleted when I close Firefox.

Wow! I have a lot to read!

I've been busy tweaking my resume, submitting applications, working on my words per minute when I type and getting ready for an interview today.

I'm also in the middle of preparing a few things for a separate question in a new thread. I will be back later to read all of this.

FYI and this is related to THIS thread. Cookies from at least one website are NOT being automatically deleted when I close Firefox.
I use an add-on with Firefox called Cookie Manager. It uses a light grey outline with a clear or black background. It shows you all of the cookies for your browsing session. Make sure to tell Firefox to clear everything, not just for the last hour or so. Make sure all of the check boxes are checked. Doing this will log you out of websites.

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

Members online