Solved partition of SSD Error - Resolved

Solved issue

lmuser

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

Quick Intro: I have been a Linux Mint user for about 4yrs, and absolutely enjoy linux.

Problem:

I acquired a 16tb ssd and was in the process of partitioning it using GPARTED when disaster struck. Don't ask it was an operator error...

Anyway the GPARTED stopped and now I have a 58gb ssd.

is there a process where I can get the device back to being the 16tb ssd?

I have searched google and other forums but without any luck. All they do is re-partition the existing 58gb without getting the size back to the original 16tb.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

you could try to re-format the complete drive [but that will wipe everything o it],, one way I do it with my spare drives is connect the drive via a USB/SATA cable and use the MINT USB formatter

Don't ask it was an operator error...
Was it? Maybe not. You may have been scammed.

now I have a 58gb ssd
That value is suspiciously close to what would be reported on a common 64 GB flash drive or SD card, such as that described in the link above.

I hope I'm wrong... I often am. Good luck!

That value is suspiciously close to what would be reported on a common 64 GB flash drive or SD card, such as that described in the link above.
I should have thought of that possibility, we had a long discussion on fake drive a year or 2 back:rolleyes:

Gentlemen, Thanks for your information. I didn't find the MINT USB formatter program. I did go back to the gparted program and the device shows the 58gb. Initially when I started the process my linux mint system did show the 16tb device so I don't think it was a fake. I got the ssd for $10, so not a big loss.
Thanks again

Wow 16TB for $10...that's cheap...
https://whatintech.com/largest-ssd/

1719013274283.gif

@lmuser wrote:
is there a process where I can get the device back to being the 16tb ssd?

There are quite a few commands that can show the size of a disk regardless of partitioning. In the following three commands as root, for a disk of 500GB, they all identify it correctly though two of the commands show the size in gibibytes, thus, 465GiB, which is the equivalent in gibibytes to the 500 gigabytes:
Code:
[root@min ~]# parted -l
Model: CT500P3PSSD8 (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  500MB   499MB   fat32                 boot, esp
 2      500MB   16.5GB  16.0GB  linux-swap(v1)        swap
 3      16.5GB  500GB   484GB   ext4

[root@min ~]# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 465.76 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Disk model: CT500P3PSSD8                           
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: C9FCE76E-9F30-4E86-99E4-B4BF7923D297

Device            Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1     2048    976895    974848   476M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2   976896  32227327  31250432  14.9G Linux swap
/dev/nvme0n1p3 32227328 976771071 944543744 450.4G Linux filesystem

[root@min ~]# lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sr0          11:0    1  1024M  0 rom 
nvme0n1     259:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   476M  0 part /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0  14.9G  0 part [SWAP]
└─nvme0n1p3 259:3    0 450.4G  0 part /

Thanks for the reply.
I am sure that the initial ssd was at 16tb from the fact that I was able to write to it from my windows and linux systems. they both showed the freespace as 15+tb. It was when I was attempting to re-partition the drive and without thought stopped the partitioning because I was not seeing any progress (operator malfunction) that the drive size changed to the 58GB that it now sits at. If nothing can be done, then so be it. Lesson learned.
Thanks everyone

Thanks for the reply.
I am sure that the initial ssd was at 16tb from the fact that I was able to write to it from my windows and linux systems. they both showed the freespace as 15+tb. It was when I was attempting to re-partition the drive and without thought stopped the partitioning because I was not seeing any progress (operator malfunction) that the drive size changed to the 58GB that it now sits at. If nothing can be done, then so be it. Lesson learned.
Thanks everyone
That sounds like a pernicious bit of software on the disk to show the larger capacity to disguise the tiny one. I could be mistaken, but such things are possible though I've not encountered it.

Last edited:
That sounds like a pernicious bit of software on the disk to show the larger capacity to disguise the tiny one. I could be mistaken, but such things are possible though I've not encountered it.

FAT32 has a master table with free space. You can hex-edit that master table to show any amount of free space. That is until it is reformatted then you see the actual size

HAHAHAHA - or I could maybe snap my fingers and say POOF! (good one) :D

I'll take it apart when I get time.

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the reply.
Thanks everyone
thats pretty easy to fake. Unless you wrote 16 TB of data to it and then were able to still read it, and if it really was 10 usd, then the chance of that being legit is zero.

Being as it did come from AMZ, I am going with the probability that it is a "fake" ssd.

I'm going to close this thread as I now know what you know about this type of issue.

My thanks again to everyone for sharing your knowledge and your assistance.

Take care and stay safe.

You can't really close a thread but you can edit your first post to mark the question as solved if you feel it has been resolved.

Thanks, I’ll do that
I've done it for you. You edit the first post and change the prefix in the drop-down menu.

It's all good. I've got it for you.

Being as it did come from AMZ, I am going with the probability that it is a "fake" ssd.

I don't see any $10 SSDs on Amazon...a Samsung 1TB SSD is going for $179.
I don't think Amazon sells anything fake.
1719365833796.gif