Phantom inputs without input device -> impossible to use the system

lispl-wicht

Reaction score
Credits
This issue seems to occur seldomly across operating systems but until now I only could find posts about the phenomenon not about the reason. I'm afraid it must be a problem with the hardware. Since I have no idea which device might be the reason, I only can give a general description - hoping that this might "ring a bell".

I have two seperate Debian systems installed on my computer. The problem already arises at boot time in both systems. I suppose it would also occur with Windows if I would use it as well on my computer.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. I checked that they cannot be the reason by switching them off first and then also plugging off the USB receiver.

While booting, this appears on every line seperated by spaces one after another: ^[

(Could ^[ be the character combination which is displayed, when I push the down arrow in the terminal?)

At graphical login screen constantly (I think, in the same rythm than ^[ appears at boot time) the highlighted user list entry changes in downward direction as if the Tab or the down arrow would be pressed again and again.

At Terminal login (Alt-F2, not the virtual console at the Desktop) it is not even possible to enter the user name because a lot of spaces (no ^[ ) appear again and again and only about three of them can be deleted until the next appear.

I would love to check system logs but at this moment I cannot login because of the phantom inputs.

Does anybody remember this behaviour and has a hint for me, which could be the reason?

I do not think that a reinstallation will do since the problem occurs independently in the two seperated systems installed on my computer.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I once a long time ago had a similar problem, which turned out to be bad ram. So I would check to make sure your ram is working properly first. I believe Debian has a ram checking mode at the grub screen. Good Luck.
The other thing I would do would be to post the Machine in question's vital data. make, model , GPU, CPU, ETC. This will give others trying to help a better Idea of where to look for an answer.

RAM, that is a good hint. I asked myself whether a former error message indicating a problem with the sdram drive could be connected with that issue. If you say, it turned out that it was bad RAM in your case why shouldn't it also be possible that a corrupted sd ram drive might be the cause. Before that I only didn't have a reason why I should prefer to assume it.

When I'm home I will get access via a live system. Maybe this will work if the misbehaviour is caused by the sd drive which contains both systems. At least, the computer does not misbehave while in Grub thus before accessing the SD drive. ... Or it will also occur, then I will proceed with RAM checking.

Edit: And yes, with this in mind I find more useful hints that tell me that I should have kept an eye on the ssd since the first nvme warning, lazy me ...

Last edited:
I only can give a general description - hoping that this might "ring a bell".
I know you removed your mouse/keyboard USB to test it, but the bell that is ringing to me for your problem is a stuck keyboard. You can look in BIOS/UEFI settings for anything mouse/keyboard related that might have an effect. But if nothing is found there, I would try a different keyboard, if possible. Good luck!

Members online

Latest posts