Solved Plank Dock

Solved issue

noelw

Reaction score
Credits
Morning all. Me again. This is in relation to plank dock. I have installed it but it does not open. Cairo dock does ok but i prefer Plank. As usual any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It was Vera Cinnamon, wasn't it, Noel?

What method used to install, and if at Terminal, you can scroll back and give us the command input you used.

I'll slip over to Vera, meantime (in Gecko Linux at the mo')

Wiz

Hi Wiz. I had it on an old hdd which i recently cloned to a ssd which i am now running. Before i cloned it i took it off the old hdd as i was only playing with it at the time. I reinstalled it to the ssd yesterday, all went well but it will not open up when i start it. So just as a matter of surity i uninstalled it then reinstalled it but still no go. And yes it is Vera Cinnamon. I have also noted that Pysol Solitaire will not run as well. I know there are two of them. The one i am talking about did work. Thanks

I have also noted that Pysol Solitaire will not run as well.
Right click on pysol in the menu and delete it

Sounds like pysol may have left a few necessaries behind in the cloning process.

Open Software Manager......type in Pysol....and there it is.

I would do the same with Plank.

Try what Brian has suggested first.

I'll be not far away, and can install Plank any time to see what's what and who's who, as me dear departed Mother used to say.

Brian has Vera Cinnamon, too.

Cheers, and stay warm.

I installed Plank and encountered problems.

The install was simple and easy

Configuring it was not simple and did not work for me.

Uninstalling it was also a pita....it would not leave. The 'plank' refused to leave the desktop, even after uninstalling

I ended up Using :
Code:
sudo apt purge plank
and then rebooting.
That got rid of it.

If that had not got rid of it I would have resorted to Restoring yesterday's Timeshift snapshot.

(Note: Noel, have you set up Timeshift yet ? )

Right click on pysol in the menu and delete it

Sounds like pysol may have left a few necessaries behind in the cloning process.

Open Software Manager......type in Pysol....and there it is.

I would do the same with Plank.
I did as you suggested. Both reinstalled and both no go. Totally did not set up timeshift.

It was Vera Cinnamon, wasn't it, Noel?

What method used to install, and if at Terminal, you can scroll back and give us the command input you used.

I'll slip over to Vera, meantime (in Gecko Linux at the mo')

Wiz
I installed them both from apps.

Is "apps" Software Manager?

If so, in Software Manager, for plank, did you click Launch?

Is "apps" Software Manager?

If so, in Software Manager, for plank, did you click Launch?
Not sure why I put apps. Must be my age. I will blame that anyway. Yes, software manager. And I did click launch. Rather bizarre.

That's fine.

Open a Terminal and type in and enter (and leave the Terminal open)

Code:
plank

If that works, fine.

If not, from Terminal, type in and enter

Code:
plank --preferences

and see if a popup window opens, where you can tweak the settings.

If you get a working plank out of either of those, you should also be able to
  1. run your mouse/pointing device over any icon in the plank, and then
  2. Hold down Ctrl button and
  3. Right-click and get a context-sensitive menu which will include
  4. opening Preferences.
I put mine from Centre to Fill, makes it easier to adjust.

Yahhhhhh bloody hoooooo. All good, it works. It was on autohide. I unclicked it and now it is exposed like the little devil it is. No autohide for you, come back one year. NNNEEEXXXTTT. Thanks for you help Wiz, you are a gem.

Thanks for you help Wiz, you are a gem.

Yeah, I keep telling people that, but do they listen?

But thanks to Brian, too, for the input.

If you are happy with the outcome, or after a reboot or two, or even after overnight on your Saturday, just go to your first post, choose Edit Thread and click No Prefix and choose Solved.

nYSKHvh.png

On the Timeshift issue - better to visit my thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... don't worry about reading all of it, just get the idea, and Linux Lite have a good Tute here

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#timeshift

and we can tailor-make setting it up on your system, it would be good to take a snapshot asap once you have your Plank the way you like it.

Raise a beer to me

Wiz

Yeah, I keep telling people that, but do they listen?

But thanks to Brian, too, for the input.

If you are happy with the outcome, or after a reboot or two, or even after overnight on your Saturday, just go to your first post, choose Edit Thread and click No Prefix and choose Solved.

nYSKHvh.png

On the Timeshift issue - better to visit my thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... don't worry about reading all of it, just get the idea, and Linux Lite have a good Tute here

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#timeshift

and we can tailor-make setting it up on your system, it would be good to take a snapshot asap once you have your Plank the way you like it.

Raise a beer to me

Wiz

Members online