Do you use a screensaver?

• Total voters

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
With CRT's mostly relegated to the junk heap, and there's no phosphors in modern screens, do you still still use a screensaver?

I suppose you can also add a comment about why you do or do not.

I just blank the screen on inactivity largely save a tiny amount of energy and to keep whatever room darker.

Some distros have cool screensavers so if a distro I'm using has cool screensavers I'll use them for that reason.

I do on the desktop, but not on any of the laptops [ saves some battery life ]

I don't use a screensaver, my screen just goes black after a few minutes of inactivity.

Have not used a Screen Saver for a few years not don't see the need for it with led displays.

Some distros have cool screensavers so if a distro I'm using has cool screensavers I'll use them for that reason.

Got an example? I haven't kept up on 'em, so I have zero knowledge in this department.

Lubuntu has cool screensavers.
PCLinuxOS has cool screensavers.
SparkyLinux has cool screensavers.

Not many distros offer them anymore.
You can download and install them though.

Lubuntu has cool screensavers.

Oh, I've tested all of those. It must be me (that seems the most likely) as I didn't find any of them all that interesting. But, I have seen all of 'em!

I don't test them every day. I test them once and then test them again only if they're updated in the manifest.

Just plain black screen. I do not turn my PCs off and I prefer it not to have dancing lights lighting up the room all night.

Actually, normally I also turn my monitors off, but of course this new fangled Display Port sucks terribly. When you turn the monitor off, the PC registers this and migrates any applications you have running on that specific monitor and moves them to a different monitor.

Hence, I use black screens.

Yeah, thanks for that. :(

Oh, I've tested all of those. It must be me (that seems the most likely) as I didn't find any of them all that interesting. But, I have seen all of 'em!

I don't test them every day. I test them once and then test them again only if they're updated in the manifest.
There's not but a few screensavers that are cool in any Linux distro.

Windows 98 had a few cool screensavers imo.

Linux and Windows 98 share some of the same screensavers.

When I first started using computers we had big 21 inch Sony CRT studio monitors and the resolution and picture quality was excellent.

I guess that's where I acquired my liking to us screensavers.
I know several users who still run slideshows on their desktops.

I know several users who still run slideshows on their desktops.

I may be a freak in that department. I do stick a neat image on my desktop, but it's only there for when I reboot. As a general rule, I don't see my desktop at all after that. I have no shortcuts or files on my desktop. Even if I'm using multiple monitors, there's almost always a full-screen application running on it and my desktop is unused.

I haven't cared about my actual desktop in years and years. I stick a picture of a BMW on it and call it good - usually.

If I'm in front of my desktop I'll have multiple tabs / apps open / running at all times bouncing between them.

I stick a picture of a BMW on it and call it good - usually.
If I was to stick a picture of a BMW on my desktop it would be this.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/BMW_R90S_gold_1975_r_TCE.jpg

I have a modified M6 rendering on mine. It's probably somewhere in the screenshot thread, and I'm being lazy.

When I manually lock my screen a random picture from my wallpaper collection gets set though and then after a few minutes my screen goes black.

Also, some fun trivia...

Bimmer is the car.

Beemer, or Beamer, is the motorcycle.

The bikes came first and there was a following who lovingly called them Beemers. The car developed a following and they didn't want to use the same word, so they called them Bimmers.

This is why there are things like "Bimmer World".

Quite a few folks don't know the difference, so in time people have stopped correcting folks and now you'll hear even car enthusiasts call them Beamers.

Bimmer shaft driven bikes have a great reputation, and rightfully so. The R 1250 GS is a delightful machine.

and this is the granddaddy of them all

240px-BMW_R32_vl_TCE.jpg

Different strokes for different folks. Hmm... I am pretty sure there was a TV show called Different Strokes, now that I think about it. Yeah, there was. I kinda remember the theme song, which is odd.

I used to ride a Triumph Bonneville (with a thunderbird head)

Not pretty.

Bloody power to scare

I would occasionally change the engine sprocket, this would either give a higher top speed or make the "take off' so frighteningly violent it damn near threw me off the back on the first try.

Hit 100 mph and just kept going, ....almost like it was stuck in 3rd gear.

Oh....thats right.....Screensaver comment....nearly forgot..

I dont use one.

If I am away from the pc for long enough for ne to come on that means i m out of the room and wont see it anyway...only the dog will see it and she shows no interest whatsoever !

My new bike is replacing the stupidest thing I ever bought - at least as far as vehicles go.

My last ride was a Panigale 1299S and it was far more bike than I had any business riding. I'd take off in 2nd or use launch control just to keep the front end down.

I bought it because it was a 'steal'. The previous owner bought it as their 'midlife crisis bike' and it terrified them. So, they sold after just a few hundred miles and at the end of the season.

It was huge, hot, loud, uncomfortable, too powerful, and 'twitchy'. I had no business getting on that bike.

I kept it for a few years, one of which I couldn't ride at all, and the other two I too barely put miles on it. It was a fun bike for about an hour. After that, it was just a pain in the arse to ride. I no longer own said bike.

Members online