Problems with linux-firmware

Jack_Supremo

Reaction score
Credits
Olá, sou novo como usuário de sistema baseado em Linux, atualizei meu laptop e percebi o seguinte tópico:

W: Possível falta de firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_vcn.bin para o módulo amdgpu

E por causa disso não consigo instalar mais nada através do terminal e nem consigo atualizar!

Alguém pode me dar orientações de como resolver o problema?

This is an English website, only

Please use a translator to translate your Portuguese to English

Welcome to the forums
first we need to know What is the make and full model number of your computer?
second Which distribution and build number are you trying to install,
Please make your reply in English

Bwiz

firmware update error message:

W: Possible lack of firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_vcn.bin for amdgpu module

And because of that I can't install anything else through the terminal and I can't even update!

Can anyone give me guidance on how to resolve the issue?

I use POP_OS, updated to the latest version with COSMIC

what about your computer ......
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

we seem to get quite a few and varied problems with Pop, most are due to lack of drivers
Bwiz

It's not an error per say. It's warning message triggered by rebuilding the initramfs. This happens when you upgrade kernel, firmware, etc.

Should you be concerned?
Not usually. So long as your system works then you can ignore it.
But in your case it seems to have caused a conflict. If I guess, I'd say there's a package manager derp since you say you can't install anything (so it isn't just part of a single dep chain, likely a broken dep chain locking every package up).

How to resolve/fix it anyway?
Download the entire set of firmware for your video card's architecture/series. This is found on AMD's site.
Extract the archive.
As root or with sudo, copy the .bin files to /lib/firmware/amdgpu/
As root or with sudo, run "update-initramfs".
If you're using apt, run this as root or with sudo, too "apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get --fix-missing && reboot". If not, just reboot (IDK if other package managers need maintaining. APT seems to be the only one that moans. Pacman just has to sync and it fixes everything as does xbps)

También intentaré decir en español:
Descarga el conjunto de firmware para la arquitectura/serie de tu tarjeta de video. Esto se encuentra en el sitio de AMD. Extrae el archivo. Como root o con sudo, copia los archivos .bin a /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ Como root o con sudo, ejecuta "update-initramfs". Si está usando apt, ejecute esto como root o con sudo, también "apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get --fix-missing && reboot". Si no, simplemente reinicie

Last edited:
It's not an error per say. It's warning message triggered by rebuilding the initramfs. This happens when you upgrade kernel, firmware, etc.

Should you be concerned?
Not usually. So long as your system works then you can ignore it.
But in your case it seems to have caused a conflict. If I guess, I'd say there's a package manager derp since you say you can't install anything (so it isn't just part of a single dep chain, likely a broken dep chain locking every package up).

How to resolve/fix it anyway?
Download the entire set of firmware for your video card's architecture/series. This is found on AMD's site.
Extract the archive.
As root or with sudo, copy the .bin files to /lib/firmware/amdgpu/
As root or with sudo, run "update-initramfs".
If you're using apt, run this as root or with sudo, too "apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get --fix-missing && reboot". If not, just reboot (IDK if other package managers need maintaining. APT seems to be the only one that moans. Pacman just has to sync and it fixes everything as does xbps)

También intentaré decir en español:
Descarga el conjunto de firmware para la arquitectura/serie de tu tarjeta de video. Esto se encuentra en el sitio de AMD. Extrae el archivo. Como root o con sudo, copia los archivos .bin a /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ Como root o con sudo, ejecuta "update-initramfs". Si está usando apt, ejecute esto como root o con sudo, también "apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get --fix-missing && reboot". Si no, simplemente reinicie

Dude, I didn't find the firmware on AMD's website, I know my processor is AMD Ryzen 5-3500

Do you know how I can find it? if possible send a link...thanks

If you had answered my question when I first asked, I could have spotted it [and any other possible problems], the Linux drivers for the AMD Ryzen are in the latest Kernel 5.10. or above

Dude, I didn't find the firmware on AMD's website, I know my processor is AMD Ryzen 5-3500

Do you know how I can find it? if possible send a link...thanks
I think Fanboi means your GPU not your CPU:-

To find out what GPU you have run this:

Code:
lspci | grep -i VGA

If you had answered my question when I first asked, I could have spotted it [and any other possible problems], the Linux drivers for the AMD Ryzen are in the latest Kernel 5.10. or above
Problem is he can't install a newer kernel since his package manager's stuffed. And if he installs a newer kernel manually, it might not fix the package manager isssue, which is the problem, not the firmware.

I think Fanboi means your GPU not your CPU:-

To find out what GPU you have run this:

Code:
lspci | grep -i VGA
Eeeyup. Spot on. I went and looked it up myself and it seems he's running embedded Vega 8. I'm gonna look for the bin files on AMD's site later|

Problem is he can't install a newer kernel since his package manager's stuffed. And if he installs a newer kernel manually, it might not fix the package manager isssue, which is the problem, not the firmware.
the other problem is the Pop Os, it is the most troublesome one to install especially on the latest kit, have you noticed how we get a disproportionate number of problems .?

the other problem is the Pop Os, it is the most troublesome one to install especially on the latest kit, have you noticed how we get a disproportionate number of problems .?
I checked for that firmware file on the most recent Ubuntu and it doesn't have it either. I also checked the most recent firmware tar from git.kernel.org, one from 2020 and from 2019 and that firmware file isn't either neither of the three. So I don't think this is just a PopOS issue. Unless OP actually bought a System76 system installed with PopOS because I've heard some of their hardware uses a separate repository to update the firmware.

I've heard some of their hardware uses a separate repository
The main problem as I se it many people think Pop is just another Ubuntu clone, when it is not, it is specially compiled to work with System 76 own business equipment, [bit like Big A, they try to stop companies using cheaper mass market products by limiting the driver base] @over $1000 for their basic I7 laptop im not surprised.
what dose surprise me is their top end kit now use Ryzen chips, and still we get people having problems with it.

Bwiz

I've noticed few Pop OS threads, but of them, there's always a huge pain that comes from the OS itself, not the user. I don't get it since all System76 needed to do was use a "pure" base. I think they've added as much to Ubuntu as Ubuntu added to Debian. It's like this leaning tower. So if it breaks, it breaks hard. If they'd wanted something more compatible with all the additions and modification, probably Arch would've been the best base since Arch handles "other" stuff well and if it's just a base, no reason to keep it too bleeding edge.
The only reason that most threads involve Mint is because it's the most popular OS for newcomers. Probably coz it's fairly simple, stable, and visually appealing.
Pop now reminds me of Zorin around 7 years ago: an unstable novelty. But I could be wrong. Manjaro was riddled with problems up until about the last two years, now it's my choice for gaming rigs (not that I play much modern stuff, mainly stuff on emulators).

The main problem as I se it many people think Pop is just another Ubuntu clone, when it is not, it is specially compiled to work with System 76 own business equipment
An associate of mine bought one of their laptops and installed Ubuntu on it, the only thing they had to do was activate a separate repository for installation of specific System76 firmware. The AUR even has PKGBUILDS for several System76 packages, even for the system76-firmware. If you check the up-stream url it's all available on github as opensource.
Meaning if you want to order a system from System76 you can still run any distribution you want on it. I was at one point wanting to buy a System76 system but I ended up ordering my parts here because with shipping and importing costs it would have been a lot more expensive then when ordering it locally.

Last edited:
An associate of mine bought one of their laptops and installed Ubuntu on i
not a problem as the main distributions contain 90% of the drivers needed for almost every machine the problem has always been the other way round, getting Pop to work on a non S75 machine..
still onward and upwards lets hope one of us can get Jack up and running cleanly

lets hope one of us can get Jack up and running cleanly
I think it we first need some information from OP, such as the output of the following.
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -i vga
dmesg | grep amdgpu
And the exact output the OP is getting when trying to update their system, preferably in english and not in italian.

Last edited:
An associate of mine bought one of their laptops and installed Ubuntu on it, the only thing they had to do was activate a separate repository for installation of specific System76 firmware. The AUR even has PKGBUILDS for specific System76 packages, even for the system76-firmware. If you check the up-stream url it's all available on github as opensource.
Meaning if you want to order a system from System76 you can still run any distribution you want on it. I was at one point wanting to buy a System76 system but I ended up ordering my parts here because with shipping and importing costs it would have been a lot more expensive then when ordering it locally.
Of course there are PKGBUILDs in the AUR for it. There's stuff in there for alien spacecrafts. It should be a meme: "Rule 127: If it exists, it's in the AUR."

Members online

Latest posts