Problems With WIFI Connection (RTL8723bs_nic.bin)

dry_naut

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new to Linux. I used Ubuntu years ago but hardly touched the console. I recently installed Kali Linux (2021.2 32bit Installer) on a laptop without ethernet and during the installation process it said

The missing firmware files are: rtlwifi/rtl8723bs_nic.bin

Upon trying to install Kali Linux (2021 W26 32bit) it gives the same error.

I've managed to complete the installation without the missing firmware and get into the desktop environment (on 2021.2).

When I run sudo dmesg I get

[9.308550] bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin (-2)
[9.309141] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin failed with error -2
[9.309163] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: firmware file rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin not found

I've found the firmware but I'm not sure how to import it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Connect your laptop with an ethernet cable and then install the correct firmware package.
Code:
sudo apt install firmware-realtek
Then reboot your laptop and your wifi should work.

Connect your laptop with an ethernet cable and then install the correct firmware package.

I recently installed Kali Linux (2021.2 32bit Installer) on a laptop without ethernet

Last edited:
The least you can do is reply with a normal reply instead of quote. On a computer that does have an internet connection download rtl8723bs_fw.bin from here. Then copy it to a flash drive, stick it into your laptop and copy the file to this directory /lib/firmware/rtl_bt and then reboot. You should then have a working wireless adapter then I would also install the package using apt so that you get updates when there are updates available.
Code:
sudo apt install firmware-realtek
Reboot again to be sure your wireless adapter is still working.

Last edited:
Then copy it to a flash drive, stick it into your laptop and copy the file to this directory /lib/firmware/rtl_bt and then reboot.

How do I copy the file into the /lib/firmware/rtl_bt directory using the console?

Code:
sudo cp /source/location/rtl8723bs_fw.bin  /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin

/source/location/ was an example, you have to replace that with the location where you mounted your flash drive with the downloaded file(rtl8723bs_fw.bin).

/source/location/ was an example, you have to replace that with the location where you mounted your flash drive with the downloaded file(rtl8723bs_fw.bin).
When I input df -h I don't see my USB device. I looked for it in dmesg and I think the device path would be /dev/sda1/. I tried substituting /source/location/ with /dev/sda1/ and got the same error from before. It does recognize /dev/sda1/ as being a path when I try
Code:
sudo cp /dev/sda1/
It says
Code:
cp: missing destination file operand after '/dev/sda1/'

Did you copy the file to your usb flash drive? Plug into your laptop and share the output of the following.
Code:
lsusb

Code:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 13fe:3e00 Kingston Technology Company Inc. Flash Drive

And now share the output of the following.
Code:
lsblk

IMG_20210706_085134__01.jpg

Share the output of the following.
Code:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
ls /mnt

Code:
sudo cp /mnt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin
Then reboot your system.

I get
Code:
cp: cannot create regular file '/lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin': No such file or directory

Share the output of the following.
Code:
ls -l  /lib/firmware | grep rtl_bt

I inputted it twice and both times I did not get an output. It put me on a new blank line.

Members online