Qtile

The following resources are available at your disposal:
Mint does not have a method to accept package requests directly like Ubuntu, but having the package incorporated into Debian will likely, in due time, result in the package being incorporated into Mint.

Last edited:
Getting a Sponsor and Uploading to Debian

If you are not an accepted Debian Developer, you cannot upload to the Debian archive directly. You have to package your product and to ask for a sponsor on the Debian-mentors mailing list. A sponsor is a (generally) seasoned Debian developer who will check your packages and give you hints and support until he thinks they are ready to be accepted into Debian. Then he will upload them and they will be added to Debian. Once you've proved that you are able to create proper new packages and that you are willing to maintain them, you can also become a Debian developer, and maybe one day sponsor as well. However, this out of the scope of this document; if you are interested, you can read more about this subject in the Debian Developer's Reference.
A. Special Cases
Special Notes for Packages Outside Debian

If your package is not in Debian, and especially if it is closed-source or its license doesn't allow the redistribution of modified sources, you should pay special care to a few subtleties of packaging to make it as flexible as possible.
The Three Distributions of Debian

Debian is divided into three distributions: stable, testing and unstable. Whenever a new package is added, or an existing package is updated, it goes into unstable. Once it has been in unstable for ten days without revealing serious bugs, it automatically moves into testing. When the release manager decides it's time for a new release, he declares the testing distribution as frozen. This means that no new packages can be added, and no existing ones may be updated. Only outstanding bugs may be fixed. Once he thinks that testing is ready to be released, it becomes stable and a new testing distribution is added. Notice that the distributions are also referred to as branches.

This means that the three distributions (but especially unstable and stable) are sometimes very different, and that they may (and generally will) contain a different set of packages and different versions of the same packages. Thus a single package may not be installable on all distributions, or might not work on all of them. This is no problem when a package is in Debian, as it will automatically move from unstable into testing and finally together with the other packages it depends on, but it certainly is a problem for packages outside Debian.

As unstable and testing change very frequently (daily), it is very difficult to keep up with them, especially since not all users do a daily upgrade of all packages, but may upgrade only some the packages. It is thus best to target stable, but keeping a few things in mind to ease the installation on the other distributions.

For Debian have a look here - https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/distribute-deb/distribute-deb.html#adding-packages-to-debian

Mint uses Ubuntu repositories along with their own but I would imagine they have similar policies - unless it is LMDE which is Debian

Reactions: Zev
I tried pip install qtile and it supposedly loaded. But I haven't been able to get qtile to run. It doesn't have an entry in /usr/share/xsessions so I created qtile.desktop with the appropriate contents. Logged out of the window manager I'm using (i3) but qtile doesn't show in the login window. I tried pip uninstall qtile but it doesn't seem to remove much. Did pip install qtile again but no change. Qtile won't run. Am I leaving something out? I'm running Linux Mint 21.1. Fresh install.

I have followed what DT says before but there's still no listing for qtile in the login screen. I even manually created /usr/share/xsessions/qtile.desktop that should have created the qtile entry in the login screen. I have included all the dependencies as required

Where did the main qtile executable install to? As it's a Python script - it will be an executable python script.

Sometimes pip installs executables to places like ~/.local/bin/ which might not be on $PATH.
In which case, you'd need to add ~/.local/bin/ to $PATH.
But before doing that - it's best to check/verify the path that qtile installed to.

I'd recommend running the following commands:
Bash:
sudo updatedb
To rebuild the database used by the locate command.
And then use:
Bash:
locate qtile
And that will list any files/directories that contain the word qtile - from the list of files and directories, you should be able to identify where the actual main script was installed to.
If that directory is NOT in the current $PATH, then it will need to be added.

Qtile is located a
/home/richard/.local/bin/qtile
I did include the path to /home/richard/.local/bin in .bashrc
I'm really stumped. I had qtile working before I had to reinsatll Linux Mint 21.1 so I know it's possible.

Members online