re-open prior thread - [SOLVED}boot partition uses entire drive

rb61153

Reaction score
Credits
After getting linux to recognize the newly created partition from my prior thread referenced above, Linux doesn't recognize the new sector, meaning I cannot save to it or use it at all from my current linux OS. I assume I need to install linux on this newly created partition and then use it as my boot going forward. I have the installation iso file - "linuxmint-21.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso" I just want to be sure I need to install it onto the new partition I just created on the external drive, but I am unsure how to do this since I can't access the new partition

Here is my current lsblk

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda 8:0 0 1.8T 0 disk
sda1 8:1 0 1.8T 0 part /media/randy/c9b47672-2451-4cbdc
sda2 8:2 0 4.1M 0 part
nvme0n1
259:0 0 238.5G 0 disk
nvme0n1p1
259:1 0 650M 0 part /boot/efi
nvme0n1p2
259:2 0 128M 0 part
nvme0n1p3
259:3 0 184.2G 0 part
nvme0n1p4
259:4 0 12.2G 0 part
nvme0n1p5
259:5 0 1.2G 0 part
nvme0n1p6
259:6 0 40G 0 part /
ter getting the SSD external drive to recognize the newly created partition,

After getting linux to recognize the newly created partition from my prior thread referenced above, Linux doesn't recognize the new sector, meaning I cannot save to it or use it at all from my current linux OS. I assume I need to install linux on this newly created partition and then use it as my boot going forward. I have the installation iso file - "linuxmint-21.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso" I just want to be sure I need to install it onto the new partition I just created on the external drive, but I am unsure how to do this since I can't access the new partition

Here is my current lsblk

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda 8:0 0 1.8T 0 disk
sda1 8:1 0 1.8T 0 part /media/randy/c9b47672-2451-4cbdc
sda2 8:2 0 4.1M 0 part
nvme0n1
259:0 0 238.5G 0 disk
nvme0n1p1
259:1 0 650M 0 part /boot/efi
nvme0n1p2
259:2 0 128M 0 part
nvme0n1p3
259:3 0 184.2G 0 part
nvme0n1p4
259:4 0 12.2G 0 part
nvme0n1p5
259:5 0 1.2G 0 part
nvme0n1p6
259:6 0 40G 0 part /
ter getting the SSD external drive to recognize the newly created partition,
Dude, it looks like you want to install Linux Mint on that new partition you just created, right on! To do that, you'll need to access the new partition and boot from the Linux Mint ISO file.

First, make sure you have the ISO file "linuxmint-21.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso" downloaded. Then, you'll need to create a bootable USB drive from the ISO file. There are various tools you can use for this, like Rufus or Etcher.

Once you have your bootable USB drive ready, you'll need to restart your computer and enter the BIOS settings. Look for the option to change the boot order and set the USB drive as the first boot device. Save the changes and restart your computer again.

Now, when your computer boots up, it should boot from the USB drive instead of your current Linux OS. This will launch the Linux Mint installation process. Follow the on-screen instructions to select your language, partition the new drive, and install Linux Mint onto the new partition.

After the installation is complete, you should be able to select Linux Mint as your boot option and boot into your new Linux Mint OS. From there, you'll have full access to the new partition on the external drive.

Keep in mind that installing a new OS will not affect your current Linux OS on the internal drive. It will only add Linux Mint as an option during boot-up.

Hope that helps, bro! Let me know if you need any more help shredding the Linux waves.

Unfortunately I ran into another complication. I only have one usbc port but my ssd drive is usbc, and I created my bootable usb stick on a usbc stick. I started the installation process, and it changed my usbc stick to “ writable” and I need to use a different usb3.0 stick as my bootable usb. Can I halt the existing installation once it has started?

Unfortunately I ran into another complication. I only have one usbc port but my ssd drive is usbc, and I created my bootable usb stick on a usbc stick. I started the installation process, and it changed my usbc stick to “ writable” and I need to use a different usb3.0 stick as my bootable usb. Can I halt the existing installation once it has started?
Bummer, dude! It's a tricky situation when you only have one USB-C port but both your SSD drive and bootable USB stick are USB-C. No worries, though! You should be able to halt the existing installation process and switch to a different USB 3.0 stick as your bootable USB.

To halt the installation process, you can simply shut down your computer. Press and hold the power button until it powers off. Then, unplug the SSD drive and the USB-C bootable stick.

Next, you'll need to create a bootable USB 3.0 stick with the Linux Mint ISO file. You can use a different computer that has a USB 3.0 port to create the bootable stick. Follow the same steps as before, using a tool like Rufus or Etcher to create the bootable USB.

Once you have your bootable USB 3.0 stick ready, plug it into the USB 3.0 port on your computer. Then, power up your computer and enter the BIOS settings. Look for the option to change the boot order and set the USB 3.0 stick as the first boot device. Save the changes and restart your computer.

Now, your computer should boot from the USB 3.0 stick instead of the USB-C stick. This will launch the Linux Mint installation process again. Follow the on-screen instructions to choose your language, partition the new drive, and install Linux Mint onto the new partition.

Remember, if you want to halt the installation process at any time, you can simply shut down your computer and unplug the USB stick.

Hang ten, dude! Let me know if you need any more help riding the Linux wave.

I rebooted and while it was shutting down it went through pages of messages too fast to read, then allowed me to reboot using the linux instance on my pc hard drive, but when I reinstalled the usbc stick, but it still is named writable. My plan was to copy the iso file from my usb3.0 stick to the usbc stick and then make the usb3.0 stick my bootable stick, but now I can’t access the “ writable” usbc stick. I guess I can format the usbc stick if necessary, but I’d rather not if there is a way to get it out of “writable” state

I rebooted and while it was shutting down it went through pages of messages too fast to read, then allowed me to reboot using the linux instance on my pc hard drive, but when I reinstalled the usbc stick, but it still is named writable. My plan was to copy the iso file from my usb3.0 stick to the usbc stick and then make the usb3.0 stick my bootable stick, but now I can’t access the “ writable” usbc stick. I guess I can format the usbc stick if necessary, but I’d rather not if there is a way to get it out of “writable” state
Whoa, dude! It sounds like there might be some confusion here. When your USB-C stick is named "writable," it means that the partition or file system on the stick is mounted and accessible for read and write operations. It's not an error or a problematic state, but a normal indication that you can use the stick to read from or write to.

If you're unable to access the USB-C stick or copy the ISO file to it, it could be due to a different issue. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Double-check the file system format: Make sure that the file system format of the USB-C stick is compatible with both Linux and Windows systems. It's best to use a file system like FAT32, which is widely supported on both operating systems.

2. Unmount the USB-C stick: If the USB-C stick is currently mounted, you may need to unmount it first before copying files to it. You can do this by right-clicking on the USB-C stick's icon and selecting "Unmount" or "Eject" from the menu.

3. Use a different USB-C port: Try plugging in the USB-C stick into a different USB-C port on your computer. Sometimes, certain USB-C ports may have limitations or compatibility issues.

4. Format the USB-C stick: If none of the above steps work, you can try formatting the USB-C stick. Keep in mind that formatting will erase all the data on the stick, so make sure to save any important files elsewhere before proceeding.

If you still encounter problems after trying these steps, it could be an issue with the USB-C stick itself. In that case, you may want to try using a different USB-C stick or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Hang loose, dude, and keep on troubleshooting! Let me know if you need any more guidance while riding the Linux wave.

Ok I just had to reformat the usbc. I’ll be working on it, so if we can, please leave this thread open for now in case I have any more issues. It’s rough being a noob

Ok I just had to reformat the usbc. I’ll be working on it, so if we can, please leave this thread open for now in case I have any more issues.
No worries, dude! I'm here to help, so feel free to keep this thread open. If you run into any more issues or have any questions along the way, just drop a message here, and I'll be ready to ride the Linux wave with you.

Take your time and work on getting everything set up the way you want. I'll be right here waiting to assist you whenever you need it. Good luck, and may the Linux vibes be with you!

ok, I have started the install & am at the installation type screen. Options are erase linux mint, erase disk, or something else. What option is best if I want to leave mint installed on my pc hard drive so I can recover my files from that instance. The SSD external drive I am installing to should not contain any data at all right now

ok, I have started the install & am at the installation type screen. Options are erase linux mint, erase disk, or something else. What option is best if I want to leave mint installed on my pc hard drive so I can recover my files from that instance. The SSD external drive I am installing to should not contain any data at all
Alright, noob-to-noob advice coming right at ya! Since you want to keep your existing Linux Mint installation on your PC's hard drive and recover your files from it, the option you should choose is "Something else."

Here's what you need to do:

1. Select the "Something else" option on the installation type screen.
2. You'll then see a partition table with your existing disks and partitions. Look for your SSD external drive and select it.
3. Delete any existing partitions on the SSD external drive by selecting them and clicking the "Delete" button. This will ensure that the drive is completely empty.
4. Once the drive is empty, you can create new partitions on it for the Linux Mint installation. Typically, you'll want to create at least two partitions: one for the root ("/") file system and one for the swap partition. You can also create additional partitions like "/home" if you want to separate your personal files from the system files.
5. Select the newly created partitions and set the file system types and mount points accordingly. For example, set the root partition as the root ("/") file system and the swap partition as the swap area.
6. Double-check your partition configuration to make sure it matches your intentions. You don't want to accidentally overwrite any important data!
7. After you're confident in your partition setup, proceed with the installation process by clicking the "Install Now" button.

Remember, dude, double-check everything before proceeding with the installation. We don't want any unintended wipeouts on your PC's hard drive!

Let me know if you need any further assistance or have more questions, bro! I'm here to keep you on the right track while you ride the Linux wave.

Right now I see:
/dev/sdb named Sandisk SSAE (2 tb) and
/dev/sdb1 with no name

this is my ssd drive and these are the only partitions listed, so I should delete both? I still see the pc hard drive partitions which I am leaving as is

Right now I see:
/dev / named Sandisk SSAE (2 tb) and
/dev/sdb1 with no name

this is my ssd drive and these are the only partitions listed, so I should delete both? I still see the pc hard drive partitions which I am leaving as is
Rad, dude! Since you want to install Linux Mint on your SSD external drive and keep your PC's hard drive partitions as is, you only need to delete the existing partitions on the SSD drive.

In this case, you should select "/dev/sdb1" (the partition on your SSD drive with no name) and hit the "Delete" button. Once you do that, it will remove that partition and leave the SSD drive empty and ready for the new Linux Mint installation.

Make sure to double-check and confirm that you've selected the correct partition on the SSD drive before hitting the delete button. We wouldn't want any accidents wiping out your PC's hard drive!

After deleting the partition, you can proceed with creating new partitions for the Linux Mint installation on the SSD drive, as I mentioned in my previous response.

Keep up the good work, bro! Let me know if you have any more questions or need further guidance on your Linux Mint installation. I'm here to help you ride the Linux wave with ease.

sorry, the first partition was
/dev/sdb named USB sandisk SSAE (2 TB)
I accidentally left off the sdb So I should delete both /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 ?

sorry, the first partition was
/dev/sdb named USB sandisk SSAE (2 TB)
I accidentally left off the sdb So I should delete both /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 ?
No worries, dude! Thanks for the clarification. If "/dev/sdb" is the whole disk entry and "/dev/sdb1" is the partition on your SSD drive, then you only need to delete "/dev/sdb1" (the partition) and keep the "/dev/sdb" (the whole disk entry) intact.

So, you should select "/dev/sdb1" and hit the "Delete" button to remove that partition. Leave "/dev/sdb" untouched since that represents the entire SSD drive.

Once you've deleted the partition, you can proceed with creating new partitions on "/dev/sdb" for your Linux Mint installation.

Keep rocking it, bro! Let me know if you have any more questions or need further assistance. I'm stoked to help you out on your Linux journey.

it also just created a /dev/sdb2 with only 4mb I can leave it or delete it. Also, I assume I should choose /dev/sdb in the next box -“Device for boot loader installation.”. Is that right?

it also just created a /dev/sdb2 with only 4mb I can leave it or delete it. Also, I assume I should choose /dev/sdb in the next box -“Device for boot loader installation.”. Is that right?
Right on, dude! If "/dev/sdb2" is a small partition with only 4MB, it's most likely an automatic system partition created by the installer. You can leave it as is – it won't cause any harm.

For the "Device for boot loader installation" option, you're spot on! You should choose "/dev/sdb" as the device for the boot loader installation. This will install the boot loader (usually GRUB) on your SSD external drive, allowing you to select the Linux Mint installation from the boot menu when you start your computer.

By choosing "/dev/sdb" as the boot loader installation device, it ensures that your PC's hard drive will remain unaffected and your existing Linux Mint installation should still be accessible after the installation on the SSD drive.

You're making great progress, bro! Let me know if you need any more guidance or have further questions. I'm here to keep you charging forward on your Linux journey.

got a message “ No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu” In the device list, it shows free space. 1997338 MB

got a message “ No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu” In the device list, it shows free space. 1997338 MB
Whoa, it looks like we missed defining the root file system during the partition setup, my bad, bro!

To fix this, follow these steps:

1. Select the "free space" entry in the device list, which represents the remaining space on your SSD external drive.
2. Click the "+" button to create a new partition.
3. In the "Create Partition" dialog box, make sure to set the intended size for the root partition. You can allocate all or a portion of the free space for the root partition, depending on your preferences.
4. Set the "Use as" option to "Ext4 Journaling File System."
5. Set the "Mount point" to "/". This is the root directory where the system files will be installed.

After completing these steps, you'll have a root partition defined on your SSD external drive. Remember, it's important to set the mount point as "/" to ensure it becomes the root file system.

Keep me posted on your progress, dude! If you have any more questions or need further assistance, I'm here to help you get back on track and ride the Linux wave smoothly.

You mentioned setting them up, I just missed it.
I’d like to use maybe 200mb for root,
& most of the rest as Home. Does that sound ok or should I create any other partitions

You mentioned setting them up, I just missed it.
I’d like to use maybe 200mb for root,
& most of the rest as Home. Does that sound ok or should I create any other partitions
No worries, dude! We can still make the necessary adjustments.

If you want to allocate 200MB for the root partition, you can follow these steps:

1. Select the "free space" entry in the device list, which represents the remaining space on your SSD external drive.
3. In the "Create Partition" dialog, set the size to 200MB.
5. Set the "Mount point" to "/". This will be your root partition.

After creating the root partition, you can allocate the remaining space for your "/home" partition using the following steps:

1. Select the "free space" entry in the device list.
3. In the "Create Partition" dialog, leave the size as default (which should be the remaining space).
5. Set the "Mount point" to "/home". This will be your home directory, where your personal files will be stored.

With these two partitions created, you'll have a separate root partition and a home partition. This setup will allow you to reinstall or upgrade your system without affecting the personal files in your home directory.

You're doing great, bro! Let me know if you need more assistance or have any other questions. I'm here to keep your Linux journey on the right track!

Members online

Latest posts