Remember LindowsOS?

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Well, now you do!

People without a Walmart may not remember this, as they may have not seen it.

I had lindows I installed to check out. The premise was cool especially with the software installed. I recall if you had to re-install it would also reinstall your software. In hind sight it was not that good but back then I didn't know better I was new to Knoppix

I remember it. But never used it.

I remember it. But never used it.

Me too. I almost bought one back in the day, but I ended up boycotting Walmart for reasons.

Linspire still exists. I haven't actually tried that. I should.

LOL Remember but never used. im surprised walfart has not tried it again.

I like Knoppix. I've had a reasonably up-to-date version on a flash-drive for years.......the sheer quantity of stuff KK manages to cram into it is unreal. Including Compiz.....and the amazing rotating desktop cube! :p

It was part of the original inspiration for Puppy, of course....

Mike. :)

I like Knoppix. I've had a reasonably up-to-date version on a flash-drive for years.......the sheer quantity of stuff KK manages to cram into it is unreal. Including Compiz.....and the amazing rotating desktop cube! :p

It was part of the original inspiration for Puppy, of course....

Mike. :)
I haven't played with knoppix in years but remember it fondly back 10 years or so ago. Always kept it handy.

Knoppix once ate my bootloader.

To this day, I have no idea how. At no point did I tell Knoppix to touch the HDD. (This was back in the day.)

I was done playing with Linux in the live environment so I rebooted only to find my MBR had gone missing. My pleasure level was pretty low. I did not give up on Linux, though I wasn't a full-time user back then.

I want to say it was early XP days when this happened. At the time, I didn't know you could repair the MBR and so it meant a reinstall, not entirely unlike what I'm doing now.

This is off topic, so I'll digress!

I have various bits of data backed up. I also have other computers I could go get data from. This is important because I misfired a dd command and hosed my OS. There was no recovery from that except to restore from backups.

I've had those backups for years. This means hundreds of tabs are open and there are a thousand useless things installed with tens of thousands of files that just clutter the system.

As I was restoring from some backups, I changed my mind. I did a clean install. It's not completely clean. I'm still logged into my browser and I migrated my passwords. Other than that, it's pretty much a new OS.

It didn't take too long to become a useful (to me) OS. I mostly used Firefox to download a different browser but then I decided I'd use Firefox for a subset of browser tasks.

Ah well... I hadn't had enough drama or change in my computer habits. Mixing things up for a while is nice.

IF anybody's interested in the original Lindows itself, you can still download the final v2, v3 and v4 release ISOs. Remember; back in the day, the "LiveCD" premise didn't yet exist.....so these ISOs are purely an installer. Nothing else; that's your lot. That's all you get....

You can find 'em here:-

https://sourceforge.net/projects/archiveos/files/l/lindows/

I'm not entirely clear on whether you can only install this on older hardware, but.......I suspect it would factor into the equation, somewhere along the line. (I tried installing the Ubuntu LiveCD of their very first release, "Warty Warthog", onto my modern HP Pavilion desktop rig.....and it completely flopped. Failed magnificently, in fact; it was looking for BIOS stuff that already hadn't existed for several years at the time this rig was built with its UEFI!)

Mike. ;)

@KGIII :-

That's one of the best things about the way I now have Puppy working. You can't hose any of your browsers or apps, 'cos absolutely everything is external to the system itself. And I have scripts that link/"install" all my Menu entries & launchers for me.....which takes but a few shakes of a gopher's tail. Another script installs what few system utilities I actually install via package management, along with cursors, icons, themes, wallpapers, etc, etc.

A "quick'n'dirty" install of our Pup takes - at worst - about 5 minutes. 2-3 when all goes well. So I'm up-and-running again in less than 15 minutes.....

Mike. :p

absolutely everything is external to the system itself.

Yup. Anything of importance is backed up with redundancy. I lost nothing of importance. It's kind of fun to 'start over'. I haven't done that in ages. I did cheat and keep some familiar things to save time. Otherwise, it is pretty much all new.

Linspire, Xandros, Knoppix, Kanotix, sidux, Debian; was my Linux journey more or less.
With short trips with OpenSuse, Fedora, Puppy.

I'm not entirely clear on whether you can only install this on older hardware, but.......I
I started with Knoppix 6.7. Went going on with 7.6. It was very well as replacement, when XP did need an other mainbord. Took some months, from different reasons.

In the meanwhile 9.1 putted to a stick, wow: how fast already there, on USB 2.0.
(To hd as ssd ..., let me see.)

But also Linux Mint Mate, because of it is said as reliable, and the near XP look.
Oh, very well with old hardware ... (2007 Laptop), also the 9.1 on stick.

The reason my comment now is: Knoppix 9.3 I could receive a download link, because it was only available in the Magazine or to buy (from 9.2 beginning this), for little money, already on stick.
Here the link, if from interesst; I just do not know, where to post to a probably better place:
ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Software/OS/knoppix_v9.3_linuxmag_06_22.iso
(source: https://www.cc-community.net/threads/knoppix-9-3-download-boot-iso-linux-live-os-aus-6_2022.121643/)
(Where I received it from: https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56813&p=187734#p187734)

Members online