Server restart and change disk mount name

soolan

Reaction score
Credits
When I restarted the server, my disk, which was under sdb, was listed as mpathb under sda. Why did this happen?

I thought that the names in the form of mpath would be listed when the disk was connected from external storage.

What can I do to avoid making this call when I want to connect my disks when I restart my server?

Code:
sda      mpath_member       11111111-2222-3333-4444-dddddddddd
 └─mpathb ext4                  11111111-2222-3333-4444-ddddddddddd /soolean

might be helpful to know what distro and version this is along with what the hardware mostly the drives are. are they ssd, hdd, M2 and how are they being mounted? is this fstab? have you made any changes or updates?

When you do not let us know what you are using it is like asking a mechanic "Why is my car stalling?"

might be helpful to know what distro and version this is along with what the hardware mostly the drives are. are they ssd, hdd, M2 and how are they being mounted? is this fstab? have you made any changes or updates?

When you do not let us know what you are using it is like asking a mechanic "Why is my car stalling?"
right I keep forgetting to add this information I will be more careful when opening a topic

OS= Oracle Linux 8.6

HP gen 9 server

22 TB SAS HDD and 10 TB mounted from IBM storage

is the mount being done from something you wrote or is the mount done from fstab?

With mpath, normally you have several connections/paths to the same disk on different storage devices, it's not so much the /dev/sd[a-z] that matters but the mpath device name. Which is if I remember correctly is the wan id of the device(or something with the lun id) or whatever alias you have configured for it. Either way it should be mapped to a name under /dev/mapper and that it will point to the correct local device.

In you case it looks like you configured your mpath device to be called "mpathb", so that you would just use /dev/mapper/mpathb to use it on the system and not /dev/sda or /dev/sdb. Otherwise something on the storage end might have changed, ask whoever manages the storage devices. Since this sounds like it's for your job, I would discuss this with your colleagues since they know the whole situation of the storage setup and anything else that my be specific to your work setup.

Last edited:

Members online