Sharing File and folder.

Chrisgayle

Reaction score
Credits
As a new linux user I started to learn share files and folder (shared directory) from linux (Ubuntu).
I found there are many ways I can do it like, SCP, RSYNC, SIMPLE HTTP SERVER, & SAMBA.
But I find these are little outdated so I find something new in internet:- "WEB BASED FILE BROWSER"
I like this system access a file manager (file browser) from browser to access shared directory from any where from any OS, I also find one tool "File Browser"
https://filebrowser.org/

But I face one problem this tool need internet even in lan network too. So is there any file browser which I can use in lan network without internet and also in internet too.

I found there are many ways I can do it like, SCP, RSYNC, SIMPLE HTTP SERVER, & SAMBA.
But I find these are little outdated
They are not outdated since they still do their job well, it could be that you just don't like command-line tools. I haven't used it but it looks like you can just run that on a system on your lan by giving it range out your lan range. Have a look here.
At the step "How to Configure Filebrowser", instead of setting a public ip you just set an available ip from you lan and make sure you open the port in the firewall of the system you plan on running it.

I haven't used it but it looks like you can just run that on a system on your lan by giving it range out your lan range. Have a look here.
At the step "How to Configure Filebrowser", instead of setting a public ip you just set an available ip from you lan and make sure you open the port in the firewall of the system you plan on running it.
Thanks sir @f33dm3bits , I am gonna check it.
But I think if I did it then I can't access the filebrowser from internet then it limited to lan only. Still I am gonna try this setting.

Thanks sir @f33dm3bits , I am gonna check it.
But I think if I did it then I can't access the filebrowser from internet then it limited to lan only. Still I am gonna try this setting.
From what I saw in that how to you can can configure that to browse files on your lan and on the internet, if you want to view your files from the internet you would have to use a public ip and do port forwarding. I don't recommend you make that available from the internet. It's better to use something like Dropbox, Gdrive or Onedrive if you want to access your files from anywhere.

From what I saw in that how to you can can configure that to browse files on your lan and on the internet, if you want to view your files from the internet you would have to use a public ip and do port forwarding. I don't recommend you make that available from the internet. It's better to use something like Dropbox, Gdrive or Onedrive if you want to access your files from anywhere.
Yes sir @f33dm3bits you are right, right now I don't need data transfer from internet my lan devices is my main priority right now.

Yes sir @f33dm3bits you are right, right now I don't need data transfer from internet my lan devices is my main priority right now.
If you have an account for one of the ones I mentioned, you can just have it mounted on a location your desktop and have it automatically do a sync of all the files to the location where you have that mounted. That way when you are away from home, you can just log into that and access your files.

If you have an account for one of the ones I mentioned, you can just have it mounted on a location your desktop and have it automatically do a sync of all the files to the location where you have that mounted. That way when you are away from home, you can just log into that and access your files.
Thanks for help sir @f33dm3bits
But I am really sorry I didn't understand this what you try to explain.
I know I am amateur sorry.

Nvm it would be too complicated to explain what I meant. What DE(desktop environment) are you using and do you have Gdrive, Onedrive or Dropbox?

Last edited:
Default GUI comes in ubuntu 22. I have these above mentioned drives too.

Sir are you saying about rclone like this:
Default GUI of Ubuntu is Gnome and Gnome has a built in function for online accounts, including Google so you should be able to connect to Gdrive without installing anything.

Default GUI of Ubuntu is Gnome and Gnome has a built in function for online accounts, including Google so you should be able to connect to Gdrive without installing anything.
Wow this one is like Android, thanks sir I will use this instead of rclone.

I have a question this account synchronisation system with drives like google is only available in gnome which I use or other desktop environment has this option too like KDE, i3, hyprland

have a question this account synchronisation system with drives like google is only available in gnome which I use or other desktop environment has this option too like KDE, i3, hyprland
It's available in KDE Plasma
For tiling window managers you can install whatever you want for that, that's the idea of having a tiling window manager setup, you choose the applications you want to use.

AFAIK, the ability to browse the "local" file-system has been built-in to most browsers ever since the days when NetScape Navigator was morphing into early Firefox. It's one of the basic principles underpinning file-manipulation in Linux - "everything is a file" - and is why things like SimpleHTTPServer work as well as they do....

I could of course be way out here, but I don't think I'm so far wrong.

Mike. ;)

Members online