Sound stopped working after reboot.

pressy03

Reaction score
Credits
My hardware is audio-Technica at2100x-USB

I'm new to Ubuntu and everything was fine until i restarted (I haven't restarted for a long time).

So far I've sudo apt install --reinstall pulseaudio alsa-base pulseaudio-utils libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-plugins
tried: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure

now:

presian@presian-ubuntu:~$ pulseaudio
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

presian@presian-ubuntu:~$ alsamixer
ALSA lib confmisc.c:855:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_inum returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:422:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1334:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5701:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib control.c:1528:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

pavucontrol:
1711306439241.png

G'day pressy03, Welcome to Linux.org

Do you have Timeshift set up ?

(I haven't restarted for a long time).
How long ?

Is your system up to date ?

specs may be helpful....make and model and Ubuntu?, version etc

Looks like the daemon is running but it's functionality is failing.

You could try to stop pulseaudio with the systemctl and then restart it. See link below.

If that fails you could install PipeWire.

Going into your Timeshift snapshots is certainly an option as well.:)
PipeWire is running and alsamixer is giving no error but still can't detect the headphones/mic

again....is your system up to date ?

How long since you ran updates?

At that point I've spent about 15+ hours trying to fix it and I'll rather install fresh Ubuntu or maybe Mint

You may have better response with Linux Mint 21.3

PipeWire is running and alsamixer is giving no error but still can't detect the headphones/mic

alsamixer is giving no error
In terminal it should like this......note that the first arrow on left side points to a MM.....that means that is turned OFF....click M on your keyboard will turn it ON

The second arrow points to a 00.....that is turned on

1711309534060.png

• Use the right and left arrow keys to navigate through the sliders.
  • At the bottom of each slider you see either 00 or MM. Toggle these with the M key. MM means muted, 00 is enabled.
  • Use the up and down arrow keys or the Page Up/Page Down keys to control the sliders. Page Up/Page Down move the sliders in increments of five, and the End key resets to zero. When there are two channels controlled by one slider, Q increases the left channel and Z decreases. E increases the right channel, and C decreases.
  • Press F2 to see all the system information on your sound cards. If you have more than one sound card press F6 to display a sound card chooser.

Raising up those volumes in Alsa Mixer always worked for me.

I can understand why you would want to perform a fresh installation. BTDT--

At that point I've spent about 15+ hours trying to fix it and I'll rather install fresh Ubuntu or maybe Mint
I ran Linux Mint for many years (10 +) and had complete success with each installation.

Members online