Subnet /16 , mask 255.255.0.0 --- will solve my local network needs ?

RenatoSeres

Reaction score
Credits
Hello colleagues!

On my local network I'm using the address 192.168.0.x
with mask 255.255.255.0
It gives me 256 addresses and I need to change as I already have 200 hosts on my network (servers, desktops and cell phones that need to be on the same network subnet)

I don't want to use IPV6 yet because I have some old software
that do not work with IPv6 address

I've read RFC 1918 on private addresses and I'm thinking about using:
Subnet / 16
Mask 255.255.0.0
65534 hosts available
Address from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.254
256 in Class C (what does 256 in Class C mean?)

Is it a good option or do you advise me to use another subnet mask?

Using the /16 mask 255.255.0.0 will I have a problem with the Internet?
All addresses will remain private, correct?
Will I have any other problems using this subnet mask?

Another option would be to use some VLANs
(but I need new switches with VLAN feature)

What do you advise me?

Origins:
RFC 1918:
Subnet cheat sheet:

Thanks,

Renato

Is it a good option or do you advise me to use another subnet mask?
Wow, do you expect to jump from 200 hosts to over 65,000? Your proposal seems like overkill. Why not use /23 (255.255.254.0) netmask to give you 512 hosts instead? Or /22 (255.255.252.0) to give you 1024 hosts? Here is a nice subnet calculator that may help.

Last edited:
Hi Stan
Thank you for your answer.
The local network of the company it's increasing very fast.
If I limit to 512 hosts , in a few time I will have to change all the hosts subnet mask again (via DHCP)

Do you see any problem I'm going to face if I use /16 (192.168.0.0/16) in my local network ?

Any conflict with internet address ?

Thank you again.

No, there shouldn't be any internet conflict because you are staying within the designated "private network" allocation, but I don't like to push limits on anything myself. That is the maximum span of the 192.x.x.x allocation, and I'm not sure it's the most efficient method. Are you putting all that burden on just a single router to issue all those DHCP addresses and serve as a gateway?

I'm not a networking expert even in home use, much less at a corporate scale. You should get other advice from more knowledgeable folks before committing to your plan. Maybe describe better how you envision this completed network environment. For example, is this LAN all inside of one building? Do all the hosts need the internet?

Good luck!

Last edited:
The company has 5 building's connected by fiber optic cables to the local servers.
The building are near each other.
All the hosts need the internet.

Since you are doing this setup for a company it would be more appropriate to consult with a company that specializes in networking setups rather than asking for advice on an internet forum. That way if things go south or you hit a bump in the road you will always have a party to fall back on, which you can't be sure of when posting on a public forum and hoping that someone might answer.

I am a technician and work for an IT company - we are responsible for this company network.

I'm asking here to see what's the advice of the other IT professionals, if my implantation idea makes sense.

Members online

Latest posts