Solved Suddenly Can't Visit Linux.org On my Laptop (No problems with my Android phone)

Solved issue
To the administrators.

@wizardfromoz
@KGIII

Maybe this is unnecessary, but I'm concerned that a question I asked in this thread may have been interpreted as a complaint about this site concerning DDoS attacks. My knowledge and understanding of how websites, i.e. this forum is kept up and running on the internet is limited.

I want to make sure everyone understands that I am NOT complaining, have NOT complained nor WOULD I complain about this website or the people who make this forum possible. It never occurred to me that a gateway error would have anything to do with administration or maintenance of this forum.

To the administrators.

@wizardfromoz
@KGIII

Maybe this is unnecessary, but I'm concerned that a question I asked in this thread may have been interpreted as a complaint about this site concerning DDoS attacks. My knowledge and understanding of how websites, i.e. this forum is kept up and running on the internet is limited.

I want to make sure everyone understands that I am NOT complaining, have NOT complained nor WOULD I complain about this website or the people who make this forum possible. It never occurred to me that a gateway error would have anything to do with administration or maintenance of this forum.

Don't worry it's the norm here...it's even worse when we get..."ooops we've run into some problems" while writing a post.
1716183860355.gif

You have the right to complain and so you should...these problems are very annoying.
1716184139374.gif

The other side of the coin -

Costs money for software, and time for someone to install it and see that it works, let alone maintain it.

This time 7 years ago, we had 5,000 members, now we have over 70,000 members. Only a handful are Silver or Gold contributing funds, for the rest it is free. We don't earn a fortune in advertising revenues, and people complain about the ads.

We have fewer Staff here than we had 7 years ago, and some of us spend 40 - 50 hours a week here and still maintain a friendly face.

This is by no means a criticism of the OP, nor others with their input - just saying, think about it, and ask yourself if you could do better?

Wiz

The other side of the coin -

Costs money for software, and time for someone to install it and see that it works, let alone maintain it.

I assumed as much. One reason I don't complain.

Only a handful are Silver or Gold contributing funds, for the rest it is free.

I'm working on it. Still getting on my feet here.
I'm not blowing my own horn here, but I have made a couple of donations and I bought a shirt.

Aside.
I was thinking of starting a new Off Topic thread, "Show Me Your Linux T-Shirt". I got the one that says "This is my Linux Shirt"

We don't earn a fortune in advertising revenues, and people complain about the ads.

I just disabled uBlock Origin for this Forum. I can deal with some ads ;-)
Since I'll know links are safe, maybe I'll buy something. But since I know Linux.org won't get much of a commission, I'd rather just give some cash.

We have fewer Staff here than we had 7 years ago, and some of us spend 40 - 50 hours a week here and still maintain a friendly face.

Another reason I don't complain.

think about it, and ask yourself if you could do better?

Wiz

Are you kidding???
I don't need to think about it. I couldn't even do a fraction of what you do!

@MikeWalsh

I recently had the same problem with linuxquestions.org. My laptop couldn't access the site and I got a 'Bad Gateway' error. The weird thing is it worked fine on Android. I was using DNS servers from Germany before. Now I'm using ones from Switzerland and Sweden, and I can access all the sites again. Not sure if that's what fixed it. I also updated IPset and added some new filters. I'll keep an eye on it.

Members online

Latest posts