Switching from windows to Linux

Regsar

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone , hope all is good with you , I have been using windows my entire life , and now I want to switch to Linux but here is the problem that I would need some advices with. the thing is that I have studied computer software engineering and my focus is with the webs and apps development , my programming language is JavaScript , so I really don't know which Linux operating system is the best one for me , So far I have ended up with "Fedora" but I don't know if it is the right choice . I appreciate any help here . cheers and thanks.

Any major and full (not lightweight) distro will let you install all the Java applications you want.

So, you can pick pretty much anything.

Any distro is fine with web developments, it doesn't really make any difference which you're using.

With most main line Linux distribution, any application can be installed. The most important thing is finding a distribution and GUI that you like and feel comfortable with ,and works well on your machine.

Hey everyone , hope all is good with you , I have been using windows my entire life , and now I want to switch to Linux but here is the problem that I would need some advices with. the thing is that I have studied computer software engineering and my focus is with the webs and apps development , my programming language is JavaScript , so I really don't know which Linux operating system is the best one for me , So far I have ended up with "Fedora" but I don't know if it is the right choice . I appreciate any help here . cheers and thanks.
Fedora is a good choice. I am also a developer and my company uses and promotes Fedora. It is well supported and powerful if not as popular as some others. You will find that developing in linux as the others said is great on most flavors of linux.

Fedora is a good choice. I am also a developer and my company uses and promotes Fedora. It is well supported and powerful if not as popular as some others. You will find that developing in linux as the others said is great on most flavors of linux.
thank you for your help

Any major and full (not lightweight) distro will let you install all the Java applications you want.

So, you can pick pretty much anything.
That's not entirely true. Puppy's definitely in the "lightweight" category, and I've never had any issues with running Java stuff of any sort there. I keep the client-side JRE packages for Puppy as up-to-date as time & opportunity permit.

I've yet to find a Java app she can't handle....

Mike. ;)

That's not entirely true. Puppy's definitely in the "lightweight" category, and I've never had any issues with running Java stuff of any sort there. I keep the client-side JRE packages for Puppy as up-to-date as time & opportunity permit.

I've yet to find a Java app she can't handle....

Mike. ;)

Yes, but as an all inclusive group I can't vouch for them all, nor the ease of doing so. I'm not going to enumerate them to say which has better odds. I want things to go easy for 'em, at least initially.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

@Regsar :-

TBH, I judge the suitability of any Linux distro by 3 criteria.

• Does it "play nice" with all your hardware.....especially networking & graphics?
  • Are you completely happy with the user interface, and the way things function?
  • Will it let you do everything you want?

If you can tick all 3 of those 'checkboxes', ask yourself one further question:-

Can you see yourself living with it full-time?

If it's 'Yes' to everything, you've got yourself a good match. (It's rather like personal relationships, in a way; those need 'working-at', too. Linux ain't so different.)

I don't know of anybody who is absolutely, 100% happy with their first choice of distro.....and never, ever feels the need to 'tweak' things a little. That's just human nature.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, but as an all inclusive group I can't vouch for them all, nor the ease of doing so. I'm not going to enumerate them to say which has better odds. I want things to go easy for 'em, at least initially.
Well, I provide the JRE client-side package for Puppians, along with the Java Control Panel utility. "Load" one, click-to-install the other. After that, it's down to the individual. You CAN only 'hand-hold' so far..!

At that, it's probably as much as mainstream distros will do for their users. So far as the apps themselves are concerned, with Java stuff it's rather like Windows software; they're all over the place - once you realise that - but the one place you won't usually find Java apps is in the distro's own secure repositories. And for that single reason, many Linux users won't have anything to do with it, because it cannot be guaranteed secure.

All I do is give 'em the choice. I don't hold a gun to their heads.

Mike. :)

If you came from the windows world i think
Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition

is the best Linux for you. It is optimized for Hardware compatibilty and non terminal use. And the look and feel is is similar to windows.

Linux Mint Download Page

I know Oracle JDK 17, can be [and is by some members] installed to Parrot security or Parrot home edition, Unless you're into penetration testing, the home edition is a good all round distribution

Hi all

Why are you'all replying so ellaboratedly on specifics about Java and JREs? OP's language is JavaScript, not Java.

Any linux distribution will do, @Regsar. Fedora, in particular, is oriented to development and hence it has some sort of opinionated set of tools to create development environments in containers (e.g.: a tool called Toolbox), but if your thing is pure JavaScript, either browser-based or node.js, things are going to be fine with pretty much any distribution.

The only thing I'd recommend if you use node.js is to install your development versions in your user's home using nvm (https://github.com/nvm-sh/nvm), as many linux distributions' admin tools use a node.js version that is expected to be present system-wide, and you should never update manually.

:) ...Welcome to Linux.org...:)
i have found Linux Mint (cinnamon) to be vary intuitive coming from win.

P.S. Timeshift and Backup tool are our friends.

As a professional programmer, I have to say it honestly doesn't matter what Linux distro you install.
You will have all of the tools you'll ever need available to you, plus a ton of other stuff you never even dreamed of!

And especially for web development - I'd say literally any distro will do.
If your main focus is Javascrpt, you only need what? A text editor (or IDE), a browser (with some developer tools/plugins) and some popular javascript frameworks?! You should find all of those on literally any distro out there.

My go-to distro has always been Debian because all of the software is mature, well tested and stable. But everybody likes different things.

At the end of the day, what's best for you is whatever runs best on your system, looks/feels best to you and allows you to work in the way you want to. I'd recommend downloading a few .iso's for a few different Linux distributions, with different desktops. Burn each of them to a spare USB stick and then give them a test-drive and see which one/ones you like.

Hi all

Why are you'all replying so ellaboratedly on specifics about Java and JREs? OP's language is JavaScript, not Java.

Any linux distribution will do, @Regsar. Fedora, in particular, is oriented to development and hence it has some sort of opinionated set of tools to create development environments in containers (e.g.: a tool called Toolbox), but if your thing is pure JavaScript, either browser-based or node.js, things are going to be fine with pretty much any distribution.

The only thing I'd recommend if you use node.js is to install your development versions in your user's home using nvm (https://github.com/nvm-sh/nvm), as many linux distributions' admin tools use a node.js version that is expected to be present system-wide, and you should never update manually.
thank you so much for all the explanation , appreciate it

As a professional programmer, I have to say it honestly doesn't matter what Linux distro you install.
You will have all of the tools you'll ever need available to you, plus a ton of other stuff you never even dreamed of!

And especially for web development - I'd say literally any distro will do.
If your main focus is Javascrpt, you only need what? A text editor (or IDE), a browser (with some developer tools/plugins) and some popular javascript frameworks?! You should find all of those on literally any distro out there.

My go-to distro has always been Debian because all of the software is mature, well tested and stable. But everybody likes different things.

At the end of the day, what's best for you is whatever runs best on your system, looks/feels best to you and allows you to work in the way you want to. I'd recommend downloading a few .iso's for a few different Linux distributions, with different desktops. Burn each of them to a spare USB stick and then give them a test-drive and see which one/ones you like.
really grateful for your time , thank you , to be honest I really like kali linux i dont know why i like the logo the environment and im like maybe i can learn some stuff about security in future with it , but im not sure if I can have all the tools there , plus i keep hear from some videos that it is a slow distro :D im a noob here i dont know , also I tried ubuntu , to be honest it was slow and buggy , didnt enjoy it , and my battery drains in almost an hour when on windows i have atleast 3 hours . my system is okeish I have f15 asus TUF , 16gb ram , intel core i7 so I think I wont be having any problem with system configs. I really want to move from windows to Linux but choosing the right distro is kinda getting on my nerves :)) you know I want to move to a distro where I wont be having any problem with any technologies that im going to use for my fullstack development journey at all cause that would be annoying if such a thing awaits for me in the future :D .

Members online