Switching to Linux

jonn

Reaction score
Credits
Will Linux Ubuntu with kde plasma desktop work 100% effectively and efficiently (I believe it's also known as kubuntu) on a MSI laptop pre-installed with windows 11 home. Model number— modern 15 B13M-407AU as if it was a Linux laptop?.

MSI laptop
Welcome to the forums, you will probably need to install WI-FI drivers as Micro-star usually use RTL chipsets, the only way to find out is download your chosen Linux distribution, write it to a USB, as an ISO, and boot it in to try/trial/test mode and check everything is working

To write the .iso to your usb thumb drive you'll need Balena Etcher.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Welcome

@jonn :-

Welcome, welcome. Don't hesitate to ask questions, even if they seem "stupid" ones.....'cos the only really "stupid" question is invariably the one you don't ask.

We like helping folks. Simple as that. And this place has a great atmosphere, too....brilliant bunch of people.

Mike. ;)

Hello @jonn,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, enjoy the journey!

Will Linux Ubuntu with kde plasma desktop work 100% effectively and efficiently (I believe it's also known as kubuntu) on a MSI laptop pre-installed with windows 11 home. Model number— modern 15 B13M-407AU as if it was a Linux laptop?.
I very much like and use Kubuntu, it does what I need it to do. I can easily install it on some Laptops, not so easily on others. When you get to the point where it says install, pick the generic video drivers, you can always go back and add the appropriate video drivers after a successful install. The very latest version of Kubuntu is going through numerous frequent updates, so do expect to add the updates as needed. The nice thing about (K)Ubuntu updates, they usually only take two or three minutes and then maybe a reboot. Ubuntu comes in several different flavors, don't be intimidated to try one or all, but limit it to one Distro at a time.

N.B. Do find and save your Windows 10/11 Key code, Microsoft License, just in case you ever decide to reinstall Windows again.

Last edited:
I am using MSI for long time/several laptops. Never had an issue with Intel based MSI laptops. In fact after receiving, I never booted windows. Just inserted USB Linux installation image and installed new OS as single system.
Your wlan card is intel so all should work. Currently I have MSI with Tiger Lake.

I am using MSI for long time/several laptops. Never had an issue with Intel based MSI laptops. In fact after receiving, I never booted windows. Just inserted USB Linux installation image and installed new OS as single system.
Your wlan card is intel so all should work. Currently I have MSI with Tiger Lake.
Thanks for replying. I bought my laptop on 1 November,2023. I reached the— lets get you connected to a network page and that's as far as i'm going with windows. I'm going straight to Linux from here. What is Tiger Lake?.

Tiger Lake is Intel 11th gen CPU released in 2021. I have i7-1185G7
The only issue I have is mic. I am not sure if this is fixed. Everything else works oit of the bat.

What is Tiger Lake?
It is one of the Intel's micro [10nm] I-7 architecture for CPU's [the latest incarnation is Raptor lake]

Latest posts