Terminal and Paste Extra Characters

asker777

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new back to Linux after a long pause. I need to often copy and paste commands but the terminal adds characters and I have to go back and delete them which is very annoying.

Any other terminals that don't do this or other advice??

Thank you.

You mean characters are added when you type? If you press 'special' keys, that is keys that don't output text/characters, this is pretty normal. Keys like INS, a shift key + directional key, will spew garbage into the terminal as they're unsupported actions.

I haven't been able to duplicate it. It doesn't happen every time but regularly. There will be a caret and 2 left brackets, number 200, tilde, and a tilde at the end.

OK, duplicated...I think it might be because I was using ctrl>V out of habit which doesn't show up and then using paste from the command line.

Thanks for answering, it helped to work through it. Hopefully, I think that is the problem.

fwiw....when pasting into terminal, I use :

Code:
ctrl+shift+v

Hopefully, I think that is the problem.

That sounds right. Not all key combinations work as expected. Like SHIFT + CTRL + C should copy without adding any extra bits to your clipboard memory in most terminals.

That sounds right. Not all key combinations work as expected. Like SHIFT + CTRL + C should copy without adding any extra bits to your clipboard memory in most terminals.
Very helpful also. Thank you.

Members online